Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after having the TSB done to address the issue of the rear shelf rattling due to bass issue with no success, I started to look in to some sound deadening hoping that it would fix my issue once and for all. I purchased about 4sq feet of Dynamat, removed the rear shelf, and then applied the dynamat to the sheet metal below the rear shelf. That worked pretty good, it minimized the severity of the problem but it did not go away completely. After further research I discovered that it is common practice to layer CCF (closed cell foam) on interior panels in order to stop them from rattling against the sheet metal. So, I then bought a water proof, closed cell, camping pad from walmart for about $9 (you can also buy something specifically made for automotive use), removed the rear shelf (yet again), and then added a layer of this camping pad -- and the rattle is now gone! :yes:

Getting started:

Begin tracing & cutting:

This is what I ended up with:

Since I had some velcro lying around, I used it to attach the foam pad to the rear shelf. This made it a lot easier when reinstalling it.

All done.

Just thought I'd share this - figured it could help at least one person who was having the same issue as me. :)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Wow, that seems like a lot of work... Good work in finding material to work as a complete shelf pad.

I don't have the TSB on the fix with felt pads, but chair leg protectors are cheaper and small enough to just stick on where the felt is to be added. I assume the fix is under the 3rd brake light, which may be accessed from inside the trunk.

There is 3 different TSBs on shelf rattle from what I understand.

Oh it looks like you have a sedan... all sedans have a trunk dampener mounted near the back of the trunk lid. Someone recently found theirs loose and could not be tightened down. It was rattling like crazy. Also 2012 coupes now have them installed too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that seems like a lot of work... Good work in finding material to work as a complete shelf pad.

I don't have the TSB on the fix with felt pads, but chair leg protectors are cheaper and small enough to just stick on where the felt is to be added. I assume the fix is under the 3rd brake light, which may be accessed from inside the trunk.

There is 3 different TSBs on shelf rattle from what I understand.

Oh it looks like you have a sedan... all sedans have a trunk dampener mounted near the back of the trunk lid. Someone recently found theirs loose and could not be tightened down. It was rattling like crazy. Also 2012 coupes now have them installed too.
I took this car to the dealer in order to address the rattle issues, and they did manage to fix the the rattle only noticeable when driving on bumpy roads.

One thing I noticed when removing the rear shelf, is that they had applied felt tape on the 3rd brake light mounting hooks, and padded up other sections of the shelf with sheets of what appeared to be white, cotton like padding (I stripped them and put dynamat over those areas, as seen in the pics). That wasn't enough to fully kill the problem, though. Fortunately for me, this worked.

By the way, I have an 09 coupe, not a sedan.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Ah, I didn't get down to the sig when replying.

Just the reflection in the pic made me think your headlights bowed out like a sedan.

Still puzzles me why the rattle shows up with bumps even after a dealer fix.

It's a freak'n puzzle with 8th gens... find the rattle!

Jesting here... Who knowz maybe a line worker dropped a quarter down the side panel. :paranoid:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, I didn't get down to the sig when replying.

Just the reflection in the pic made me think your headlights bowed out like a sedan.

Still puzzles me why the rattle shows up with bumps even after a dealer fix.

It's a freak'n puzzle with 8th gens... find the rattle!

Jesting here... Who knowz maybe a line worker dropped a quarter down the side panel. :paranoid:
I know, right! Just the other day I noticed another rattle coming from the shifter...but it seems that there is a TSB for that too. It looks really easy to do though, which is good. Just need to buy some felt tape. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine rattled even with it dynamatted so I stuffed socks between the rear glass and shelf and it stopped it
Nice, do you see the socks at all from the inside? I've seen people wedge stuff between the glass and shelf but I didn't like how you could see it from the inside.

·
Puts Ketchup on Steak
632 Posts
Pictures aren't loading at all here. I'm not even at work...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had my sub powered up and enlarged and had another rattle. The torsion bars that are under the back shelf for the trunk can rattle against each other. look in the trunk at a point where they would cross and put some padding on one or both bars.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nice, do you see the socks at all from the inside? I've seen people wedge stuff between the glass and shelf but I didn't like how you could see it from the inside.
Yea, you do. I know it's ghetto, but it did the job. I will do for now. I had jus put the system in and it still rattled with the dynamat so I couldnt enjoy the sub

·
Puts Ketchup on Steak
632 Posts
I have some 1/2" CCF stuffed on either side of the brake light hump (same place sleepy has his socks). Looks ghetto as hell, but I don't care so long as the rattles are gone. I might try the walmart mat though. I just dread the thought of taking that shelf out again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have some 1/2" CCF stuffed on either side of the brake light hump (same place sleepy has his socks). Looks ghetto as hell, but I don't care so long as the rattles are gone. I might try the walmart mat though. I just dread the thought of taking that shelf out again.
Yeah the shelf is a pain to take out. I'll think of a better idea then the socks, when i eventually take the shelf again. Prolly not till I decide Im ready to change the interior to black. But for now the socks work. I just have to push them back down inside every now and then cuz the bass pressure pushes them out

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i plan on doing this in a couple weeks, im gonna use dyna mat, is the shelf hard to get out?
The shelf is annoying to get out as sleepy said. If you do this, make sure you complement the dynamat with CCF. Dynamat alone did not give me a rattle free rear deck (due to bass).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts