Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
2003 I4 Noble Green EX
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have just completed the triple ATF drain and flush on the 2003 EX I4 at 41,600 miles. A picture tells a thousand words....

Left to right are the first, second, and third drain samples. On the right is a sample of virgin Honda ATF for comparison.

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
:ugh: Just did a drain/fill on my 03 I4. Think it's not too late to go ahead and flush?

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,510 Posts
I change out 3 quarts every 15k miles. Stays pretty clean so far (82k miles).

·
Registered
204 Posts
Link to a bigger pic?

·
2003 I4 Noble Green EX
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the link to the photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5127687638/

We just bought the car 3 weeks ago, and I have been changing all the fluids and correcting the mistakes from the previous owner (who took the car to aftermarket shops who don't know a thing about Honda requirements). I just drained out all the generic green coolant tonight and put in the proper Honda blue. I also bought and installed the parts to rectify the rough idle per Honda TSB 04-024 (front engine mount, radiator bushings, and front bumper mass). Those plus a new exhaust A-pipe mount has smoothed things out pretty well. I'm enjoying working on this beast, almost as much as our Bimmers. It's certainly more rewarding to wrench on than the old Camry that was this car's predecessor (Wife's commuter pod).

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey guys, I just bought a 03 EX with 120k on it 2.4L auto, love the car (seems like a upgrade after owning a 03 Camry SE)

this car was dealer maintained most of the time, should i assume my trans has been drained and filled normally every 30k? the carfax just shows in going in for service every so often for oil changes to local honda dealer, but doesn't tell me if they where doing drain and fill on the trans..

guess i should probably go ahead and do it :dunno:

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,914 Posts
:ugh: Just did a drain/fill on my 03 I4. Think it's not too late to go ahead and flush?
Honda is very specific about NOT flushing the transmission. They recommend the trans be drained and filled three times in a short time frame.

Hey guys, I just bought a 03 EX with 120k on it 2.4L auto, love the car (seems like a upgrade after owning a 03 Camry SE)

this car was dealer maintained most of the time, should i assume my trans has been drained and filled normally every 30k? the carfax just shows in going in for service every so often for oil changes to local honda dealer, but doesn't tell me if they where doing drain and fill on the trans..
Assume that it was not done.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
hmm.. i have no idea how these fluids and liquids stuff works.. but i bought my 07 used with around 19k miles. now i have around 21500 miles. should i be worried about this or no? any maintenance i should worry about? havent really had any problems with the car.

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I change out 3 quarts every 15k miles. Stays pretty clean so far (82k miles).
Im gonna do it every 10k-12k or sooner... Just got the trans replaced at 46k... Now Im almost at 52k and Im thinking of doing it. May be a little premature but Idk... May wait until spring or so...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
My car has about 26k miles now. Going to have to do this soon. I checked the dipstick today and it was still sort of pink. Debating whether to do it myself or take it in..

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
My car has about 26k miles now. Going to have to do this soon. I checked the dipstick today and it was still sort of pink. Debating whether to do it myself or take it in..
It wasn't hard for me to do it myself on my V6.

·
Registered
28 Posts
changing my mind

Excellent pictures! It is making me re-think my idea of changing ATF once every 10000 miles (every other oil change).

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,510 Posts
I would also recommend changing the filter every 50k more or less. I will probably change mine for the second time at 90k (if I can wait that long).

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,510 Posts
Prior to the first ATF change, i always thought my ATF was pink enough...
When you dip the "virgin" oil by the side on a paper towel, and you will see the difference.
I also recommend to change the ATF early (prior to 15k miles)

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16006&page=2
We do a fair amount of stop-and-go driving, but I think the 15k mile interval is working well so far. I changed the filter at 60k, the first time, but I think I'll change it again at 90k. The fluid I drain out is never brown, or black, so 1 - 3 quart change makes it look pink again. How much metal I find on the drain plug magnet, will determine whether or not I change the filter again at 90k.

I say change it as often as necessary, to keep it clean, what ever interval it takes.

·
Carpe Diem
3,159 Posts
OP, I hope you changed the tranny filter as well. If you think the fluid looked bad, just wait until you see the filter.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts