Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 EX-L V6 and it came with the "premium" sound system, which (in my opinion) is completely useless...

it's been a little over a year with my new accord and the subwoofer has been rattling it's butt off. i did read up on a lot of threads that suggest putting some kind of insulation or liner in there so it wouldn't vibrate as much, but i'm kind of tired and this system and want to upgrade. thinking about the whole set of components, rear speakers, sub and an amp.

what are your suggestions? have any of you guys installed aftermarket audio systems and had any problems with the electronics of the car? such as the bluetooth not working, the screen not functioning right, etc? i'm just worried on this whole "voiding my warranty" deal, i know dealerships will try to do anything to not fix warranty problems. what are all of your experiences?

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts
I have a 2014 EX-L V6 and it came with the "premium" sound system, which (in my opinion) is completely useless...

it's been a little over a year with my new accord and the subwoofer has been rattling it's butt off. i did read up on a lot of threads that suggest putting some kind of insulation or liner in there so it wouldn't vibrate as much, but i'm kind of tired and this system and want to upgrade. thinking about the whole set of components, rear speakers, sub and an amp.

what are your suggestions? have any of you guys installed aftermarket audio systems and had any problems with the electronics of the car? such as the bluetooth not working, the screen not functioning right, etc? i'm just worried on this whole "voiding my warranty" deal, i know dealerships will try to do anything to not fix warranty problems. what are all of your experiences?
If you break your audio system under warranty then the dealer won't fix your mistakes.

There is a treasure check of knowledge and answers to all your questions here:

Audio, Electronics & Lighting - Drive Accord Honda Forums

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes, please do read all the various threads about our "Premium Sound" systems, there are a few hacks/fixes employed. I've done all three of these which have improved the fidelity from terrible to borderline mediocre:

-Stuffing socks from the trunk in between the metal roof of the trunk and the rear deck to eliminate sub rattle (which is funny because the sub seems to barely contribute to the sound experience other than potentially rattle)
-Disconnecting the ANC (active noise cancellation) module from behind the head unit
-Enter the developer menus and set DSP to Flat-On

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/138-audio-electronics-lighting/158330-free-30-second-audio-upgrade-touring-model.html

·
Registered
650 Posts
The 30 second audio upgrade really helped....still have it....OP, do it..it stays on, even though it says it doesn't...

·
Registered
583 Posts
The 30 second audio upgrade really helped....still have it....OP, do it..it stays on, even though it says it doesn't...
I noticed the EX-L premium system only had adjustments for Bass and Treble. Surprising not even an adjustmennt for midrange.

I couldn't get it to sound very good in the rental EX-L and the FM radio sounded pretty dull.

·
Registered
172 Posts
XM sounds very good, CDs sound very good, FM sounds like a transittor radio, even after 30 second mod.

Question is, why does two out of three sound good on the same piece of equipment
and is there any mods to improve FM?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ok, but most people aren't technical as you are, and can wasily identify with the term when describing a tin-ny sound.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers in utilizing an incorrect terminology. After I've put you through all this, I hope my apology suffices and doesn't prevent you from enjoy your weekend.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Ok, but most people aren't technical as you are, and can wasily identify with the term when describing a tin-ny sound.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers in utilizing an incorrect terminology. After I've put you through all this, I hope my apology suffices and doesn't prevent you from enjoy your weekend.
Perhaps you missed the smiley. It's not yellow. I was just making a (bad) pun.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sorry, just stressed

·
Lebowski Urban Achiever
301 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
The sound system really is terrible and Honda should be ashamed for labeling it premium. My car is in the shop right now getting a system installed and I've been driving a 2014 Corolla, which murders the "premium" sound in the Accord. The clarity is 10x better and you can actually adjust the midrange and speaker alignment surprisingly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The sound system really is terrible and Honda should be ashamed for labeling it premium. My car is in the shop right now getting a system installed and I've been driving a 2014 Corolla, which murders the "premium" sound in the Accord. The clarity is 10x better and you can actually adjust the midrange and speaker alignment surprisingly.
Is it a base Corolla? Seems like Toyota sound systems are way ahead what Honda has. I'm surprised the sub rattle that the OP is talking about it still an issue on our 9th gens. My 8th gen had the premium sound and I couldn't enjoy my music properly because of the rattle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is it a base Corolla? Seems like Toyota sound systems are way ahead what Honda has. I'm surprised the sub rattle that the OP is talking about it still an issue on our 9th gens. My 8th gen had the premium sound and I couldn't enjoy my music properly because of the rattle.
It was an LE. And every accord that i've been in has had a terrible system =\

1 - 18 of 18 Posts