Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoughts about the car after first road trip

5K views 48 replies 20 participants last post by  Aviography 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

For thanksgiving me and my family took a road trip to my grandmothers house about 200 miles away. Normally we drive my moms BMW but sense I got a car we decided to take mine.

Thoughts about the trip: Day before we left the battery died, not sure how, I spent about two hours cleaning the exterior and interior.....I had to open and close the doors which caused my lights to go on and off still don't think that should of caused it (got the car cpo back in august).

Thanksgiving Day: We hit the highway first thing I notice is when going over 85 there is a slight vibration is that normal? Another thing I noticed when braking it vibrates a lot?? Last thing I heard a lot of the highway noises even when I had the music up.

Ok, so everyone wants to bash me for going 112 for a brief second its ok. I know it was wrong and I'm not really bragging. Everyone that commented is missing the point. MY PARENTS DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING BECAUSE I WASN'T SPEED DURING THE WHOLE TRIP!

#2 ·
about the battery dieing. I spend hours cleaning my car and i have the music on and it has never died on me.

#3 ·
I also went on a trip on Thanksgiving day and returned today (approx. 300 miles roundtrip). In here the speed limit on the Interstate is 75, so I drove slightly below 80 all the way on cruise. In certain places I did accelerate although never crossed 90. The car was fully loaded with bags and other stuff and we were 4people in the car. The car drove as smooth as silk and had no issues regarding brakes or acceleration. It never vibrated at any speed and the interior was quiet at all speed. I really loved driving this car. While in Las Vegas, I loved accelerating through the surface streets. I have a 2010 Accord EXL V6 with Navigation.

#4 ·
112....with your family in the car...

You are an effin' moron. There is no excuse.

Stupid people shouldn't have a nice anything.

What if your tire blew out for w/e reason? I swear, I hate it when young people act younger than their age suggests.

Yeah, I hit 120 in my coupe...whoopty doo...except i did it at a freakin' track. You should be ashamed of yourself and you shouldn't be posting your stupid nonsense in a public forum where 16 year olds get ideas.

#6 ·
lmao damn...

#7 ·
While the highway's in the US are not designed to be traveled on at those speeds, 110 mph is considered normal by most European Standards. I've traveled in cars averaging 100 mph on autobahns and it's fine.

The vibration during braking at highway speeds is not "normal." While a tiny bit may be within the acceptable limits, if your steering wheel or the entire car was shaking you need to have your rotors examined.

#8 ·
Hey everyone,

For thanksgiving me and my family took a road trip to my grandmothers house about 200 miles away. Normally we drive my moms BMW but sense I got a car we decided to take mine.

Thoughts about the trip: Day before we left the battery died, not sure how, I spent about two hours cleaning the exterior and interior.....I had to open and close the doors which caused my lights to go on and off still don't think that should of caused it (got the car cpo back in august).

Thanksgiving Day: We hit the highway first thing I notice is when going over 85 there is a slight vibration is that normal? Another thing I noticed when braking it vibrates a lot?? Last thing I heard a lot of the highway noises even when I had the music up.

Top speed: 112(only once while passing), pretty smooth didn't feel like I was going to be taken over by the wind.
That is extremely stupid and illegal to the point you would likely in almost all 50 states be charged with a felony, have your car impounded and spend a night in jail.

To make this even more stupid you noticed that there is a significant vibration likely coming from an unbalanced wheel, potentially bent wheel, or because you have a bubble in the sidewall in the tire which could pose more risk of a blowout. I would look at the inside of the front wheels and see if you have a sticky weight on both wheels on it like you should on the rest of your wheels for starters to figure out if the wheel needs to be rebalanced to rule that out, and also inspect the sidewall of the front tires for bubbles...

Your brakes are shaking when you step on them likely due to the fact the rotors are warped. If you ended up slamming on your brakes from a 112 to say down 60 or 70 the heat from that one stop alone could likely cause your stock rotors to warp from that action. If you slam on your brakes from high speeds often you will warp the rotors.

I suggest you start taking driving drastically more seriously, learn how to do so safely for you and your family's sake and anyone else that is on the road that has to worry about you colliding with them while being so reckless.

#12 ·
Assuming the speed limit is 65/75 mph, if one needs to reach triple digit speeds to pass another driver, then they shouldn't be passing him in the first place.

When I drive on Rt. 80/280/287, I95 or the GSP, i never need to go past 80 to pass anyone, considering that on most days the traffic in the left lane of I95 is moving at 80 as if it were the speed limit.

Long story short, if his parents won't tell him how retarded his actions were, it is our job as a society to tell him. If he wants to drive his BigRed Slushbox in the triple digits, he should take it to the track, where an unforeseen mistake/event will not complicate the lives of others.

To restate my point, there is NO NEED to break the speed limit by at least 35mph+ to "pass" someone.

And yes, we have all done dumb things when we were younger, but that shouldn't be used as an excuse for now. Smart kids learn from the mistakes of others (not in all cases, but this one is definitely one of them).

#10 ·
People do stupid things whey they're young... I took my 2001 Prelude and my friend had his 2000 GS-R and went to myrtle beach w/ our friends... top speed was very fast and that was for a good bit of time. I'd never do it now and don't go more than 10mph over now.

He's safe, which is what matters.

I'm sure all of you have done dumb things at a younger age.

#11 ·
That might be the case, but it doesn't mean OP doesn't deserve a scolding when he brags about such an inappropriate speed on a public highway with other traffic around at much slower but legal speed.

And no he is not "safe", he is only just lucky, his and his family members' luck will run out one day if he keeps this up.

#16 ·
good answer by the moderator.....:thmsup: I'm sure all of you never hit 110mph. Stupid to do with family in the car, but wow on the holier than thou crew today. Oh wait, it is Sunday.... Seems like calling someone retarded in a public forum is a right up there with his childish actions. So now you can ban me moderator

#17 ·
Oh I have hit 110 MPH & faster many, many years ago, and you know what? That WAS retarded. I've had much more powerful and faster cars since but the only time I do go that fast is on a race track.

And the difference is that I don't go around bragging about it, and all that was said is the action of driving at that speed on public roads with other surrounding traffic at much lower (and legal) speed is retarded.

But if the shoe fits..............

#18 ·
you missed or ignored the point, but I am not gonna argue the fact that bragging about going 110 with family in tow is stupid!

#21 ·
Ok, my question is this...Why on earth did his PARENT'S not say anything to him? I mean, if I was in the car with my teenager and she was driving even a few miles too much over the speed limit, you can bet that I'd be saying something and quick.

It's his PARENT'S responsibility to say something, NOT ours.

#22 ·
It's his PARENT'S responsibility to say something, NOT ours.
Welcome to America!!! Been here long? Parents here dare not hold their precious kids accountable for anything. I assure you, if an accident occured and the driver and his family lived, they would be looking to sue someone because surely it wasn't the young driver's fault.

Now I will add one thing. If a driver hurts my family member while driving 110 MPH, I would attempt to bring an equivalent amount of physical pain and suffering to the driver by any means necessary.

#23 ·
Speaking AS a parent, I can assure you not all parents are as lax as you believe they are.

#30 ·
Wow, I've gone 120 driving by myself on an empty highway when I was much younger but I wouldn't be as careless to do that in traffic WITH MY FAMILY IN THE CAR.

Anyway. Your battery shouldn't die and your car shouldn't vibrate. But our cars are terribly insulated so yes you will get a lot of road noise.

Also the stock tires are just about the worst you can get in terms of noise/comfort. Concrete tires would be quieter/smoother than the crap they put on the Accord at the factory.

#34 ·
all:

let's be for real here: the OP was stupid and immature for going such a high speed on a public highway, regardless of traffic, weather conditions, experience, condition of road.

that being said, it noone has the right to act holier than thou, like their poo don't stink. most of us have done it, some of us won't do it again unless they are at a track. others will do it again and again til they kill someone or themselves.

none of us are perfect. if we were, we probably wouldn't be debating this point to begin with.

keep it civil, or the thread will be locked, NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

#37 ·
Ok, so everyone wants to bash me for going 112 for a brief second its ok. I know it was wrong and I'm not really bragging. Everyone that commented is missing the point. MY PARENTS DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING BECAUSE I WASN'T SPEED DURING THE WHOLE TRIP!
You weren't speeding the whole trip? Bullshit. You admitted you were going with the flow of traffic, "I wouldn't do 110 for the hell of it .. "

You mentioned twice that you were speeding .. one at over 85mph from original post and the 110+ bit .. quit trying to go back and try to cover up your mistakes .. like you said "what's done is done".

Your parents probably didn't say anything because you were "going with the flow" and didn't actually look at your speedometer.

#38 ·
OP, don't sweat the comments too much, everyone is looking for a little stimulation in their Sunday today. Just use some common sense in the future and let's all get on with it.

#40 ·
this for sure has been the dumbest thread about nothing I have ever read... It is like watching a train wreck just want to see who is gonna make another jacked up comment... Here, the original questions were really kind of pointless, and all the over dramatic hypocrites preaching constraint with thousands of dollars of go fast mods in their signatures. Oh my God, he was speeding! whatever....... Go harp on a drug dealer or something, not a guy talking about speeding on a car forum.

#44 ·
i wouldn't be suprised if the op thinks this forum has a bunch of douchebags...

#45 ·
The majority of the forum could care less. We are douche bags because we called him out on his careless driving .. jeez we are scum!

Okay let me make a thread and I'll say:

"Hey guys I was doing 125mph on the highway and my tires blew out .. well I went on to reading about my tires and they are only rated for 110mph .. wtf why would that happen?!"

Replies:

"You should've read what your tires are rated at before driving like an idiot and putting lives at risk because you want to go way over the speed limit."

"Idiot, you could've killed someone and you want to know why your tires blew .. "

Self Thoughts:

"Well that was dumb of me to even post this because that was pretty stupid of me, I should use some common sense next time before I post something without thinking."

#49 ·
Some of the last few posts are effectively baiting for a retaliatory response, the thread is closed rather than the other option which is issuing infractions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.