Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting some thoughts and opinions from others regarding changes made to the 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid, specifically the Touring trim level.

After the reveal of the 2021 refresh I was kind of underwhelmed by the changes. But as a new 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring Owner (June 2020) I was quite relieved that my newly purchased vehicle wasn't looking "old" and irrelevant now. One thing I'm interested to get some opinions on are the '21 Hybrid Touring wheels? Do you like them? Do you hate them? And what about the loss in mileage due to these 19" wheels?

For me personally, I really liked the 19" wheels on the 2020 2.0 Touring and actually considered buying a set and swapping them out. But then came the issue of the loss in fuel economy due to the larger wheels. For 2021, Honda is estimating fuel economy at 44/41/43 (City/Hwy/Combined) for the Touring Trim and 48/48/48 for Base, EX, and EX-L.

It doesn't sound like a big hit at the pump on paper, but mile after mile, tank after tank.... It adds up. Personally, I'm happy that I have the 2020 Touring model as I think the loss in efficiency would be a deal breaker for me and moving down to an EX-L and losing some of the features the Touring has to offer wouldn't do it for me.

Anyway, I'm interested to know other opinions on this.... Does the increased wheel size and new design appeal to you and would the loss in mileage on the Touring Trim persuade you to a lower trim or to a gas only model?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the new 19" wheels look nice, but I'm not sure an 11.6% decrease in fuel economy is worth it. That's pretty significant.

One of the primary reasons for buying a hybrid in the first place is fuel economy, right? :)
I'm agreeing with you! I will say I was really anticipating the release of the 2021 refresh and prepared to be disappointed that I hadn't waited for a 2021. But for me, it's actually the opposite. I'm kind of glad I purchased when I did! Not saying I don't like some of the new features the refresh has to offer, but that fuel economy.... I stare at it and those numbers stare back at me, and I just can't. :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also like the softer ride the 17" wheels give you due to the higher tire sidewalls.

- Jack
YES! That is another thought that had crossed my mind! Where I live, Oklahoma, the roads are C-R-A-P and the suspension on the HAH does a nice job of taking a big bite out of that and the tires are for sure a big contributing factor.

Also wondered about replacement cost of the 17" VS 19" rubber. I would like to think that the 19" would be more expensive due to the low profile design.

But good of you to point out the ride! Definitely would be something to take into consideration.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Accord Touring Hybrid Platinum White Metallic with Ivory Interior
2 Posts
I agree with everything you guys are saying. I bought a 2020 Touring Hybrid 10 days ago. I cant tell much of difference in the front end to make me regret my purchase. I was actually excited to see the new wheels for the Touring Hybrid and was considering purchasing for my car but then saw the MPG loss and realized that's a similar loss of MPG any other bigger heavier wheel would give. I'm on the fence about getting new wheels. I'm in Utah and have other Snow cars we can drive so the Accord can sit. I don't have to get Snow tires but if I did I'd get 19 inch wheels. I love the ride and MPG of the 17's but at some point the car needs new wheels to make it pop more.

·
Registered
448 Posts
YES! That is another thought that had crossed my mind! Where I live, Oklahoma, the roads are C-R-A-P and the suspension on the HAH does a nice job of taking a big bite out of that and the tires are for sure a big contributing factor.

Also wondered about replacement cost of the 17" VS 19" rubber. I would like to think that the 19" would be more expensive due to the low profile design.

But good of you to point out the ride! Definitely would be something to take into consideration.
I don't know anything about the cost differential between the two types of tires, but it's easy to find if you look on Tire Rack's or Discount Tire's websites (among others).

I should have added, to my previous post, that I don't really care for the looks of a very large rim with just a little black rubber ring around it. To me, it looks too much like the car is riding on metal, rather than tires. But I know that's a subjective opinion, and others DO like the look. I think the 17" rims and tires have a nicely "balanced" look.

- Jack

·
Registered
2020 Touring 2.0T
56 Posts
. . . I should have added, to my previous post, that I don't really care for the looks of a very large rim with just a little black rubber ring around it. To me, it looks too much like the car is riding on metal, rather than tires. But I know that's a subjective opinion, and others DO like the look. I think the 17" rims and tires have a nicely "balanced" look.

- Jack
What I don’t understand is why Honda makes the choice between 17” and 19” wheels. For example, BMW has 18” wheels as standard equipment on many of its cars. Some research has shown that to be an optimum size compromise between good handling and providing a decent ride without excessive noise. Why not 18’s on Accords?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Intrigued. What about the new infotainment system? Apparently upgraded, but not sure how different. You get wireless CarPlay but my understanding is it's only on the Touring and EX-L. I'd lean more toward an EX-L but the color choices seem limited - red, white, black or silver.

I think the big wheels would scare me off the Touring.

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
156 Posts
What I don’t understand is why Honda makes the choice between 17” and 19” wheels. For example, BMW has 18” wheels as standard equipment on many of its cars. Some research has shown that to be an optimum size compromise between good handling and providing a decent ride without excessive noise. Why not 18’s on Accords?
This also puzzles me. The same Accord sold in Chinese market has 18” wheel on high-end trims, instead of 19”.

Maybe they have a deal with tire companies that you gonna pay more for the 19” tires!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I hadn't noticed that the 2021 Hybrid Touring mpg numbers went down by so much.

I DO like the look of the 2021 19" wheels, more so than even the 2020 19" wheels.

BUT, I would rather have the better mileage of the 17" hybrid-style wheels (that I have on my 2018 Hybrid Touring).

Plus, I like the smoother ride of 17" tires, as well as less risk of rim damage from pot-holes, and also somewhat reduced risk of "curb rash".

I think that the worse mileage is due to three inter-related factors:
  • worse aerodynamics of the wheel design itself
  • the effect of 19" lower-profile tires versus 17"
  • the fact that low rolling-resistance tires are used on the 17" hybrid wheels, and (I'm guessing), are not used (and may not even be available) for the 19" wheels.
When I need to get new tires for my 2018, I will quite likely NOT get low-rolling resistance tires, preferring to get a somewhat better handling (and braking) "regular rolling resistance" tire, that will also (probably) cost less than the Michelin Energy Saver tires that came with my car. I assume I will be giving up maybe a couple of mpg, but not nearly as much as the 2021 Hybrid Touring is giving up....

While those 2021 Touring wheels are very nice looking, the 17" Hybrid wheels are not bad looking, at all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2018 2.0 Touring and will be replacing it at the end of the year as i use the car as a "Company Car" and need warranty. I was super excited about the 2021 Hybrid Touring until i saw the MPG penalty with 19" wheels. I do like the sytle of those wheels but on the freeway my 2.0 gets around 36-38 mpg so the difference is negligble. Since i drive about 75% freeway maybe I'm looking at the 2.0 Touring again.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I understand why Honda puts the 19" wheels on the Sport trim. I can even maybe understand why they would put it on the gas Touring trim.... but it just seems like a really foolish decision to put those large (likely heavy) wheels on the Hybrid Touring and have the mileage suffer so much.

I agree with others about how Honda should offer an 18" wheel option- at least as an accessory on the 10th Generation Accord. Other than the people who buy the Sport trim, I can't believe that many people would refuse to buy an Accord Touring because Honda put 18" wheels instead of 19" wheels... especially on the Hybrid.

It kind-of completely defeats the point of buying a hybrid.

The new 19" Touring wheels on the 2021 Accord would almost certainly look just as nice in an 18" size.

·
Registered
Silver '18 HAH
9 Posts
Those 19" Grand Touring wheels look so much better that the 17"s that come on the '18 hybrid, and I've been wanting to swap them onto my HAH Touring, but after reading what others have said on this forum about the harsh ride of the 19"s, plus the curb rash and the MPG decrease - I'm starting to think they look good enough....but I'll always see 'em on other Accords and think how nice they look....

·
Registered
471 Posts
If I could have easily pulled-off a “minus-one” on my 2019 Touring 2.0T, I would have!

At least the wheel/tire warranty was cheaper, and it’s paid for itself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The wheels were among the few things I did not like about my '19 Hybrid Touring. Not because of the 17" diameter, but the styling isn't exactly up my alley. Like others in this thread, I was concerned about larger rims' comfort, price of the tires and reliability on poor roads. So I have not pulled the trigger on other wheels yet. If at all, I would probably go for 18" rims, or simply 17"ers with different styling.

As for the price of tires, those Michelin Energy Savers are pretty pricey! I had to replace one after a flat and swallowed hard! You get pretty decent 18" or 19" tires at that price point! That said, the performance is rather impressive for 17" energy saver tires!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
In regards to the price of the Michelin Tires on '18-'20 Touring models, those are pricey tires! I did buy tire warranty from Discount Tire just after purchasing the car. Cost me $165 bucks! 3 months earlier, I did the same thing with my 2020 CR-V Hybrid Touring and the cost was $99 dollars. Kind of odd seeing as it has larger 19" wheels. Tires on it are Continental Cross Contact.

When I asked the sales guy at Discount Tire why the price difference on their warranty, he stated that the Michelin tires just cost a lot more. Guess that's the way life is!

As for design on the '18-'20 hybrid wheels, I'm not head over heals for the look either... Especially for the Touring trim. We pay a premium price to go Touring so I think we should get some different wheels to differentiate the trim levels. But I'm not about to risk fuel economy for nicer rims.

And try to think of it this way... Many Tesla Model 3's come with plastic wheel covers. You may not be over the moon with your 17" HAH wheels but at least they are true alloys and not plastic! Glass half full!

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Touring model is not built for all out MPG maximization. If you are looking for that then go buy a Prius. You can't have it both ways. Do you want all out gas mileage or do you want some luxury and/or performance? If so, it comes at a cost.

·
Registered
27 Posts
In regards to the price of the Michelin Tires on '18-'20 Touring models, those are pricey tires! I did buy tire warranty from Discount Tire just after purchasing the car. Cost me $165 bucks! 3 months earlier, I did the same thing with my 2020 CR-V Hybrid Touring and the cost was $99 dollars. Kind of odd seeing as it has larger 19" wheels. Tires on it are Continental Cross Contact.

When I asked the sales guy at Discount Tire why the price difference on their warranty, he stated that the Michelin tires just cost a lot more. Guess that's the way life is!

As for design on the '18-'20 hybrid wheels, I'm not head over heals for the look either... Especially for the Touring trim. We pay a premium price to go Touring so I think we should get some different wheels to differentiate the trim levels. But I'm not about to risk fuel economy for nicer rims.

And try to think of it this way... Many Tesla Model 3's come with plastic wheel covers. You may not be over the moon with your 17" HAH wheels but at least they are true alloys and not plastic! Glass half full!
Just sayin'........there are some really nice rims underneath those plastic aero caps on the base Tesla Model 3.

The Touring model is not built for all out MPG maximization. If you are looking for that then go buy a Prius. You can't have it both ways. Do you want all out gas mileage or do you want some luxury and/or performance? If so, it comes at a cost.
Actually in the 2018, 2019 and 2020 you could have it both ways. The touring models offered the same mpg as the base or ex, etc...
We have 2018 and 2019 Touring Hybrids.

At first we wanted sport or 2.0T Touring rims for our touring hybrids and were slightly disappointed with the 17" hybrid rims. Over time, we have come to appreciate them and we feel they are quite classy looking. I actually prefer them now to the other choices. But I'm in my late 40's and I understand tastes refine with age and if I were in my 20's or 30's I may prefer the more sporty rims. Peace and happy hybriding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts