Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody here have theirs powder coated and what do they think about this process? Heres some ideas on what I want to do:

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
NOOO PLEASE!!

When will people stop ruining their cars by painting stock wheels black! And it doesn't look good at all! Rather than spending money on that, go get your roof black, get coilovers, get a retrofit, something else...

·
Registered
396 Posts
NOOO PLEASE!!

When will people stop ruining their cars by painting stock wheels black! And it doesn't look good at all! Rather than spending money on that, go get your roof black, get coilovers, get a retrofit, something else...
While at less he didn't add spinners

·
Registered
143 Posts
Poor sport rims ;(

·
Banned
5,773 Posts
At least if you're going this route, powder coating would be the right way to do it unlike all these people using plastidip and making their cars look cheap.

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
To me, it looks like the car has steelies.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Powder coating is the proper way to change the wheel color. It can be expensive but the process will ensure it lasts.
Black isn't the only color option either, a good shop can coat in just about any color imaginable.
Powder coating the calipers, same thing.
I say go for it if you have the $$$$.
(I'm not hating on plasti-dip or rattle cans)

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would say no. Red calipers and black wheels are way overdone. And they look especially out of place on an accord sedan. However, powder coating would be the correct way of going about it, rather than plasti-dip/rattle cans. You spend thousands on a nice car, why cheap it out with crap.

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
The only way black rims have any chance of looking good is with some other color to set them off. You need to find a way to break up the black color of the tire with the black color of the rims. The just look permanently dirty to me. Put a red pin strip to bring out the brakes a bit. Paint the flat face white, and the side of each spoke black (thats what I think I want to do). Or maybe get tires with white lettering to match the body. You gotta tie colors together to make it look custom and creative. Just black is so bland, so ugly.

The one positive I will give you is that the powder coating is a lot better looking and cleaner than plasti dip and rattle can. It at least has a little bit of a shine to it.

Good luck

Final tip: after looking at your pictures more, why dont you try a red pin strip on the lip, red lug nuts, and a red H emblem. That might set it off nice and tie everything together.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes, powdercoat is the way to go. Also, if you want to do the calipers, make sure they are media blasted before you have the coating done. A cheaper alternative to the powdercoating of the calipers is caliper epoxy. It's applied with a brush like a paint, but has a chip-resistant surface. G2 Caliper Expoxy--works well.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
To me, it looks like the car has steelies.
I agree. When I was growing up black rims meant that you could not afford hubcaps. I just just cant get past that. I see black rims on a car and my mind automatically thinks cheap.

That being said, I have tossed around having my OE rims powdercoated a darker grey. They are too close in color to ASM.

Jay (Post #900)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. I agree the red brake calipers are going too far lol, but to me the gloss black rims look good. Idk I guess it's a matter of perspective.

·
It's a Coupe or nothing
213 Posts
I think these would look nice if the middle shined silver remained, and just do the gray in more of a flat black.

P.S. I am having a hard time finding wheels that look better than the stock sport 18".

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think these would look nice if the middle shined silver remained, and just do the gray in more of a flat black.

P.S. I am having a hard time finding wheels that look better than the stock sport 18".
It is hard to justify spending hundreds/thousands on something unless it makes a crazy difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my old set of OEM 17 inch that I bought at a scrap yard powder coated black. Where I live its not the best idea to stay on stock 19 inch during winter so this was a cool option. Cost me around 230$ For paint and 200$ for rims. I mean isnt it better than the silver stock wheels?

2016 accord sedan touring v6

1 - 17 of 17 Posts