Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Picked up a 2013 Accord, LX manual, three weeks ago and just want to give my feedback.

Bit of history to level set -- Always been a Honda driver..

1986 Prelude
1992 Accord
2001 Prelude
2003 TL
2004 CRV

The CRV had 170k and the AC went -- Couldn't justify dropping more than $1100 to fix it. So I found the Preowned Accord and grabbed it.

LOVE the manual tranny/gearbox, like putting on an old pair of sweatpants -- smooth and predictable, fun to drive. Had to get used to the 6th gear!

Very impressed with the mileage. My old CRV would get 20-22, and the Accord is mostly around 30 in mixed driving, and well over 40 on Highway going 60. The direct injection engines do nice work! Also impressed with the acceleration, course bear in mind that I was used to a 10 year old CRV. Its all relative.

Backup camera is fun, my son loves it, but comon-- dont be lazy, turn your head around! I don't have the lane watch, but Ill assume I would give that a similar review. Its nice, but can lead to trouble if you get lazy.

Def miss not having a moonroof, but Ill get over it. Sound system is a bit weak, but itll do --- my days of blasting Motley Crue are long gone -- this will do just fine.

Kinda small wheels -- 16's I believe.. thats ok --- cheaper to replace the tires when its time. How are the stock Continentals in the snow?

Haven't done an oil change yet --- Is the oil filter in an easy place to get?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Backup camera is fun, my son loves it, but comon-- dont be lazy, turn your head around! I don't have the lane watch, but Ill assume I would give that a similar review. Its nice, but can lead to trouble if you get lazy.
I think my turn signals are fun too - but come on don't be lazy - stick your arms out the window and give a proper hand signal :)

In all seriousness - I think lane watch is one of the most useful tools to be integrated into a car in a long time - I really don't understand why other auto manufacturers haven't jumped on the bandwagon and integrated it as well. Properly used (you can turn it on to see EXACTLY what is happening while keeping your head and eyes pointed forward) it's pretty awesome IMO!

Congrats on the new ride!

·
Long live the manual
728 Posts
In all seriousness - I think lane watch is one of the most useful tools to be integrated into a car in a long time - I really don't understand why other auto manufacturers haven't jumped on the bandwagon and integrated it as well. Properly used (you can turn it on to see EXACTLY what is happening while keeping your head and eyes pointed forward) it's pretty awesome IMO!

Congrats on the new ride!
I keep hearing car manufacturers talking about replacing our side view mirrors with cameras instead ( Lane Watch On Steroids ) !
I'm sure that would mean a little less wind resistance with less mass outside the doors. So better MPGs too !

Welcome to the 9th Gen Forum Bones !

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new ride. Thanks for your observations. What year and how many miles on the car?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Kinda small wheels -- 16's I believe.. thats ok --- cheaper to replace the tires when its time. How are the stock Continentals in the snow?
My LX came with Firestone's, so I'm not 100% sure this is right, but if Tire Rack is right that they're ContiProContacts, then it looks like they're pretty bad in snow based on the user reviews of them. On the bright side, at least you don't have the OEM Firestone's - they're worse in every single category!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The only time I ever had to do that in a car was for my driver's test! Examiner asked me to demonstrate the braking signal (IIRC, one of them anyhow).
My first motorcycle was a old piece of crap that didn't have functional turn signals - I had to use the old analog hand signals all the time but I never knew if the people behind me understood what I was trying to tell them!

·
No PRND
749 Posts
Welcome, good choice with the manual. I like your list of previous cars as well, I'm a big Prelude fan (might miss those more than my S2000). My Sport came with Goodyears from the factory, changing them was the single best performance upgrade I have done so far. Although I don't know that performance is something you are concerned with. The backup camera grows on you. I trust & use it much more now than I used to but you still need to look for oncoming car/pedestrian cross-traffic.

·
Dsclmr:DIY @ YourOwnRisks
1,224 Posts
Welcome, and thank you for sharing.

I don't know how reliable DI engine is, but it is noisy with pinging, and I heard carbon build up cleaning is somewhat required. DI engine could be efficient, but I wouldn't trade it for reliability if that is the issue. If efficiency requires more maintenance, then it is better to have less efficiency with less maintenance.

The first time I heard the engine running, I thought it had problem with the timing chain tensioner, or it was off timing; somewhat like diesel engine pinging noise. Now, if the mechanic replaced the timing chain with 1 tooth off, then who would have known except poor performance. I am sure, they will say, "give it time for breaking in"

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Welcome, and thank you for sharing.

I don't know how reliable DI engine is, but it is noisy with pinging, and I heard carbon build up cleaning is somewhat required. DI engine could be efficient, but I wouldn't trade it for reliability if that is the issue. If efficiency requires more maintenance, then it is better to have less efficiency with less maintenance. :grin

BTW I have never noticed any pinging noise while driving. Complaining about clicking in a DI engine is like complaining about whining in a turbine engine.
Where did you hear about carbon build up being an issue in Honda DI engines? This engine has only been available since the 2013 model year and no one on this forum has complained about the symtoms of carbon build up. Maybe Honda's engineers are smarter than their German counterparts at VW and Audi. :grin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts