Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about investing in a throttle body spacer as my next mod. I've been doing some research and I've read mixed reviews. I've heard it gives you a little more HP and torque and better fuel economy while increasing air flow but I'm having reservations because the reviews I've read were mostly negative - they say it makes a hissing sound and does nothing to increase performance. I have a 2010 V6 Sedan and would like some input from anyone who has installed one. Thanks :)

·
I snapped my G string....
3,865 Posts
It doesn't increase air flow, it just make the air coming in a little cooler. I dont notice any up increrease in HP or fuel economy. I do notice better throttle response at higher RPMs, especially when I need to pass cars on the road. It does however make you engine bay look cool.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. I need more opinions though lol

·
.Net developer
156 Posts
im in the same boat, just wanted to subscribe to this thread :)

·
youtube.com/justahondaaccord
1,639 Posts
I'm thinking about investing in a throttle body spacer as my next mod. I've been doing some research and I've read mixed reviews. I've heard it gives you a little more HP and torque and better fuel economy while increasing air flow but I'm having reservations because the reviews I've read were mostly negative - they say it makes a hissing sound and does nothing to increase performance. I have a 2010 V6 Sedan and would like some input from anyone who has installed one. Thanks :)
This thread has the info you probably need to make a decision.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45866&highlight=P2R+throttle+Body+Spacer

Cliff notes, TBS is more for looks than anything else. You will not feel any power increase, fuel economy won't be noticeably better either. Money can be better spent elsewhere for performance.

·
Where to start???
341 Posts
I bought one to go with my Takeda SRI, cause I did notice that with the SRI installed, there was a little bit of heatsoak from time to time, not enough to annoy me, but it was evident. Once I installed the throttle body spacer, it helped with that issue. If it adds any horsepower at all you can't even notice it.

·
.Net developer
156 Posts
I bought one to go with my Takeda SRI, cause I did notice that with the SRI installed, there was a little bit of heatsoak from time to time, not enough to annoy me, but it was evident. Once I installed the throttle body spacer, it helped with that issue. If it adds any horsepower at all you can't even notice it.
i also have a takeda SRI and when summertime comes around, the texas heat aint no joke. how do u know when theres 'heatsoak'? does the engine area start smokin or do u see the temp rise in the odometer area? id freak out if my baby had heatsoak and if the TBS really helps out with that, then id get it for that alone if it gets that bad.. thanks :)

·
Where to start???
341 Posts
i also have a takeda SRI and when summertime comes around, the texas heat aint no joke. how do u know when theres 'heatsoak'? does the engine area start smokin or do u see the temp rise in the odometer area? id freak out if my baby had heatsoak and if the TBS really helps out with that, then id get it for that alone if it gets that bad.. thanks :)

Its nothing you can see, its just a feel...sometimes when its in 1st, theres a bit of a stutter thanks to the heatsoak. Since you have an auto, I'm not sure how evident it is. Maybe someone who has an auto can chime in. But its just that little hesitation when u hit the gas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah. i don't think it's worth it. i've decided not to get it. thanks everyone for the feedback

·
Registered
167 Posts
here is a pic of the IM spacer he made for me!

Attachments

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,917 Posts
With our summers it doesn't matter if your air intake is stock, short, or "cold" air.........performance suffers in the 100º+ temperatures. Partly due to the outside (and under hood) temperatures but also you will obviously be running the air conditioner. Heatsoak really isn't a worry. The only time I have known a throttle body spacer to help was on a Chevy V-8 truck when towing. I towed the same load with and without and the spacer worked in that instance. With it, less accelerator pressure was required and MPG increased VERY slightly. Other than that it's just under hood decoration as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have a scanguage obd2 reader set to tell me water and intake temps. And yea, the takida does make it much more prone to heat soak, 20min in bad traffic and the intake temp will hit 100 no matter how cold it is outside so in the summer I'm sure it'll be worst.

I was personally thinking of making a heat shield and placing an air port where the resonator is behind the bumper... Although when you take off after traffic the temp does drop very quickly...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
The TBS not going to change any heatsoaking if it is happening as what or how can it insulate when the IM is getting heated by the heads and on other side of TBS is the heated TB.
Nor is it going to change mpg with modern EFI systems with there MAF .

What it will do is possibly tune the intake track , it will raise the plenum volume which can improve on some setups it also might be able to help with a staving runner but IM porting would also be needed . I say if any improvements are felt its the slightly larger plenum area just like if you add a spacer to runners you get slightly better mid range power .

·
Registered
395 Posts
what about if you had other parts, such as JPipe and CBE, would the TBS be a positive add on? or do you guys still stand by your answer of 'just for looks?'

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
Just saw this thread, surprised on the negative opinions. There have been dyno tests on the new Civic which showed gains of 4.5hp at the wheels. While that can always fluctuate, definitely is a great mod for the money. I don't know too many people who don't have them on their Civics actually, for the cost how could you really not have one?

Plus, our test with one of our members here dyno'd an increase of what 16hp and 20ft lbs of tq with P2R gaskets, spacer, and ported intake runners! This and the Unorthodox Pulleys are some of the best performance modifications I would say for the cost. Maybe a Jpipe is the only other item that is guaranteed to show benefit!

·
Stanced 8thGen Accord
4,753 Posts
I COMPLETELY missed this thread.

sixxxniner

Just to help you decide:

Regardless of what anyone is telling you, most of those member don't have the product. I know Two other members that will show face here that will tell you the same thing i am going to tell you..

This MOD is great for the price and the outcome.

Horsepower; this is Dyno proven to give you increase in wHP. Don't get me wrong it's not going to give you 40 whp to make you a beast on the road or be like OMG WOOOWWWWWWW this is awesome... NO IT'S not like that..

Throttle Response: This product is proven to give you much better throttle response, and provide the Intake Manifold with Colder air, this product combined with a CAI, or SRI will differently feel a huge difference...

MPG: This Product really has nothing to do with MPG in my OPINION i guess because i am adding performance parts to make them work not to sit in my engine bay a look pretty.

As you can See I have P2R: Throttle Body Spacer, Throttle Body Thermal Gasket, Ported Intake Runners, Runners Thermal gasket: My Dyno proven numbers 16hp and 20ft lbs of tq

Other note: Different performance parts:

You can Buy any other performance part you want.. Another great bang buck performance part is Crack underdrive pulley. I have DYNO proven 9wHP, 20lbs of Tq

·
Registered
851 Posts
its a waste man

1 - 20 of 30 Posts