Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Coupe EX-L V6
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Has anyone else has installed the AFE power TB spacer on a 9th gen v6? It creates an interesting whistle on acceleration (I'm assuming a result of the helical design). Has anyone else experienced this?

Here's the spacer. Not sure how to upload a video of the noise, however.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
cvt - NOT
1,286 Posts
Never tried it before. The consensus is that these things are beyond pointless. Regardless, what is your personal feeling about it?

·
Registered
2013 Coupe EX-L V6
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never tried it before. The consensus is that these things are beyond pointless. Regardless, what is your personal feeling about it?
I wouldn't be able to say one way or another with (personal) dyno results, so I'd rather not speculate. Getting my car dynoed is coming soon though hopefully, but I wouldn't have a baseline comparison.

It could be just a placebo affect or it could make a small difference in throttle response. I feel like their may be some minor throttle response and torque increase, but again I can't say either way.

I think for the price I'm willing to take their word on their Dyno results and at the end of the day if there wasnt any I wouldn't be upset.

·
port & polish everything
1,631 Posts
useless

Reactions: enne

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have the AFE spacer and an Injen CAI on my 2.4. I love the whistle. It’s only there around 4K rpm but does have a turbo like sound to it. I didn’t hear the whistle with the stock intake. Only reason I got it is because i saw a guy with before and after dyno runs and picked up 3 hp all done in the same day and conditions. I know no one would ever notice 3 hp but i have the mod bug on every vehicle I’ve ever had. It was cheap enough to buy into the claims.

·
Registered
2013 Coupe EX-L V6
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just as much as your opinion.

I have the AFE spacer and an Injen CAI on my 2.4. I love the whistle. It’s only there around 4K rpm but does have a turbo like sound to it. I didn’t hear the whistle with the stock intake. Only reason I got it is because i saw a guy with before and after dyno runs and picked up 3 hp all done in the same day and conditions. I know no one would ever notice 3 hp but i have the mod bug on every vehicle I’ve ever had. It was cheap enough to buy into the claims.
Yeah, these are my thoughts. I'm glad you've seen video proof. 3hp is 3hp regardless of how small, and I certainly didn't expect what they were advertising, but for the price, why not try? I didn't really buy it for the sound but I don't mind it either.

I also have the "mod bug" and I'm trying to improve 1/4 mile times, so 3hp can make a small difference for me.

·
port & polish everything
1,631 Posts
Reactions: enne

·
port & polish everything
1,631 Posts
I really couldn't care less what you or any organization says. Nobody cares that you're an engineer FYI, I realize that telling everyone is a part of the job.
If you don't care why did you come here?

·
Registered
2013 Coupe EX-L V6
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you don't care why did you come here?
I'm not sure if you're too dense to be able to read, or just too lazy. I was asking about the sound and if anyone has experience using this spacer. I did not mention anything or ask about how useful the product is, nor do I give a shit what you or anyone else thinks.

·
port & polish everything
1,631 Posts
I'm not sure if you're too dense to be able to read, or just too lazy. I was asking about the sound and if anyone has experience using this spacer. I did not mention anything or ask about how useful the product is, nor do I give a shit what you or anyone else thinks.
Ok so no I do not experience any throttle body sounds because I'm not stupid enough to waste money on a spacer.

·
Registered
2013 Coupe EX-L V6
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so no I do not experience any throttle body sounds because I'm not stupid enough to waste money on a spacer.
I would have specifically put "morons may answer this question" if I wanted your opinion. Which again is your opinion and unvalidated claims. Start throwing me proof with links. Until then you're just a tool, and I'd rather not waste my time listen to your BS.

If you're broke I can understand why a couple hundred would seem like a lot to you.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I’d like to see real dyno results as well. On the other hand the manifold spacer is proven you shift torque curve lower but lose power around 6000-6200 rpm a small price to pay for more torque down low. That’s something I would consider over this spacer unless you’re getting nitrous the throttle body spacer isn’t worth it. Any power gains are likely due to it increasing the volume of the intake so it tricks the mass air flow to thinking there’s more air coming in so it adjusts accordingly - at least in theory.

I'm just going to leave this here.

Pay particular attention to the 2nd sentence in regards to a TB spacer

View attachment 534177
Afe posted some ridiculous numbers like 12-15 hp gained from the spacer on a v6 it’s insane. 😂 Heres a dyno chart but still don’t buy it unless it’s just tricking the maf somehow.

·
Registered
2013 Coupe EX-L V6
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm just going to leave this here.

Pay particular attention to the 2nd sentence in regards to a TB spacer

View attachment 534177
I think you're missing the part where I asked if I would get a performance increase.

I’d like to see real dyno results as well. On the other hand the manifold spacer is proven you shift torque curve lower but lose power around 6000-6200 rpm a small price to pay for more torque down low. That’s something I would consider over this spacer unless you’re getting nitrous the throttle body spacer isn’t worth it. Any power gains are likely due to it increasing the volume of the intake so it tricks the mass air flow to thinking there’s more air coming in so it adjusts accordingly - at least in theory.
Down the road anything is possible. In theory, the serated and helix design will optimize air flow creating turbulent opposed to laminar flowing air. Unless somebody has a 3d modelling of air going through my AFE Sri and AFE spacer and into my manifold to see the difference in flow (or happen to have a degree in fluid dynamics) than they're just blowing smoke, and quite frankly I'm looking for facts not opinions.

I'm considering all my options, but I'm going to do everything possible that can be done before I get into tearing down my engine to add a manifold spacer or engine components, honestly that's my last worry.

As I said before I couldn't care less if there were zero power gains. My post did not refer to or ask about power gains.

·
Registered
07 Accord Sedan EX V6 Auto
418 Posts
A throttle body spacer makes sense on a carby or TBI engine where there's fuel being added before the throttle, so the spacer helps mix it better. In a MPI engine, the mixing effect is probably gonna do very little compared to what the manifold already does. Your only gains are probably from tricking the MAF by slightly increasing air flow velocity.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I only see a spacer being useful as an adapter for a larger or different TB. If you are planning to do any kind of real mods, the money should be spent on Ktuner first.

·
Registered
2013 Coupe EX-L V6
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A throttle body spacer makes sense on a carby or TBI engine where there's fuel being added before the throttle, so the spacer helps mix it better. In a MPI engine, the mixing effect is probably gonna do very little compared to what the manifold already does. Your only gains are probably from tricking the MAF by slightly increasing air flow velocity.
Thanks for providing some useful information, that is good to know. Again, I would be fine with no gains if that happened to be the case. I'm not gonna get bent out of shape over a couple hundred bucks.

I only see a spacer being useful as an adapter for a larger or different TB. If you are planning to do any kind of real mods, the money should be spent on Ktuner first.
I am likely going with a P2R throttle body & adapter, so yes, a larger tb is coming. I'm already ktuned, Sri, mf cat back exhaust on the way.

Next spring when the weather is nice enough again I'll likely just stick to hfpc and hfc cause I'd like the car to be emissions legal, possible ported intake runners, manifold spacer.

Far down the road when I buy a new daily I'll look to turbo or add nitrous for the drag strip and assess what engine internals need to be upgraded to run it safely. And probably switch to a straight pipe with pcd's.

Of course I'll be wanting to take it in the spring to be Dyno tuned properly by a professional once the short-term modifications are complete.

·
Current: 8th Gen. EX-L Black V6 Coupe w/ Navi.
524 Posts
I mean...if a couple hundred bucks is pocket change, and literally doesn't mean anything to you and you couldn't care less about a couple hundred bucks.... why not put a couple hundred bucks into a "New Sports car" savings account at your bank today? Then tomorrow, wake up and put $200 in there again. .. I mean, $100 or $200 isnt nothing, like don't even notice it leaves your paycheck right?

And in less than 2 years man you'll have enough dough in your account to buy a $130,000 Lamborghini...that will smoke your Honda Accord with the badass throttle body spacer that adds multiple horsepowers. Or just wait one year and you can buy a Mercedes AMG or BMW M4, or heck, even a Honda Type-R

If couple hundred bucks here, there and everywhere literally means nothing to you and you're willing to waste your money on a throttle body spacer just so you can say you did it...I dont know why you would buy a Honda Accord instead of a real sports car. This is a family car. It offers a V6. So does their Odyssey mini van. It has sport mode...so does the Honda Fit.
This was never, ever designed to be modded to be a race car. Have fun...but don't fool yourself...you're modding a family car.

·
Registered
2013 Coupe EX-L V6
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I mean...if a couple hundred bucks is pocket change, and literally doesn't mean anything to you and you couldn't care less about a couple hundred bucks.... why not put a couple hundred bucks into a "New Sports car" savings account at your bank today? Then tomorrow, wake up and put $200 in there again. .. I mean, $100 or $200 isnt nothing, like don't even notice it leaves your paycheck right?

And in less than 2 years man you'll have enough dough in your account to buy a $130,000 Lamborghini...that will smoke your Honda Accord with the badass throttle body spacer that adds multiple horsepowers. Or just wait one year and you can buy a Mercedes AMG or BMW M4, or heck, even a Honda Type-R

If couple hundred bucks here, there and everywhere literally means nothing to you and you're willing to waste your money on a throttle body spacer just so you can say you did it...I dont know why you would buy a Honda Accord instead of a real sports car. This is a family car. It offers a V6. So does their Odyssey mini van. It has sport mode...so does the Honda Fit.
This was never, ever designed to be modded to be a race car. Have fun...but don't fool yourself...you're modding a family car.
I'm doing what I would like to do with my time and money & I certainly didn't come here to get investing advice from anyone and definitely not from anyone named "playa playa".

My investment portfolio is doing quite well actually, I was admiring it today, thanks. The market has been on fire & my money is doing wonderfully, actually working for me as we speak while I waste my own time responding to your bullshit.

Oh and if you're gonna compare it to a type r I literally have to do minor bolt ons and a tune and I'll take a type r in a 1/4 mile without question. Everyone is extremely salty in this thread, y'all need to seriously fucking relax.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.