Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit the gas and watch the Tac as you do it. You'll see and feel the lag. How are you supposed to develop good feel driving a stick with throttle lag?
The shifter and clutch are nice, but driving this car, it's like there is constantly a sense and feel that you can't quite figure it out. And it's because of the lag.

Is there anyway to program the computer to take the lag out?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hit the gas and watch the Tac as you do it. You'll see and feel the lag. How are you supposed to develop good feel driving a stick with throttle lag?
The shifter and clutch are nice, but driving this car, it's like there is constantly a sense and feel that you can't quite figure it out. And it's because of the lag.

That's pretty typical for the LX :wink

·
Elvira - the car
3,521 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have the same gripe. I miss the days of having a cable that directly connected the gas pedal to the throttle body.

I got used to it by one day starting the car and pressing on the gas until i could hold 1200 rpm consistently. Since then I've been good but it still feels vague sometimes.

·
Registered
841 Posts

If you arent going to have it tuned, then i suggest a throttle controller if you dislike the throttle feel enough to spend some $$. Apexi makes a good one that i have seen installed and felt myself. It comes with 7 settings that you can change on the fly that are geared toward fuel economy, racing, or just the old school cable feel. its a great product. Another that i havent any experience with is "weapon R." I have heard good things but cant speak of it with experience.

Other than that get used to the DBW systems. they are here to stay and it sucks. :frown

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never had econ mode on, as I get great MPG's whenever I want just by driving a certain way. If the computer is right, I'm getting really good highway MPG's. from 35 to as high as 43mpg one time on a 170-mile trip.

But anyway, thanks for the help with the suggestions for the throttle control devices. If I drive the car hard, then it doesn't matter as much, as I don't think about it. The car is acceptable the way it feels, but will never have great feel, I'm afraid. And feel is what is important. It connects you to your car. Especially with a stick.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...then I do an internet search for sprint booster and I get this, which seems to make a lot of sense. It says the booster does NOT decrease throttle lag because it does not reprogram the ECU. It simply makes it so you get more throttle with less pedal travel. That is not what I am looking for. I only want to eliminate that lag between when you press the throttle and when the gas actually kicks in.

I see no solution to this so far. Is there a product that will do this?

Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Retired G-Man
847 Posts
All the add-on, so-called throttle boasters simply increase the amount of throttle per unit of accelerator pedal depression. You get the same effect by simply pressing the pedal further to begin with. Please don't waste your money on these gadgets.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Well, keep in mind this is not a race car. A drive by wire system is limited by the speed of the ecu and the bus speed of the "networked" components which are essentially a potentiometer on the accelerator and a stepper motor on the throttle. All of these things take time to communicate and have lag....all race cars have cables!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The ECU must need a faster processor. Because theoretically it's possible there could be no perceivable lag at all, if that's the way they wanted to design it.

And also, there should be an upgrade, firmware for it, later down the road.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Too me...your post is just a great big ad...so how can I take you seriously?

·
2014 Accord EX white
208 Posts
like someone said above... this is not a race car

IMO i think its more of a 180 something motor pushing a 3000+ car

also i remember a discussion when you are on the brake something deactivates ...so it might be the car response time in trying to wake up what ever it is that deactivates when your at a stop

you can probably upgrade other miscellaneous things for it to feel better

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Too me...your post is just a great big ad...so how can I take you seriously?
What are you talking about?!! You are reading too much into my comments. All I said was that I don't like the lag. Ad for what? It's a legitimate question - is there anything to eliminate the lag? And as far as I can see, there isn't.

How can I take a person like you seriously when you assume things like that?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Well, keep in mind this is not a race car. A drive by wire system is limited by the speed of the ecu and the bus speed of the "networked" components which are essentially a potentiometer on the accelerator and a stepper motor on the throttle. All of these things take time to communicate and have lag....all race cars have cables!
Not quite correct, unless you don't believe that Formula 1 cars are 'race cars'.

"
"When a driver shifts gear, the change must be fed into the ECU or the electronic control unit. All F1 cars are using the system called the drive by wire. The gearbox would to register these changes happening at 1 per 10,000th per second. The information will be sent back to the car’s ECU".

"There is a button that boosts KERS on the steering wheel. This is important when the driver has to brake where extra 80bhp is sent over to the wheels at the back. The batteries also have sensors detecting the charge levels and storing information on the car’s ECU."

Formula 1 Technology ? What Gadgets are Inside F1 Cars?
This means that the drivers left pedal (F1 cars have no clutch pedal) is no longer linked directly to the rear brakes instead it is linked to a computer which then controls the rear brakes. The front brakes continue to operate in the same way as they always have done.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Throttle lag? I never noticed any in nearly two years of driving this car. While my car was being repaired this week the dealer loaned me an Acura RDX and it also had no noticeable throttle lag. The drive by wire system feels exactly the same on acceleration from a stand still as the throttle cable in my 2000 Accord V6 or my wife's 2007 Fit.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts