Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day to All,

I hope everyone is safe with their families.

I noticed today this constant ticking / rapid clicking noise from the engine.
I was wondering if this is normal or something I should be worried about? I'd greatly appreciate your inputs and thanks!

Here's the video I recorded

Model : 2017 Honda Accord Touring
Engine : V6
Temp : 60F
Mileage : 50k
Details : All MM done on time so far. Noise starts few minutes after engine starts. Shutting off the engine and restarting cancels the noise however it comes back again few mins later.

·
HK Moderator
13,641 Posts
To me, that sewing machine sound could be valve noise- as if your valves need adjusting, which is odd considering your low miles.

When was the last time you changed your oil, what oil was it changed with, and what is your oil level (dipstick)?

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,596 Posts
Did you just buy the car or have you owned it since new? Mine has pretty much always had almost the exact sound you have.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To me, that sewing machine sound could be valve noise- as if your valves need adjusting, which is odd considering your low miles.

When was the last time you changed your oil, what oil was it changed with, and what is your oil level (dipstick)?
I had the oil changed I believe 2 months ago at Honda dealer. I am at 60% now. I can't remember the oil changed with however the level looks normal.

Did you just buy the car or have you owned it since new? Mine has pretty much always had almost the exact sound you have.
I've owned it since new and I just noticed the noise actually. Perhaps staying home nowadays made me more curious on details :)

·
Elvira - the car
3,431 Posts
@FreeWoRLD
Looking at your video you are in the right area.

The black box with the connector on top and the rubber hose going toward the firewall in the center of your video is the purge solenoid valve.

It pulses when the engine is running and gets loud.

So try this.....
As the engine is running and you hear the ticking, unplug that black connector from the valve. If the ticking stops it is that valve that is ticking. It's supposed to open/close that often it's just getting louder. Remember to re-plug it in.

My 2013 does that and gets louder when we have cold temperatures outside.

Never got a CEL when I unplugged it and the ticking definitely stopped.

Been doing it on my 2013 V6 since 2015 or so, when I noticed it getting louder.

There is a NEW P/N 36162-5G0-A01 that replaces the old P/N EDIT: just realized the 17 probably already has the updated valve p/n.

Good luck and hope this helps others too.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
My 2014 has been doing this since new. At about 62k now. I stumbled on this when the hood was up and the engine was cold and idling and all of a sudden the ticking noise started. I assume it's normal and not part of the engine's moving parts.. This had been a gem of an engine, fast,quiet, ultra smooth, refined and great MPG's all on regular gas. VCM operation has become more noticeable over the years though. Other than that it's been a keeper.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Sounds normal to me and mine is under 15000k. I noticed the sound come on when you remote start it and runs for a few mins once warmed up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good Day to All,

I hope everyone is safe with their families.

I noticed today this constant ticking / rapid clicking noise from the engine.
I was wondering if this is normal or something I should be worried about? I'd greatly appreciate your inputs and thanks!

Here's the video I recorded

Model : 2017 Honda Accord Touring
Engine : V6
Temp : 60F
Mileage : 50k
Details : All MM done on time so far. Noise starts few minutes after engine starts. Shutting off the engine and restarting cancels the noise however it comes back again few mins later.
No worries. That is simply the electric pulsing of the injectors. You are good to go.

·
Super Moderator
4,396 Posts
Fuel vapor purge valve is the louder clicking on top of the normal injector and slight valve noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 4 vehicles with this engine, all of them with over 105,000 miles, and this sounds pretty normal to me. The clicking doesn't seem loud enough to be a loose rocker bridge like some earlier models. Like I said, this sounds like a typical J35 engine.

·
Elvira - the car
3,431 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts