Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of an overhaul on the suspension on my 2006 Sedan V6. I removed the outer tie rod end, as well as the ball joint, from the knuckle. In both cases, the nuts will not tighten down on both parts - outer tie rod end and the lower ball joint on the LCA. When I attempt to tighten the nut, the shaft spins - in the outer tie rod and and the ball joint. Is there something I'm missing, or am I looking at a new outer tie rod end and ball joint?

Thanks very much!
Shumax

·
Pilot without a plane
437 Posts
The ball joint needs to be pressed into place. I replied to your other post about that. You could try to put a little downward pressure on the outer tie rod end to see if the nut will snug up. If you have a lot of play in that joint, you'll want to replace it. They're pretty cheap to do.

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,202 Posts
I'm in the process of an overhaul on the suspension on my 2006 Sedan V6. I removed the outer tie rod end, as well as the ball joint, from the knuckle. In both cases, the nuts will not tighten down on both parts - outer tie rod end and the lower ball joint on the LCA. When I attempt to tighten the nut, the shaft spins - in the outer tie rod and and the ball joint. Is there something I'm missing, or am I looking at a new outer tie rod end and ball joint?

Thanks very much!
Shumax
Did you put grease/oil/WD40 in the shaft or hole? If they are not 'spinning' when taking off, then they shouldn't spin when installing. The shaft and hole are tapered, as the castle nut being tightened, the friction increases too.

I've done suspension work many times, never experienced ball joint spinning. Clean the shaft/hole good with brake clean.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sprayed PB Blaster on the nut and broke the nut free. I removed it and put the nut back on a few threads, so as not to lose it, and noticed the rod was spinning. With the tie rod end off the shaft, and in my hands, I tried to put the nut back on the shaft, with a socket, and it spun. So....

I'm going to put it back on the knuckle and compress the suspension and see if that does it. If not, I'll have to buy a new one, I guess? :(

What's impressive is that the original tie rod end looked fine after 140,000 miles. No real play in it at all.

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,202 Posts
I sprayed PB Blaster on the nut and broke the nut free. I removed it and put the nut back on a few threads, so as not to lose it, and noticed the rod was spinning. With the tie rod end off the shaft, and in my hands, I tried to put the nut back on the shaft, with a socket, and it spun. So....

I'm going to put it back on the knuckle and compress the suspension and see if that does it. If not, I'll have to buy a new one, I guess? :(

What's impressive is that the original tie rod end looked fine after 140,000 miles. No real play in it at all.
Nothing wrong with that, sort of. Ball joint is a ball with a stud, it is supposed to rotate in the ball socket. New ones are a lot tighter and not so easy to rotate by hand.

Your tie-rod end is a little worn/loose, good idea to replace it, though you don't have to, as long as there is no up/down movement. When put back to the knuckle, it will not spin because of the friction provided by the ball stud and mating hole.

Compressing suspension does nothing to tie-rods, and is unnecessary for installing ball joints.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts