Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
You're easy money.
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my serpentine belt about two years ago with a dayco one from pep boys, around the same time too because I remember doing it after my last final. When it's cold and I start the car the belt squeaks, until the engine is warmed up. Recently in New York we had some nice weather and the belt was fine, but whenever it's cold and dry it squeaks. There seems to be no cracks or anything on it. Can I spray belt dressing on it? I hear that stuff is actually garbage, does anyone know what the problem is?

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Belt "dressing" is a way for dishonest used car salesmen to mask the sound in order to make a sale. It has no other purpose as it does not "solve" the underlying problem.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Yeah, need more info...we ain't the cops and you ain't a mob enforcer:

What kind of Accord do you have?
How many miles are on your car?
Do you have a V6, an I4, a modified turbo drag racer?
How many miles have you put on it the last 2 years? 1,000 miles? 5,000 miles? 30,000 miles? 90,000 miles? 200,000 miles?
Did you replace any tensioners?
Was the belt hanging near a sunny window at Pep Boys for 5 years before you bought it?
What is cold to you? 30 degrees F? Minus 20 degrees F?

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
If you've got the tools to do it, replacing it is quicker than thinking about it. $15 done and done.

I did learn something new: it was really with old nitrile belts where cracking was a wear indicator, newer ones don't do that as much.

·
You're easy money.
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
04 accord sedan 4 cyl, haven't replaced any tensioners, the belt was in the parts room on a shelf, not near any windows but covered in dust. This morning was about 30 degrees and it squealed so I'd say 30. Currently at 110,000 can't remember what it was at when I changed it. I guess I'll just change it again.

·
4,062 Posts
Quick diagnostic: with the engine running and warmed up, check to see if the autotensioner indicator is bouncing around. If yes then that's what will need replacing. (also obviously check to make sure the tension is correct)

·
You're easy money.
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick diagnostic: with the engine running and warmed up, check to see if the autotensioner indicator is bouncing around. If yes then that's what will need replacing. (also obviously check to make sure the tension is correct)
Will do that in the morning, thanks.

·
You're easy money.
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it's my pulley that's bad, that's where the noise is coming from. Gonna look up the DIY and probably replace it tomorrow. I know it's not too difficult.

·
2020 CBP Touring
694 Posts
Here's a little question for you guys... Should the idler pulley move just as freely as the tensioner pulley? My common sense guess would be yes but mine is a bit tougher to turn.

Also, doesn't the tensioner move just a little bit when running normally? Mine doesn't have much movement, just a tiny, tiny bit... Certainly not bouncing around. The idler and tensioner are replaced as a pair correct?
Just did a new belt yesterday at 100k and it's very quiet. No more squealing due to cold or dampness either.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,677 Posts
The tensioner should move very little. More important than how easily the pulley turns, does it move side to side (wobble) or feel grainy while turning it by hand? I don't see why replacing one pulley would mean you need to replace the other. Seems logical that the older a pulley bearing is, the looser it will get, until it gets to the point where the bearing is too worn, and the pulley begins to wobble.

·
Super Moderator
6,616 Posts
Mine does the same right now at 165000 miles. The last time it was replaced at the dealer was at 98000 miles and the diagnostic shows worn idler pulley bearing. My belt is ok also.

·
You're easy money.
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Never could find that DIY, if anyone could be a pal and link it in this thread I'd be grateful

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm having the same issue except mines a V6 had it replaced around 107k now I'm nearing 127k both tensioner and belt was replaced only happens on rainy or cold days. Its nothing loud but its a small squeaking noise once she's warm it goes away always forget to look at the belt but doubt there's any major wear on it.

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
4 Cylinders do not have an 'idler pulley'. There is only the tensioner pulley in addition to the crankshaft and all accessory pulleys.

·
4,062 Posts
4 Cylinders do not have an 'idler pulley'. There is only the tensioner pulley in addition to the crankshaft and all accessory pulleys.
I think this is correct, but I'm not an engine expert so I wouldn't bet my life on it. Crankshaft pulley, water pump pulley, alternator pulley, ac pulley, tensioner pulley, and PS pump pulley is the sum of what's driven by the serp belt from my understanding.

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
I think this is correct, but I'm not an engine expert so I wouldn't bet my life on it.
I am an engine expert, but that's not why I know it is correct.

2-3 years ago, I went to local parts house to get a new tensioner pulley only, not the complete tensioner because mine would howl on cold morning startup. I had a brain fart and asked for the idler pulley and felt like a dumbass when I was told that there is no idler pulley listed for the 4cyl accords......:headbash:

Also, here is the routing. Starting from the crankshaft at bottom left and following the belt going clockwise, you will come to the Tensioner (wrench attached), Power Steering, Alternator, Water Pump, A/C Compressor. No idler.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts