Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's time for new pads and rotors on my EXL but having a hard time deciding what brand rotors to get for the rear. Went with EBC green stuff pads(have them on my Audi and love them). Probably going with meyle rotors for the front and I wanted to go with meyle as we'll for the rear but apparently you can't get them in the US. Pretty lame....

What do you guys suggest? Or what are you using?

I want rotors that are decent quality but won't break the bank and also don't want them to be prone to rusting(some rotors have no coating on them and they get the ugly rust look).

·
Silver '07 Accord SE
291 Posts
I just bought R1 Concepts rotors through the forums here, and got a nice discount for being a forum member. I like them so far, even though they have only been on a week. Them, plus Akebono ProACT brakes have worked well together.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not really looking for slotted rotors. Shoulda specified in original post. Its my wife's car so I don't need anything to crazy. Just a good quality rotor that's not $100 a piece like the oe Honda rotors

·
No lifetime fluids!
1,019 Posts
Centric Rotors and Akebono ProACT Ceramic pads have served me well. I originally bough them on TireRack for a decent price. As of late, I've been going to Amazon as they're a little bit cheaper... and I have Amazon Prime.

Not sure what shipping is on them.

Also, the NAPA Ultra Premium rotors are good (the hats and edges are normally painted black) as are the higher end Raybestos.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Why don't you just get the rotors resurfaced, and just spray down a coat of black paint to hide the rust. This will eliminate the need for pads, and they are still Honda OEM rotors, plus you know they fit your car. Try not to go with the SUPER CHEAP stuff cuz its usually from China, and they don't have quality control so they could be PIECES OF SHIT painted silver. Go with what you know. Find either a quality brand, or OEM. So look at some StopTech, Brembo, EBC, i mean there are so many good companies, that offer good products, at a reasonable price.

You will most likely need only front brake rotors and pads as the accord's rear brakes are essentially there just to say they have some :lmao: They don't do much braking.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
@Milan, oftentimes the cost of resurfacing is just as much as buying new rotors, especially for blanks.

I would just buy Centric Premium Rotors and be done with it. Whatever brand Autozone sells as "premium" is probably fine too. If you want to get fancy you can move up to Centric High Carbon or Centric Cryo which are allegedly more long-lasting.

Don't be concerned with whether they'll rust or not....mine have "e-coating" whatever black paint and it burned off during the bed in process.

·
Registered
26 Posts
+1 for Centric rotors, I used them on my Integra and they held up real well. Stoptech is there parent company, so you know that have done the R&D to make a good product.

·
Registered
49 Posts
are the rotors shot??? why not just have them resurfaced?? cheap and easy and if it's for your wife i would just get OEM brake pads..

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,157 Posts
are the rotors shot??? why not just have them resurfaced??
Because it's about the same or slightly more to get new rotors.

My mechanic charges $15 per for resurfacing (same as Oreilly Auto and Pepboys). If I do all 4, that's $60. I can probably get them done for $10 per if I want to drive further out to some place in East L.A. and have some vato turn them.

Then there's the time (and gas) spent driving back and forth between home and the place resurfacing them + waiting an hour or so while they're resurfaced. What if you don't have a 2nd car to use while the car you're working on is on jack stands? Take the bus? Walk? Ask a friend/family member to drive you?

New Centric premium blanks are $42.80 x 2 for the front set and $32.39 x 2 for the rear set. That's $150.38 for four brand new high quality rotors.

If $150 is too much for the OP, there's always the Duralast rotors from Autozone for $100 with lifetime warranty (a lot of 8th gen owners use and are happy with them) or the E-line rotors from R1 concepts that are also $100 or the Centric C-tek rotors for $86.68 (Amazon).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sorry but 75 bucks for rotors.. Ummmmm I would take resurfaced OEM.. There is a reason those rotors cost 75 bucks... but do what u want just throwing out options

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,157 Posts
Sorry but 75 bucks for rotors.. Ummmmm I would take resurfaced OEM.. There is a reason those rotors cost 75 bucks... but do what u want just throwing out options
Oops. My bad on pricing. It's actually $42.80 x 2 for front and $32.39 x 2 for rear, or $150 for a set. I was going off my Notepad pricing list and forgot to note you need two of each. Fixed post above and my Notepad file.

But yeah, those Centric premium rotors are better than OEM. Several members here run them and are quite happy.

You can also read the reviews from other happy Centric rotor users.

If $150 is too much for the OP, there's always the Duralast rotors from Autozone for $100 with lifetime warranty (a lot of 8th gen owners use and are happy with them) or the E-line rotors from R1 concepts that are also $100 or the Centric C-tek rotors for $86.68 (Amazon).

If it's safe to resurface (rotor thickness after resurfacing is above minimum thickness) and you want to save some money, then go for it. You should be able to get at least 1 resurface done on them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sure this thread is dead! Lol
But bored in bed! Must say as have been in every companies OEM shops.
ROTORS ARE ROTORS! Spend your $ on Pads!
On Amazon you-can get 20$ Bendix rotors. Spec wise they are literally the same as Stoptech etc.
Just not painted, and obviously spray brake clean on surface as you normally would! I painted the hub black. On prob 40k miles on em. And kinda looking for a reason to machine them, but nope!!! Same freaking wear as the other brands. Under 150$ range... But 20$ a pop. Today EVERYONE is made in China, Wagner etc....
different type of metals in China.. but check specs. And find yourself not needing the name brand to feel safe. That’s why they want. If not going OEM which I do on everything to my power steering fluid, ( Honda guy) . For rotors, just absolutely no need...Spend it on the pads!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts