Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have around 76K on the original Goodyear Assurance tires that came on our 2016 Sedan and although not down to the wear bars, they are worn enough to not make it through another winter. Did a bit of comparison shopping on Tire Rack and came across the Defender T+H. I've had great luck running the Defender series tires on our CRV and Pilot so I'm inclined to give them a closer look. Price wise, our local dealership has buy 3 get 1 free and the Defenders out the door are $40 more than the Assurance tires. This includes mounting, balancing, disposal, shop fees and a four wheel alignment. I've done the online quotes from Tire Discounters and Wally World and the dealer beats both, especially Wally World who does not offer an alignment. Pretty surprised there on my part.

My question to the group is who is running these and how do you like them? Have you noticed any decrease in the MPG's from your factory tires? Right now we are averaging highway MPG's between 38-41. Factor in city and it drops to a respectable 37.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update here. I ended up picking up a nail in one of my tires which accelerated my replacement cycle. I called my dealer, verified the price, make and model of tire I wanted and scheduled it in last Friday. My Advisor comes out after 2.5hrs and says I'm all done, alignment was a bit out but good now and priced as quoted. Reviewing the paperwork, I noted a problem. They ended up putting on the Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires, not the Defenders. After a lot of discussion, it seems that the rep I spoke to never verified they could get the Defenders and never placed an order for them. They had the Primacy's in stock so just installed them. Long story short, I ended up staying with the Primacy and they ate the cost difference. They are nice and quite, no drop in MPG's and should have a rain day here later this week to see how they do in the wet.

·
CVT
885 Posts
I had a similar situation happenend to me at a dealership, but instructed the SA to remount the tires that they took off. Since the new tires they mounted were substandard for my driving situation(s).

Michelin Primacy MXV4 are the worst tires I've driven on. These tires are substandard in rain, and snow, and also uses inadequate rubber compound that cannot withstand temperature that drop below 40 degrees. The Michelin Primacy MXV4 also experience flat spots easily and take an overly long time to heat up during during cold temperatures.

Michelin Primacy MXV4 are a good looking tire, that will perform quietly for the first 1 to 2 years and will start to get noisy despite having tons of tread left. Michelin Primacy MXV4 are built for speed, and performance is really only good in the summer months and during light rain.

I am going to replace my Michelin Primacy MXV4 (with 90% tread life left) for something along the lines of Pirelli P7 All Season Plus tires or Yokohama AVID Ascend GT or Dunlop Signature HP tires to better handle the climate in the northeast.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,412 Posts
I would check the date on those tires. They could be just trying to get rid of some old tires that have been sitting around a while. Tires age even when they aren't mounted on a car. I always order tires that are not "in stock" to make sure I don't get old tires.

·
Elvira - the car
3,322 Posts
I would check the date on those tires. They could be just trying to get rid of some old tires that have been sitting around a while. Tires age even when they aren't mounted on a car. I always order tires that are not "in stock" to make sure I don't get old tires.
Serious question. I get what you are saying and your thinking, but....

Does this work for you every time? Do you use tirerack, discount,ntb,etc.

Those tires that are not "in stock" in one place may very well be "in stock" in a warehouse somewhere with old manufacture dates defeating your scheme.

Unless they are straight out of the oven how new are the tires you usually purchase?

TIA

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,412 Posts
Serious question. I get what you are saying and your thinking, but....

Does this work for you every time? Do you use tirerack, discount,ntb,etc.

Those tires that are not "in stock" in one place may very well be "in stock" in a warehouse somewhere with old manufacture dates defeating your scheme.

Unless they are straight out of the oven how new are the tires you usually purchase?

TIA
I did it twice, once at Sam's club and once at the local Walmart. Both times when the tires came in they were less than two months old. I made sure the tires I ordered were not in stock, so they had to order them. They came in less than a week. The prices were as low as anywhere else. The Michelins for my 7th gen had that $70 off deal.

·
Elvira - the car
3,322 Posts
I did it twice, once at Sam's club and once at the local Walmart. Both times when the tires came in they were less than two months old. I made sure the tires I ordered were not in stock, so they had to order them. They came in less than a week. The prices were as low as anywhere else. The Michelins for my 7th gen had that $70 off deal.
Fantastic ! I will try that myself. I will say, that in my experience, I have always received months old tires every time I've required them.

It may be since I'm in the chicago area the tire stock turn-over is so quick, the tire stores always have fresh tires. IDK

Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a similar situation happenend to me at a dealership, but instructed the SA to remount the tires that they took off. Since the new tires they mounted were substandard for my driving situation(s).

Michelin Primacy MXV4 are the worst tires I've driven on. These tires are substandard in rain, and snow, and also uses inadequate rubber compound that cannot withstand temperature that drop below 40 degrees. The Michelin Primacy MXV4 also experience flat spots easily and take an overly long time to heat up during during cold temperatures.

Michelin Primacy MXV4 are a good looking tire, that will perform quietly for the first 1 to 2 years and will start to get noisy despite having tons of tread left. Michelin Primacy MXV4 are built for speed, and performance is really only good in the summer months and during light rain.

I am going to replace my Michelin Primacy MXV4 (with 90% tread life left) for something along the lines of Pirelli P7 All Season Plus tires or Yokohama AVID Ascend GT or Dunlop Signature HP tires to better handle the climate in the northeast.
We had around 4" of the white stuff this past week. The car handled quite well even in the slushy stuff that was building up during the storm. Travel the next morning on snow packed and icy roads did not produce any surprises. The tires gripped well and had no surprises stopping or starting. My experience in rain has been good as well, granted we were coming off factory Goodyear's with over 76K on them so running on new rubber bands would be an improvement. You guys get a lot more snow up in the NE than we do out here in the Midwest and it doesn't stick around for long. If we still lived in Boston I'd be running a winter tire/wheel set and a summer set on the alloys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts