Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sitting just under 210k miles and I think its time I took care of the CAT code I've had on for far too long. I'm currently and most definitely not looking at replacing it with the OEM CAT just because of the price alone (about 300).

So my options are:
- Universal CAT for about 100 bucks (Advance Auto brand or w.e.) :|
- Megan Resonator (This) :smile
- Straight pipe :grin

My car is somewhat loud as is so I'm really thinking about the resonator, and I was wondering if anyone would know if this makes the engine light stay on? Does the OEM CAT has a spot for the O2 sensor? What are your opinions? I'm really not looking to spend much here.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I recently had to replace my CAT. Went with a Magnaflow aftermarket one and 4 weeks later the code has not come back. Car performs fine so far.

Went to an exhaust shop, cost me $480 total although mine needed a new flex pipe in addition to the CAT. He also moved the O2 sensor to a different location on the new CAT for a more accurate reading.

I have a thread about it if you want to take a look. I'd suggest calling up a couple different exhaust shops in your area and getting quotes. Good luck :)!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Been discussed a billion times on here you will fail with an aftermarket cat at some point. More than likely sooner than later.

·
Carpe Diem
3,160 Posts
Are you sure it is the 3rd cat that needs to be replaced? If so, just get the test pipe and never worry about it again.

BTW, that "Megan Resonator" you linked isn't actually a resonator. It is just a test pipe. It will not quiet your exhaust, if anything it will make it louder. The Ad title is misleading.

If you want a resonator, look into vibrant or magnaflow brands.

·
Registered
617 Posts
So random question I've wondered about. What if you live in a state with no inspection? Downsides to running with a failing third cat?

Not that I would do it myself, just curious.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
So random question I've wondered about. What if you live in a state with no inspection? Downsides to running with a failing third cat?

Not that I would do it myself, just curious.
I don't have to be inspected until 2017. You can do whatever you want to the exhaust system...I ran catless for a few months but the smell and noise was annoying. Now I just have a single Magnaflow universal high flow cat and it works fine.

·
Roll Tide!
7,660 Posts
You can do whatever you want to the exhaust system.
:0
As long as he realizes it is not only against federal law, but state law also. Just because there are no inspections or emission testing in an area or state does not mean it is legal to do whatever with the exhaust system. Yes, I've run full race exhausts on street cars while living in a few other states BUT I was fully aware of the potential consequences in doing so.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in Florida, also the code says something like "Catalyst Efficiency below threshold Bank 2", I forgot to mention my car only has 1 exhaust pipe, I'll take pictures and post them asap (might be a bit as where I live they don't like it when you work on your car). ikethegreat Thanks for clarifying that information about the Megan test pipe, I was wondering about that too, confusing title...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts