Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 V6 vehicle has 71K miles on it and I bought it in 01/2022 from a dealer. Not sure if timing belt replacement has been done by previous owner. Manual says it needs to be replaced in the earliest of 8 years / 100K miles. But when I tried to find what my next MM code would be, it says A12. I'm wondering does this mean the previous owner did the timing belt job ( as 8 years has been passed ) or they might have just reset the MM code manually. Or does the MM subitem 4 even pop up after 8 years?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
MM does not know time only distance. So it has not set the code number 4 for spark plugs, and the timing belt yet. If this was my car I would wait till I got to the 100k mark and then get the sparkplugs, timing belt and coolant changed then.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: uscourt3000

·
8th Gen Believer
4,414 Posts
I don't use MM. Learn the car, what the maintenance intervals are. You can get the owners' manual here Owners Manual Cars or do an online search.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You can remove the front cover and have a buddy bump the starter while you look at the belt with a flashlight. If you do not see any lettering the belt has been there at least 50k miles. You should see at a minimum some white dots or lines even with an older belt.

Can also register VIN on honda.com and see some history. Can also buy carfax.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
773 Posts
Following the MM vs the service interval used in the past is quite the debate. It was actually 105k/7 years. Honda seems to have completely forgotten the time part of the interval.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My car has 50k miles and I just replaced it with an Aisin kit over summer due to age, it still looked good but it was definitely a little “tired” feeling compared to the new one

I did the serpentine belt at the same time ( also original) and it had some tiny cracks forming but was still serviceable.

when in doubt change it out, my car had been sitting a lot until recently when the mileage has really been piling up, so maybe some accelerated wear would’ve started to show now with more use vs summer when it wasn’t being used a lot

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had my belt replaced with only 49k miles on it late last year, or was it this past summer? I left the h2o pump alone as it should go to 100k without problem. Serp belt looked good but it was changed too, just for drill. I hate to worry about things like that when I'm out for a drive. I'm sure everything could've gone the full 100k miles, but the stress of wondering will it or won't it was too much for this old man.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MM does not know time only distance. So it has not set the code number 4 for spark plugs, and the timing belt yet. If this was my car I would wait till I got to the 100k mark and then get the sparkplugs, timing belt and coolant changed then.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
oh.. this is interesting to know. Service manual says 8 years or 100K, but the MM not considering time is weird.

I don't use MM. Learn the car, what the maintenance intervals are. You can get the owners' manual here Owners Manual Cars or do an online search.
yep, looked at the manual and that's how i found that there is something called timing belt and it gotta be replaced in 8 yrs / 100K

My car has 50k miles and I just replaced it with an Aisin kit over summer due to age, it still looked good but it was definitely a little “tired” feeling compared to the new one

I did the serpentine belt at the same time ( also original) and it had some tiny cracks forming but was still serviceable.

when in doubt change it out, my car had been sitting a lot until recently when the mileage has really been piling up, so maybe some accelerated wear would’ve started to show now with more use vs summer when it wasn’t being used a lot
what model year is your car? is the replacement due to 8 yrs? May i ask as to how much did you have to pay? and was it a honda dealer?

I had my belt replaced with only 49k miles on it late last year, or was it this past summer? I left the h2o pump alone as it should go to 100k without problem. Serp belt looked good but it was changed too, just for drill. I hate to worry about things like that when I'm out for a drive. I'm sure everything could've gone the full 100k miles, but the stress of wondering will it or won't it was too much for this old man.
may i know the model year and how much you had to pay and if that was a honda dealer?

Following the MM vs the service interval used in the past is quite the debate. It was actually 105k/7 years. Honda seems to have completely forgotten the time part of the interval.
forgetting time portion is really a big bug... atleast they might have corrected this in later versions, i hope.

You can remove the front cover and have a buddy bump the starter while you look at the belt with a flashlight. If you do not see any lettering the belt has been there at least 50k miles. You should see at a minimum some white dots or lines even with an older belt.

front cover of what? with the hood open, i can only see the serpentine belt i guess. May be i can post a pic in some time to give more clarity

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
773 Posts
Honda may have forgotten the time interval, but you can bet the material the belt is made of hasn't.
Yep, but don't tell that to the Maintenance Minder nazis out there.

forgetting time portion is really a big bug... atleast they might have corrected this in later versions, i hope.
Nope, Honda has doubled down on the whole maintenance minder thing since then, and it still does not take time into account. I believe it takes time into account on the latest generation Odyssey for oil changes, but that's all.

I'm convinced it's less of an accidental omission by Honda and they're actually no longer recommending the time interval anymore. They don't provide any official maintenance schedule anymore, it's just "follow the Maintenance Minder". It's stupid because the engine hasn't changed much at all.

Reactions: lkhonda125

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,280 Posts
All I'll say about the MM, and this is important for OP to know as well, is that the owner's manual has some time based fail-safes listed. Things like, "if there is no maintenance minder code for oil change, change it every year" and "if there is no maintenance minder code for coolant, change it after 10 years and every 5 years thereafter".

The maintenance minder is helpful, but note that it's not perfect.

·
Registered
42 Posts
what model year is your car? is the replacement due to 8 yrs? May i ask as to how much did you have to pay? and was it a honda dealer?
Mine is an 09

i believe it’s 7yr/105k but in any case, 12-13yrs is plenty

i got the Aisin kit from Rockauto and a mechanic buddy and I did it, so sorry can’t really help on price, but I highly recommend the Aisin kit as they’re on oem supplier, or OEM Honda from a dealer, NOTHING from Amazon though

·
Registered
140 Posts
In the center of the photo is a black plastic piece with a barcode on it. Take that off and you will see the timing belt. For reference, you can see the drivebelt is very new with all its lettering visible. It takes around 50k miles for lettering on a belt to fade, YMMV. You can only see a small portion of the belt which is why you will need a buddy to bump the starter several times in order to inspect the entire belt.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In the center of the photo is a black plastic piece with a barcode on it. Take that off and you will see the timing belt. For reference, you can see the drivebelt is very new with all its lettering visible. It takes around 50k miles for lettering on a belt to fade, YMMV.

View attachment 537283
Thanks a lot for the effort friend. Is this a 2010 V6?
I have uploaded pics of mine.. .... By comparing it to your's the serpentine belt is probably tired? Is it easier to open that black plastic lid? Looks kinda tight place to let hands go.
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
140 Posts
Your drive (serpentine belt) looks fine. You want to look at the underside (ridged) side of the belt with a flashlight and look for cracks or missing chunks. FWIW, they are easy to change and pretty cheap. It will need to come off anyway if you have the timing belt done. The front cover is easier to remove if the drive belt is taken off first. It is possible to move the front cover slightly out of the way without taking off the drive belt. There will be about a 2 inch gap through which you can shine a flashlight at the timing belt. Then have a buddy bump the starter several times while inspecting the timing belt for visible lettering.

FYI, the issue with the timing belt with the Honda J35 is rarely the belt itself. What usually happens is the timing belt tensioner fails which causes the belt to "lose time" and since these engines are an interference design, the valves kiss the pistons and the engine is severely damaged. $$$$ repair bill or junk the car. So its highly important to replace the timing belt and tensioner as a set. The AISIN kit includes the timing belt, tensioner, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, water pump, and gasket. If you get it done at shop, insist they use the AISIN kit and ask for all the old parts to be returned to you. A dealer will use a similar kit. Watch out for fake AISIN kits they are out there.

·
Registered
35 Posts

I keep a free login to CarFax and enter my own maintenance records for my own cars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts