Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2003 Accord EX, 2.4L MT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to Midas about changing the Timing belt on my Accord. They looked it up and said that it has a chain instead, and that I do not need to change a timing chain. Does this seem correct? I would hate to ruin an engine because of bad Advice from Midas.

Thanks

·
2003 Accord EX, 2.4L MT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is there any maintenance required on a timing chain?

So I read and found the answer on belt vs. chain.

Now, do I still need to replace the water pump, and is there anything I need to do for the timing chain?

Thanks

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,914 Posts
How many miles? Nothing to do for the timing chain. 2003 was the first year of the chain I believe.

·
2003 Accord EX, 2.4L MT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I bought it at 75,000, and I haven't really done any maintenance to it so I'm looking to catch up and take a little better care.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
As long as the water pump is quiet and doesn't leak, don't worry about it.
It's external.

At 110k, it's due for spark plugs, valve clearance check and adjust. I'd also do coolant, a t-stat, serpentine belt if it's still original, and a PCV valve if it's not been done.

If it's an auto, and you've not done it, atf x3, the atf filter and engine air and cabin filters.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Timing chain is supposed to be good for the life of the car or 500k miles.

·
2003 Accord EX, 2.4L MT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
105,000K Maintenance

I haven't done any tune up services yet, but spark plugs are on their way. The issue that started this maintenance inquiry is that my engine malfunction light came on. When I pulled the code at Shucks it gave me code P2647, Actuator Arm is stuck on Bank I. After researching this code it seems like my best bet is to replace the VTEC oil pressure switch and solenoid. So, those are also on their way in the mail as well.
If anyone needs the part #'s:
37250-PNE-G01 & 15810-RAA-A03

Is the PCV valve something that I can replace myself? Also, I have a manual transmission, and I read that it is time to replace the crankcase fluid. Is that the same as transmission fluid? I will look into getting the valve clearance inspected & adjusted, and change the filters.

Thanks for all the great ideas!:thmsup:

·
mobiless2
2,200 Posts
PVC is external, very easy to replace. Manual Trans fluid is different from Auto.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts