Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2005 Honda Accord LX, 4 cylinder, manual transmission, 155K miles. I just had the timing chain replaced and the timing adjusted. When I got it back the engine sounds louder than it did before especially in 2nd and 3rd. It now sounds like a sportscar instead of a sedan. It almost sounds like a sporty exhaust system is now on the car. The mechanic doesn’t seem to hear it because he does not know what it sounded like before, but both my wife and son have made the same observation, unprompted by me.
The mechanic claims that he did nothing to the exhaust and he didn’t do anything that would affect the to make it sound like that and says that he can’t do anything about it. It sounds strange to me also because how could the timing chain have anything to do with how loud the car sounds?
Can anybody help me (and my mechanic) to determine what could have happened during the timing chain replacement that could make the car sound loud now? Thank you.

· The Keyless-Wonder
554 Posts
Where do you hear the noise? Under the hood?

· Registered
5,377 Posts
Make sure your exhaust wasn't damaged. While idling, block the tailpipe with a rag and see if air is escaping somewhere. That would be the hole.

· Registered
4,064 Posts
^^ that's what I'm thinking. Dude compromised the exhaust somehow. You're just gonna have to find where the noise is coming from.

· V4 Watch
937 Posts
Is it louder in all situations (exhaust) or is it only louder when you are hard on the gas (intake)?

· Registered
5,377 Posts
A car that is missing due to jumped teeth would have less power. Maybe you're not used to it running properly?

· Registered
2,158 Posts
I have a 2005 Honda Accord LX, 4 cylinder, manual transmission, 155K miles. I just had the timing chain replaced and the timing adjusted. When I got it back the engine sounds louder than it did before especially in 2nd and 3rd. It now sounds like a sportscar instead of a sedan. It almost sounds like a sporty exhaust system is now on the car.
loose valve cover?

· Super Moderator
7,442 Posts
I just went over the service manual on chain removal and installation, and nothing exhaust related is involved. So you are looking at a loose chain case cover on the left or valve cover somewhere that's not sealed properly I think.

· The Keyless-Wonder
554 Posts
M'kay... Either the whole family decided that they enjoy the new sports car-like noise, or the cause was found and we'll never know...:dunno:

· Registered
5,693 Posts
A loose chain cover is going to be real noticeable as the oil will be leaking from the engine. My guess would be a loose or missing exhaust bolt. Or a loose intake clamp or filter cover. Or possibly a loose valve cover, but I would expect oil leakage for that.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.