Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Quick question:

I'm planning on tinting my windows including my windshield.
I wonder if that will affect the sunlight sensor and make my A/C work bad.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
Hi all.

Quick question:

I'm planning on tinting my windows including my windshield.
I wonder if that will affect the sunlight sensor and make my A/C work bad.
First of all, tinting your windshield is illegal in all States. So you will probably get pulled over and receive a ticket. Driving at night would be unsafe too. Second, yes, tinting your front windshield will affect your sunlight sensor because the Auto Climate control will not receive the proper "sunlight" from the sun to adjust the temperature accordingly. It may think it is an overcast day. This would affect temperature and fan speed. This of course only affects the Auto operation. If you use the manual fan and temp control all the time, then you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
First of all, tinting your windshield is illegal in all States. So you will probably get pulled over and receive a ticket. Driving at night would be unsafe too. Second, yes, tinting your front windshield will affect your sunlight sensor because the Auto Climate control will not receive the proper "sunlight" from the sun to adjust the temperature accordingly. It may think it is an overcast day. This would affect temperature and fan speed. This of course only affects the Auto operation. If you use the manual fan and temp control all the time, then you have nothing to worry about.
+1. Really not worth tinting the front windshield.

·
Registered
415 Posts
It is worth it to tint the windshield...You can get tint installed that is greater than 70% (barely noticeable) with 99% UV protection. The windshield lets in large quantities of heat while the UV fades your interior and sunburns you. I'm planning on getting 35% all around with 70% on the windshield.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
It is worth it to tint the windshield...You can get tint installed that is greater than 70% (barely noticeable) with 99% UV protection. The windshield lets in large quantities of heat while the UV fades your interior and sunburns you. I'm planning on getting 35% all around with 70% on the windshield.
Window tint is not perfectly clear, so when you drive, especially at night, you will be looking out of a slightly blurred windshield. A friend of mine tinted his entire windshield. Looked terrible. Unless you know someone at the tint shop, most of them won't do it because it is illegal. But do what you want. If you insist on tinting the windshield, not sure why you asked the question about the sunlight sensor.

·
Banned
578 Posts
You do not need to add tint to get UV block. ALL your windows have UV block in them already...ALL of them. They vary in amount, but its always a high number. Look into it...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the response.

I don't live in the united states, here the laws are a little more flexible.
I want to give it a very mild tint on the front because I park my car in the sun all day and I want to protect the interior a little more, and I used to drive a car with tinted glass all around and I like the privacy feeling.

I used my A/A in auto all the time, and if the tint affect in any way the system, I will desist tinting the front , hence the question.

Thanks again.

Sorry if my English is not too good. :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
You do not need to add tint to get UV block. ALL your windows have UV block in them already...ALL of them. They vary in amount, but its always a high number. Look into it...
Do you have any links or references to this information? The OEM glass may have UV protection, but not 99% like the Llumar film for windscreens. You can get that in 70-85% tint. I doubt that would have significant effect on night driving.

·
Banned
578 Posts
Do you have any links or references to this information? The OEM glass may have UV protection, but not 99% like the Llumar film for windscreens. You can get that in 70-85% tint. I doubt that would have significant effect on night driving.
I once did...it takes a lot to find on the web. But its out there. The only reason I know is becasue I was a "professional" window tint installer in the early 90's and we were given information like this for sales purposes. We never told the customer about UV coatings on OEM glass because we wanted to sell more tint. But if they asked, which many did, we were told to provide accurate information. It did not deter a single sale that I know of...

Doubt if you like, but just look at "clear" automotive glass...its never actually "clear". Not only does it have UV block, it has on average a 95% tint.

·
Registered
415 Posts
There's more than I thought...but tough to find reputable sources...not written by a window tinting source.
That all looks valid, but are there any OEM Honda specific resources that claim UV filtering in their glass?

BTW...thanks for the info, it's definitely interesting. I swear I got sunburned while driving my 97 Jeep on the highway for 9 hours. I haven't had quite that length of trip in my Accord yet.

·
Banned
578 Posts
That all looks valid, but are there any OEM Honda specific resources that claim UV filtering in their glass?

BTW...thanks for the info, it's definitely interesting. I swear I got sunburned while driving my 97 Jeep on the highway for 9 hours. I haven't had quite that length of trip in my Accord yet.
You can get a sun burn wearing sun block too...

And the UV block in automotive glass is an actual specification I believe. Its not just a Honda decision, or Toyota option. There was/is some sort of minimum spec to be met...its a matter of finding it. If its anything like some engineering specs, such as ASTM or SAE, you have to pay $$$. They arent free reading...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts