Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called a local tint shop to get a quote. I got $200 for Accord Sport. Solar gard brand tint. Then I asked what is legal. He said all tint is illegal. Then I saw on the web from it said New York passed a new law Sept.2012 that all tint is illegal and will not pass inspection. I don't know if that is true or not. You know what they say about what you read on the internet. Just wondering if anyone else heard of this.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,507 Posts
Per NY DMV (http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv80w.pdf):

The front windshield and side windows on both sides of any vehicle operating in New York State must allow at least 70% of any light to pass through.

The rear window may allow less than 70% of any light to pass through if the vehicle has mirrors on both sides that can be adjusted so the driver has a clear view of the road and traffic conditions behind the vehicle.

The rear side windows of any station wagon, sedan, hardtop, coupe, hatchback or convertible must also allow 70% of any light to pass through.
Summary: legally, you can only tint the rear window if you have 2 side mirrors.

·
Banned
694 Posts
I've had 20% tint on my past two cars, I've never had a problem passing state inspection. I've gotten tickets, but I don't care. I want my privacy.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Im surprised breathing isn't illegal yet in new york. Been living in manhattan 24 yrs and its like ny its its own country.
I'm trying to get my pistol permit right now. It's ridiculous here.

Tiny should not be a problem when getting the car inspected.

·
Registered
204 Posts
What part of NY are you in? I know the city will mess with you Long Island ain't that bad upstate I have no clue. But you should atleast post some info about your car (color inside/out) so we can give advise on what percent you should go with. I have 35% been pulled over and haven't gotten a ticket for them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Pistol permits are by county not the state. So like in my county a local judge signs off on it and every pistol you buy afterwards. It can be over a month after you buy your pistol before you pick it up. 10 miles west of me you can buy a pistol and pick it up the same day.

I'm pretty sure a tint ticket is no longer a fix it ticket anymore either, I'm still on the fence about tinting mine because of that.

·
7th Gear
344 Posts
I have 17% and live in Suffolk county and have not been pulled over or gotten a ticket even though university cops see my car everyday.

·
2013 EX-L V6-6MT
348 Posts
I live in PA and it has the same 70% rule for all the windows, including the rear window. What's really stupid is that SUVs and even some station wagon/SUV vehicles are allowed to have the rear side windows and rear window tinted as much as they like. Every SUV I see has factory tint, but for sedans, it's prohibited. Makes absolutely no sense.

·
Banned
784 Posts
This is not SAFE for bikers, runners and walkers!

I've had 20% tint on my past two cars, I've never had a problem passing state inspection. I've gotten tickets, but I don't care. I want my privacy.
I bike to work from Apr to Nov. Luckily I have a full access to bike paths from the start to finish. The cars with tints are problem for me since I cannot visually confirm whether the driver has seen me or not as I am riding on the bike paths. I am all for privacy but when it affects the safety of others (bikers, runners and walkers) then I am not sure.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bike to work from Apr to Nov. Luckily I have a full access to bike paths from the start to finish. The cars with tints are problem for me since I cannot visually confirm whether the driver has seen me or not as I am riding on the bike paths. I am all for privacy but when it affects the safety of others (bikers, runners and walkers) then I am not sure.
I can understand that, since I have been riding motorcycles for years. Most idots are texting anyway, they won't see you either.

·
To me my board!
115 Posts
I can understand that, since I have been riding motorcycles for years. Most idots are texting anyway, they won't see you either.
Texting is no NOT limited to cars (and pedestrians)... In the last couple months I've seen more and more motorcycle riders texting. One Harley rider actually had some type of "custom" phone holder mounted to his tank. The worst example was a stupid kid riding a crotch rocket wearing sandals, shorts, tank top, no gloves or helmet... and texting. :censored:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Texting is no NOT limited to cars (and pedestrians)... In the last couple months I've seen more and more motorcycle riders texting. One Harley rider actually had some type of "custom" phone holder mounted to his tank. The worst example was a stupid kid riding a crotch rocket wearing sandals, shorts, tank top, no gloves or helmet... and texting. :censored:

That's a full blown asshat, like the idots that put their girlfriend on the back of the bike with the same clothing and sandals. It's bad enough the driver takes the risk, but puts the passenger in risk as well.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.