Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I want to tint my windows..... i would be going with 20% all around that doesn't really matter tho the question I have is.... sometimes when i roll my window down there is a screeching/scratching noise not sure if anyone else has heard this or had it happen, but what I want to know is if that noise is coming from something scraping against the window or what, and is there any way to remedy this problem. I would just hate to go drop like 200 on tint and then scrape it all off the first time i roll my window down.

Thanks in advance for any insight or assistance!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I've seen happen on my pilot was the security tag on the window making the scraping sound. Would check any stickers on the window first.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks! How could you tell were there visible scratches in the sticker? I just checked and I don't see any scratches or scrapes or anything that would make me think it was the stickers making this noise...

It sounds like a rock crusher I doubt its just a sticker...

Thanks for the input tho.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the same sound and it is driving me nuts..
I know!! I don't like at all, not only does it scare me but its a little embarrassing when other people are in my car... It doesn't happen every time I roll my window up or down just sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
There is a rubber strip near the top edge of the door skin on the inside which seals against the window glass, in the past there is usually a felt type material on the rubber face, but Honda stopped doing that at some point, including the 7th Gen Accord and TL of the same vintage, which means small grit/sand particles can get caught on the rubber edge and rub against the glass as the glass travels up and down.

Some window tinting shop will apply a "mole skin" strip on the rubber to prevent the friction induced noise.

That is assuming the noise you are describing is not from a squeaky mechanical part such as window rails or other power window mechanism.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a rubber strip near the top edge of the door skin on the inside which seals against the window glass, in the past there is usually a felt type material on the rubber face, but Honda stopped doing that at some point, including the 7th Gen Accord and TL of the same vintage, which means small grit/sand particles can get caught on the rubber edge and rub against the glass as the glass travels up and down.

Some window tinting shop will apply a "mole skin" strip on the rubber to prevent the friction induced noise.

That is assuming the noise you are describing is not from a squeaky mechanical part such as window rails or other power window mechanism.
It must be mechanical its so loud i doubt it is just from the seal and small particles caught in it... i guess the next step is to pull the door card and see if the rails need to be greased and cleaned..

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I still don't know why people just don't install felt from tint protector.

It stops the 100% certainty of accord tint scratching.

I also don't know why most tint shops cheap out and use the crap moleskin that is meant for homes not cars. It doesn't last.
I really don't think its the seals so the felt would not make a difference I believe it may have to do with the internal mechanics of the window the sound is way to loud to be just debris in the seal.... it literally sounds like someone put a handful of rocks in a blender.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts