Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was wondering if anyone has tried to tint just the white part on the tail lights(where the reverse lights are). If so did it work out an how did it look? Do you think I would need brighter reverse lights then like leds?...If anyone has any pics can you post them up?
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
7,850 Posts
1. The 7th Gen reverse lights are already pretty dim IMHO, tinting it will not make it any better
2. I've tried the LEDs, they were even worse than the stock incandescent lamps

I would personally advise against doing this, don't let fashion override function.

·
Registered
462 Posts
You will hardly see anything behind you if you put leds in..

If your gonna tint them you can do a very light coat but then again, I think they look fine. I wouldn't touch them

·
2008 Honda Accord V6 EX-L
674 Posts
idk about tinting them man, like aviography say they are pretty dim as it is. The light is barely visible especially if you have tints. My opinion is keep them stock, but your car do what you after all your the one driving it everyday. :D

·
Coldspeed
696 Posts
Not to thread jack, but does anyone have any pictures of the tail lights tinted, everything except the reverse lights? :D Just wondering what that'd look like.

·
Midnight 07
97 Posts
this is what i did....like it?

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright thanks for the input. If I were to use the tint film to test it would it be easy to remove?
btw crageyman your cars looks really nice

·
Registered
190 Posts
I did this...sort of, Used some window tint from Wal-Mart :thumbsup: (30%) So after awhile they went purple and I took them off

·
‎']['{[]}{[]}][_
418 Posts
I've seen the reverse lights modded to take HID's somewhere on this forum. I guess if you did that, maybe then you could add some tint on the reverse lights and not worry about light output degridation. :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
7,850 Posts
I've seen the reverse lights modded to take HID's somewhere on this forum. I guess if you did that, maybe then you could add some tint on the reverse lights and not worry about light output degridation. :dunno:
I think it was Rich who did the HID reverse light, however the HID takes a bit to come up to full brightness, by that time a driver likely has finished the need for reversing.

That said I suspect even during the warm up phase, the HID will likely be brighter than the OEM bulbs after only a few seconds.

·
‎']['{[]}{[]}][_
418 Posts
I think it was Rich who did the HID reverse light, however the HID takes a bit to come up to full brightness, by that time a driver likely has finished the need for reversing...
LOL! That's true! Yea, p r o b a b l y , a bit overkill.

...That said I suspect even during the warm up phase, the HID will likely be brighter than the OEM bulbs after only a few seconds.
I guess a more practical approach would be to use a set of standard headlight bulbs instead...

·
Prim and Proper
819 Posts
Why is everyone showing the OP tail lights from either a sedan or a 7.5 Gen? The sedan has a reflective coating on the inside of the housing so the reverse lights are much brighter, as do the 7.5 Gens. The downfall of the 7 gen coupe is that they don't have that reflective coating so the reverse lights are very dim. Because of this, I wouldn't recommend tinting them. Your best bet would be to get tail lights like these and have a tint shop tint them for you if you want them smoked or something. If you don't like those you can ask if he still has these in stock, or if he can get them for you. Revotec is a really good seller who will work with you to get you what you want

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
3,497 Posts
The OEM housing on the 2003-2005 coupe has a diffused reverse lamp lens. So it makes the light look dimmer than it actually is, and there is no reflective background, so the light goes nowhere. After I installed my Eagle Eye LEDs, the original stock reverse lamp is much brighter and the reflective backing now actually projects the reverse light. So it is like a couple of flashlights behind my car when I put it in reverse. It improves visibility behind me at night significantly.

Eagle Eye had a Red/Smoke version, but discontinued them due to poor sales. You might find some on eBay floating around. The smoked lens wasn't much darker than clear because they still must meet DOT standards.

Here are the Red/Smoke Eagle Eye LEDs
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showpost.php?p=480643&postcount=5

Here are the Red/Clear Eagle Eye LEDs
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38450

This link shows the difference side by side of the OEM coupe housing and the Eagle Eye housing. You can see how much the OEM reverse light is diffused to reduce the brightness compared to the clear Eagle Eye:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showpost.php?p=593910&postcount=20

So tinting the OEM reverse housing wouldn't be a great idea. However, you can get the Eagle Eye Red/Clear and experiment with tinting those if you wanted to.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I love my 7.5gen reverse lights. They are bright as hell! They come in handy all the time. So I couldnt imagine wanting to tint them.

·
7th Gear
110 Posts
Personally, I love the look of the tint. My tails & reverse lights aren't bright enough though, so I plan on throwing in an HID kit, and some custom LEDs to light everything up. Currently, with my window tint and tail light tint, my reverse lights are pointless. I have to roll down my windows, and let my eyes adjust to the dark if there is something behind me when backing up.

(Before my coils, but you can see the tails better in this pic)

·
7th Gear
110 Posts
Alright thanks for the input. If I were to use the tint film to test it would it be easy to remove?
btw crageyman your cars looks really nice
Depends on the film I think. Some use glue, and some stick with static. The static ones are easy to remove, but it can be tough to keep the corners from peeling.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
3,497 Posts
Personally, I love the look of the tint. My tails & reverse lights aren't bright enough though, so I plan on throwing in an HID kit, and some custom LEDs to light everything up. Currently, with my window tint and tail light tint, my reverse lights are pointless. I have to roll down my windows, and let my eyes adjust to the dark if there is something behind me when backing up.
If you like the black look, you should get the Eagle Eye LED black tail lights. At least with the Eagle Eye 'black' LEDs, you will be safe knowing that someone will see your tail lights and not rear-end you. With your current blacked out tail lights, you increase the chance of getting rear-ended because your tail lights are not bright enough to alert anyone behind you that you are stopping. Installing HIDs in your tail lights won't solve the problem because HIDs do not reach full brightness when they initially illuminate. I have seen some people drive around with tinted tail lights and during a bright sunny day, you can't even see the brake lights because the tint was too dark.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts