Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The black dashboard gets dirty and dusty rather easily. Because of the soft touch material, I find it tough to clean. Looking for tips on what you use.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I've been using this stuff for about 10 years. It's great -- no residue, no grease, no gloss. Everything just looks new again, and you can spray it on the instrument cluster cover, the nav screen, etc.

·
Registered
755 Posts
When it's real dirty, I first spray water on a microfiber towel and wipe gently to get the main dust and lint off.

I like a shiny dashboard so I use meguiar's supreme shine after but always spray on a microfiber towel as well and never directly on the dashboard. That stuff is difficult to clean off a windshield.

·
2018 LX
124 Posts
The black dashboard gets dirty and dusty rather easily. Because of the soft touch material, I find it tough to clean. Looking for tips on what you use.
I keep a Swiffer Duster in my glove box and can clean my dash and console at a red light. Keeps it spotless all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
So Mote it Be
18 Posts
As mentioned above: Meguiars Quick Detailer, or their Natural Shine, but any good car-care company natural (choose your shine level) should do fine. Just use it regularly. i.e. weekly or bi-weekly. Takes but a minute or two.

·
Registered
82 Posts
A Swiffer duster in the glove box and Armor-all wipes every once in a while. Since I don't have passengers often, I don't eat inside my car and use A/C 100% of the time it does not get very dusty and the Swiffer duster does a perfect job.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Be careful of off the shelf products. Your dash should just use soap and water. A lot of the products will eventually dry out, crack, discolor your dash.

·
Turbocharged
803 Posts
A damp and clean microfiber towel. That's it. Looks like new afterwards. Just make sure you don't leave any excess water on the dash. Wipe up with a clean and dry microfiber towel if necessary.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,880 Posts
Poorboys natural look.... amazing stuff, it will make your dash look new- not shiny, and not Matte- just new. No reflection.
Yup, I've used Poboys on two Accords, the best there is. I use it on the doors too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I just got my 2019 Accord Sport 1.5 several weeks ago. Anyhow here’s my problem-there was a stain on the dashboard, that I stupidly tried cleaning with a little Windex and a paper towel. The stain is gone, but now I can’t get rid of the paper towel lint! I tried a microfiber cloth with a little warm water, then dry, then with a little Windex-nothing. The lint won’t come off! Any ideas on how I can remove it, or would be going to a pro detailer be the best option? Thanks in advance for any/all help!

·
Registered
108 Posts
The 10th gen. accord is using some material around the interior as well as a protective layer on the leather trim that is more absorbent than normal. I'm not surprised you had a stain there. As for your lint problem, be careful not to do anything that will scratch or damage your dashboard.

IMHO, if we're only talking lint and nothing else now, I would use interior protectant wipes that you can pick up from an auto store. They don't leave lint behind and will help protect your interior as well.

·
Registered
755 Posts
For the lint, I would try magic eraser with very light pressure and a little water.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Hi all,

I just got my 2019 Accord Sport 1.5 several weeks ago. Anyhow here’s my problem-there was a stain on the dashboard, that I stupidly tried cleaning with a little Windex and a paper towel. The stain is gone, but now I can’t get rid of the paper towel lint! I tried a microfiber cloth with a little warm water, then dry, then with a little Windex-nothing. The lint won’t come off! Any ideas on how I can remove it, or would be going to a pro detailer be the best option? Thanks in advance for any/all help!
I'd stay away from things like Windex with all its solvents (2-hexoxyethanol, isopropanolamine, sodium dodecylbenzene sulfonate, lauramine oxide) plus AMMONIA. They may damage the materials (PVC and ABS) used to make the dash and its finish/shine. Compare those to what's in something like Armor All [PDMS (silicone), diethylene glycol, glycerin] which is recommended for auto interiors, but not for leather interiors.

So try cleaning the spot gently with one of the sprays or wipes specifically recommended for non-leather auto interiors, using circular motions overlapping the spot and gradually extending into a wider area to see if you can blend it in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, so I decided to err on the side of caution and take the car to the dealer today, to have their detailing department look at the problem. Long story short, they said the dye on the dashboard was removed by the Windex. They also said it could "possibly" be repaired for about $150 dollars, by having the spot re-colored, by the same group they use to fix damaged seats, etc. Now I have to decide if it's worth it to try and fix. The car is a lease, and while I was at the dealer I spoke with the service manager, he said the stain (missing dye) wouldn't even be given a second look when we turn the car in. I've been driving for over thirty years, and have owned numerous cars, and this is the first car I have ever owned that was negatively impacted by Windex. I love the car, but I hope its delicate materials aren't going to be too much of an issue going forward.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,238 Posts
Why would you use glass cleaner on not-glass? You should have a cleaner for each different surface. The accepted practice for dashboards for years has been to use mild detergent and water only.

For the most part cars don’t have hard plastic panels anymore - at least dashboards. “Soft touch” materials are much nicer, but are definitely more delicate. Just take more care in life and whereas you will never eliminate wear and tear, you won’t outright damage things either. The leather wrapped steering wheel is delicate as well,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts