Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if you guys have seen this video

but it shows a cheap fix for sagging sunvisors on 8th gen Accords that involves drilling a hole through the latch mechanism and using a post screw to apply pressure to the latch. I just tried this fix today, and it worked great, reducing my sag from 2-2.5 inches to less than half an inch. While I was doing it I did encounter some snags, which I solved, and I figured I might as well share some tips for doing this.

- When doing the driver's side visor, do yourself a favor and remove the fuse from the horn. It's in the under-hood fuse box (I don't know about other Accords but on my LX it was the only 20 amp fuse in there, which makes it easier to locate). It takes a couple minutes and will make sure you don't blow your eardrums out when you hit the steering wheel trying to get behind the visor.

- If you're using a 5/8 inch post screw, the hole should be 1/4 inch.

- Use some kind of masking tape where you're drilling so the fabric doesn't get all twisted up.

- Make sure you're using a metal-cutting bit, because the metal inside the visor is a lot tougher than you'd expect. At first I tried using a standard wood-cutting bit, and it did penetrate the visor completely with some elbow grease, but it left some metal still there causing the post to not want to go in. Then I went out and bought the proper bit, and it drilled through without a problem.

- Even when you're using a metal-cutting bit, start from the side that doesn't have the mirror on it, as it seems to have less metal, making it easier to get through.

All in all, for taking some time out of my day, this was more than worth it.

·
2010 2.4EX
25 Posts
I don't know, the sun visors on the two 2010 Accords I test drove(which include the one I bought last month) were still 'BMW-tight'! They snap down into position to block the sun, and after muscling back up, snap right up against the headliner. I'm fairly certain the visors in my EX could each hold a ten LB dumbbell hung from them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Consider yourself lucky. I'm fairly sure this issue is caused by poor design inside the visor, so if yours is still working, you might wanna buy a lottery ticket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts