Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Chicago Honda
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the tire questions I see here lately, I wanted to dedicate a specific thread to this question.....are the tires that come on the car from the factory in any way different from that same exact version you would buy new in a store?

For example, are the factory tires only gonna get me 25k miles whereas that same exact tire bought new at store X gonna last for 50k?

I have the original honda factory michelins and drive like Ricky racer in bad upper Midwest road conditions.....I have 30k on them.....do I need to start shopping?

·
Registered
288 Posts
No difference.

Factors that influence tire life vary by driver, driving conditions, psi, etc...

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Don't know whether the OEM tires are better or worse than the same aftermarket brand and model, but I put 2 of the same Goodyears on my Odyssey I have on my Accord. There is a minor tread pattern difference.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
No difference.

Factors that influence tire life vary by driver, driving conditions, psi, etc...
Not 100% true. Michelin makes 4 different versions of the 215/55-17 MXV4 that comes on the US cars with 17" tires. The Michelin that is the Honda version has a UTQG rating of 500 A A and a service description of 94V. In theory this tire will wear quicker than the standard MXV4 that is also offered with a UTQG rating of 620 A A and service description of 94H.

Honda has their own version of the Primacy MXV4.

Honda also has it's own version of the GY FuelMax that looks completely different than any FuelMax I have seen outside of a Honda Dealership.

Car and Driver or Motor Trend (I get both) just did an article on how some factory tires differ from the retail version.

Jay

·
Registered
288 Posts
I stand corrected. Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Not 100% true. Michelin makes 4 different versions of the 215/55-17 MXV4 that comes on the US cars with 17" tires. The Michelin that is the Honda version has a UTQG rating of 500 A A and a service description of 94V. In theory this tire will wear quicker than the standard MXV4 that is also offered with a UTQG rating of 620 A A and service description of 94H.

Honda also has it's own version of the GY FuelMax that looks completely different than any FuelMax I have seen outside of a Honda Dealership.

Car and Driver or Motor Trend (I get both) just did an article on how some factory tires differ from the retail version.

Jay
I wonder why Honda would put a different version of the tire on the car than the replacement tire you can buy at retail? Do they get it at a cheaper price?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wonder why Honda would put a different version of the tire on the car than the replacement tire you can buy at retail? Do they get it at a cheaper price?

From my understanding (talked with some friends in the business), manufacturers will put a version of the tire on the car that is quieter and grippier, but wears more quickly. For example, my 2011 Odyssey came with Continental ProContacts on it that wore after about 36,000 miles. The new tires (also ProContacts) have a longer rating, but I have noticed that they are louder.

It's all about making the car look nice on a test drive.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If this were true the replacements you buy at your local tire dealer would have a different product code. The Michelins and GYs I buy are identical to he oem tires used.

·
4,339 Posts
Let me clarify. You can get the OEM tires at the tire shops. You just have to make sure you get the right ones. Like I said the Michelin MXV4 comes in (4) versions
in the Stock Honda 17" size. You have to make sure that "Ricky" the manager at the tire shop orders the right ones.

Reading the specs on the Honda tire it is 149mph "V" rated with a lower UTQG rating making it a softer compound. This probably gave Honda engineers the ride and feel they wanted.

Jay

·
4,339 Posts
Honda engineers probably wanted a little more grip (softer compound = lower UTQG rating) but good road feel (Higher speed rating for firmer belts) and stiffer sidewalls (higher load rating "94").

Jay

·
4,339 Posts
One last thing, the stock Honda Michelins only have 9.5/32" thread. The standard issue Michelin MXV4 have 11/32". So the stock tire is softer and has 1.5/32" less tread AND is $11 more per tire...

Jay

·
Registered
46 Posts
Back in the olden days in a previous life, I worked for Goodyear. I knew some guys in marketing and sales. What they told me is they would get requests from OEs for a particlular tire at a particular price point and they would design, build, and price to what the OE was looking for. Lets face it, if the OE buys a few hundred thousand sets of X tire, maybe one that goes across a few models to maximize purchase volume, they get a pretty sweet deal. And taking a buck out here and a buck out t here goes straight to the bottom line.

So although I cannot comment specifically on Honda, in general, the tires delivered on a new car, even though they may have the same branding as a retail tire, most likely are not exactly the same as what comes on the car from the factory

·
Registered
167 Posts
I understand there is a difference. Manufactures receive a higher grade of product than retail outlets.
Not true.

The car manufacturer will sometimes ask a tire company to tweak a tire to their requirements for a particular car. It can be done to ride, noise, rolling resistance, what ever characteristic the car manufacturer is looking for. Since most OEM's are looking for low noise, rolling resistance and good ride characteristics wear and handling can take a back seat if OEM asks the tire manufacturer to tweak these items.

If the tire has an OEM version there will be 2 or more part numbers for a given size in that line up. Figuring out which is best is not always the easiest thing to do. The tire company can sometimes shed light on what the differences are between the different tires.

There are a lot of vehicles that use and "off the shelf" tire from the tire company. It depends on what OEM wants. In some ways the OEM tweaked tire will be better than an OTS and on others the OTS will be better. It all depends on what tire characteristics are most important to the end user.

So although I cannot comment specifically on Honda, in general, the tires delivered on a new car, even though they may have the same branding as a retail tire, most likely are not exactly the same as what comes on the car from the factory
Most tire stores are not likely to stock and OE tire but will be able to get their hands on it. Having worked with Michelin, BFG, Bridgestone, and Yokohama we had access to all of the OE tires that came originally on the vehicle.

Sorry for rambling on.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I agree with many of the comments saying the tires are different. Honda/Others want to ensure the tires are both quieter and less rolling resistance to improve MPGs. Most wear out much sooner than buying same tire retail aftermarket. I am convinced of that based on prior experience

·
Registered
167 Posts
Most wear out much sooner than buying same tire retail aftermarket. I am convinced of that based on prior experience

If you buy the exact same part number as OE it will not be different in any way what so ever than the one that came on the car. Most tire dealers are not going to sell you the exact same part number as the OE tire unless you specifically ask for it or it is the only tire available for that specification.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Having worked for Goodyear, I can answer this question as yes and no. It all depends on the tire. Sometimes there are OEM only tire models that do differ from the same tire available on a retail basis. Other times the tires are exactly the same. There are even some instances where the tires of the same model and size actually differ from one OEM Application to another. For instance, the Eagle RSA was OEM on Honda Civics and Toyota Corollas in 205/55/16. Those tires each had a different product code but the same UTTG ratings. The sidewall lettering height was the only difference I could tell. The Integrity's that came on Honda Pilots were exactly the same as the retail versions. I am sure this applies not just for Goodyear, but also for other brands. Michelin and Goodyear are the top two OEM tire suppliers for all manufacturers (at least of cars sold in the US).

However the belief that manufacturers choose a compound that minimizes treadlife is not totally true either. I saw examples of the RSA's and Integrity's that were OEM that lasted 60k miles or more. That is far greater than either of those tires would be expected to last.

So it all depends on the specific tire and application.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts

Jay
This I never knew and I thought I knew everything. I get the same mags and several others and must have missed that article.

·
4,339 Posts
This I never knew and I thought I knew everything. I get the same mags and several others and must have missed that article.
It was a one page article in the back. It had (4) different examples that compared "off the rack" to OE Spec. It even talked about 'OE codes' that are stamped in the side wall to mark them as such.

Jay

·
Banned
784 Posts
It was a one page article in the back. It had (4) different examples that compared "off the rack" to OE Spec. It even talked about 'OE codes' that are stamped in the side wall to mark them as such.

Jay
Actually there are two versions of MXV4 tires with "V" rating.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts