Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the margin of error with respect to this monitoring system. Can cold weather produce a TP warning light?

·
Backyard wrench
47 Posts
What is the margin of error with respect to this monitoring system. Can cold weather produce a TP warning light?
I think it can be as much as 3-4# before it will activate. Cold weather can play a part for sure, but if it's the first time you've seen the light, I'd definately check them all to get a feel for why it went on. Fill them if needed and reset your system in the midi menu if need be.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Weather will make it go off. The first freeze we got a few weeks ago mine went off. I checked the tire pressure and they was fine. At the most 1 or 2 pounds off. I reset it and it hasn't come back on. The manual says to check and reset the tpms with a temp or altitude change. Also if your driving in snow and spinning your tires it will go off.

·
Banned
784 Posts
9th gen Accord uses indirect method (i.e., looking for the difference in the rotational speed) to detect a flat tire. Check the rear tire pressure first before checking the front (dominant front braking makes the front wheels warmer hence higher pressure). Recheck the tire pressure when cold then calibrate TPMS (see you manual - you just press the TPMS button for 5 seconds until TPMS light flashes for the system to recalibrate). As you drive, calibration is performed. It is always good to check tire pressure once two weeks or month if you can.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Today I had my TPMS light come on today. I stopped when safe and checked the pressures. They were all within .5psi of each other.

I had been driving on a snow covered road for a while. All I could think of is the snow had built up on the tread of a tire and set off the system. That could be a downside to this system.

Jay

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
But were they correct? :D If they're all 15psi, you could be in for trouble.
Yes

I now have them all at 33 and have reset the system.

Jay

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
Mine came on last month too. Checked all 4 and they were all the same, re-set the light using in the i-MID and 1,000 miles later light never came back on?

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
But were they correct? :D If they're all 15psi, you could be in for trouble.
Another reason I don't like the crude system on the accord. It measures differences in rotation not PSI. As you correctly state, if all tires have 8,10, or 15 PSI then the system says "everything is fine". Moreover, when a tire is down, it is incapable of telling you which tire it is. I like my '07 and '12 MDX system. Each tire PSI is displayed on the dash like so many cars.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
I checked my tires last month, since I didn't get a TPMS warning. My tires were all at 25-27 psi yet no warning came on. Don't trust the TPMS alone.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Another reason I don't like the crude system on the accord. It measures differences in rotation not PSI. As you correctly state, if all tires have 8,10, or 15 PSI then the system says "everything is fine". Moreover, when a tire is down, it is incapable of telling you which tire it is. I like my '07 and '12 MDX system. Each tire PSI is displayed on the dash like so many cars.
Hmm. I don't think that is true. If it was calibrated at a good pressure for all tires, and they all drop 5-10psi, I think you will get a warning as well. Haven't tested that yet. Not real easy to do…

What pressures are you guys filling to?

Mine are:
32 F / 34 R
I went ~34 all around last time. Why do you do different front to rear?

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts

·
Banned
784 Posts
Hmm. I don't think that is true. If it was calibrated at a good pressure for all tires, and they all drop 5-10psi, I think you will get a warning as well. Haven't tested that yet. Not real easy to do...
The OH_king is correct as the system is looking for difference in rotation. Honda is saving $100-150 by not using real TPMS sensors. $100 * 300,000 Accord = $30 million saving per year for Honda. It is a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Yes, but what are the chances that all 4 went down to those drastically low pressures at the same time? You set an extreme example. That said, I don't much like the system either. Sometimes it is overly sensitive, and sometimes not sensitive enough. And I too have wondered whether it would respond falsely to wheel spin in snow. Let's hope Honda engineered it to be tolerant of that.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Yes, but what are the chances that all 4 went down to those drastically low pressures at the same time? You set an extreme example. That said, I don't much like the system either. Sometimes it is overly sensitive, and sometimes not sensitive enough. And I too have wondered whether it would respond falsely to wheel spin in snow. Let's hope Honda engineered it to be tolerant of that.
All four tires can be low if there is a huge temperature swing like we had a few weeks ago. From 40F to -10F within 24 hours. It is extreme but it can happen.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
All four tires can be low if there is a huge temperature swing like we had a few weeks ago. From 40F to -10F within 24 hours. It is extreme but it can happen.
You know, I know it and it should be common knowledge that folks should adjust their tire pressures when we have an extreme change, up or down, in temperature

·
Registered
514 Posts
The OH_king is correct as the system is looking for difference in rotation. Honda is saving $100-150 by not using real TPMS sensors. $100 * 300,000 Accord = $30 million saving per year for Honda. It is a lot of money.
True, but you guys seem to be forgetting that the system can compare difference in rotation between when it was calibrated and the current speed for each tire alone, not just comparing tires. If it just compares tires, there's not much reason to calibrate it.

Wheel spin shouldn't be an issue. It seems to respond slowly for small pressure changes (up to 30 minutes.)

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
My 2005 Frontier has the TPMS and it has never recalibrated itself in the 9 years I have owned it. I don't understand why the Accord needs to constantly recalibrate.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts