Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the recommended tire pressure for the Sport Sedan is 33 front and 32 back, but is it ok to notch it up by 1 on all 4s? I know it will help with the fuel economy.

What do you guys normally put in?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I know that the recommended tire pressure for the Sport Sedan is 33 front and 32 back, but is it ok to notch it up by 1 on all 4s? I know it will help with the fuel economy.

What do you guys normally put in?
Why would you want to notch it up (or down) against manufacturer pressure recommendation? And how do you know it'll save you gas?

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts
every brand and size perform different . Do you own testing just make sure you start with a cold set of tires and see what works for you. On my 235/45/18 I run them at 38psi all the way around

·
Registered
834 Posts
the sedan is 33/32? The coupe is 33 all around. I keep them at 34.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I run 40 psi.

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
so if I pump them up a few psi I will ruin my tires? What have you based this conclusion on?
You won't "ruin" them per-se, but you will shorten their life. They are suppose to run with a calculated/designed pressure and if you over-inflate or under-infalte it shortens their life, it causes the car to be outside it's handling characteristics and you save no gas whatsoever.
That is, of course, assuming we are talking about normal road driving conditions, not off-road, extreme driving, racing, etc.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hey, was just pointing him to what's already been said. Thanks for your link! I'll leave mine as-is. :thumbsup:
Yup, I never over or under inflate. I go by the book. Tires are your only contact with the road :thmsup:

·
Registered
916 Posts
Not really. Not sure why anyone play with tire pressure that was specifically designed for a specific car. Your gas savings are non-existing or minimal at best, but you'll shorten your tires' life and also compromise car stability and safety.
Incorrect on all counts.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Incorrect on all counts.
Absolutely correct. It's proven. Did you see the PM link?

If it's incorrect, why would car manufacturer even bother posting tire pressure? Let the driver put whatever they want, right?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not really. Not sure why anyone play with tire pressure that was specifically designed for a specific car. Your gas savings are non-existing or minimal at best, but you'll shorten your tires' life and also compromise car stability and safety.
You are wrong.

Over inflation decreases wear.
MPG savings when inflated higher can be significant, but could be at the expense of decreased traction, handling, and ride comfort- but not necessarily.

As others have stated, the manufacturer's recommendations are a balanced compromise between safety, ride comfort, handling, fuel economy, tire life, and traction. Over inflation or under inflation can change that balance based upon the driver's desires.

And even in each of the above categories(safety, handling, traction, tire life, mpg, ride comfort) changing pressure can have both negative and a positive factors in each category at the same time.

Additionally, the manufacturers recommendations are based on an averaged cargo load. Your tires and car will behave differently if you have, say, one small adult female driving the car with no passengers or cargo, vs 5 large adult males and a trunk full of luggage.

·
Registered
916 Posts
^ this.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.