Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
SX8 piranha
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
currently running on 225/45/18, 2DIN pioneer HU and focals speakers and 12" sub. planning to do 50 profile and dampening/insulating the doors and flooring. does these reduce the road noise dramatically or i will be just wasting money? noticed also "feathering" on my rear inner tire causing loud sound.

·
Registered
206 Posts
To be sure of what you are hearing, download an app that measures sound decibels and drive it on the highway and set the cruise. Record the sound levels and repeat once you do the sound dampening. Make sure you repeat the same speed on the same stretch of road. I think some manufactures list the decibels ratings of their cars to get what the say your car should be at certain speeds.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Somewhere there is a thread about doing a Dynamat install, I plan on doing Dynamat this spring in my 12 Coupe, will start with the trunk area and then rear quarter panels, from what I understand a full Dynamat install will make the road noise drop about 20 decibels, which is a LOT, should be quieter than a Lexus. This stuff isn't cheap and isn't easy to install but if you plan on keeping your car more than 5 years it is worth it.

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I also have "feathering" in the rear as well. Had alignment done but seems irreversible at this point. It's just annoying noise now, 2 years on continentals and ready to get rid of them... 235/45/18.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I dont think the going to 50 is going to make that big of a difference, I think going with a better tire that is made for comfort and quite will be better. just my 2 cents.

Also for what its worth. I had 5 boxes of dynamat installed in my car...all in the trunk the all four doors, and other areas the guy thought it would help...I dont think it made that big of a difference in road noise, my car just doesn't rattle. So...dont expect the road noise to go down that much, our cars are just loud...I was going to get the entire floor done with dynamat but decided against it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have goodyear assurance tires on my 2008 honda ex-l accord, but the road noise or whinning is very loud, is this my tires or bearings

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have goodyear assurance tires on my 2008 honda ex-l accord, but the road noise or whinning is very loud, is this my tires or bearings
Tires.... I did as you and changed a bearing and it made absolutely no difference. Feel your tires or just go somewhere they'll check for free

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
No guarantee but most likely your problem is the tires. When you get ready for a new set check out the Michelin MXV4's. Pretty comfortable and quiet tire IMO.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I dont think the going to 50 is going to make that big of a difference, I think going with a better tire that is made for comfort and quite will be better. just my 2 cents.

Also for what its worth. I had 5 boxes of dynamat installed in my car...all in the trunk the all four doors, and other areas the guy thought it would help...I dont think it made that big of a difference in road noise, my car just doesn't rattle. So...dont expect the road noise to go down that much, our cars are just loud...I was going to get the entire floor done with dynamat but decided against it.
Ya this is because Dynamat is designed to dampen resonance, not insulate sound. Google around for sound deadening, reduce road noise, stuff like that...look for car audio forums and articles. There is a ton of really good information out there.

All of that said, Dynamat does function to reduce noise some depending on how it's installed...it's just not intended for that as a primary use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts