Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok....so i need new tires for my 2005 Ex-L Coupe.

first off i know nothing about tires :)

i went to my local tire store and they told me that i need " V " style tires..something to do with the width of the tires. they said these are the only tires i could use and they only had two styles in stock both of which were $600++ for all 4 tires.

i was wondering if this is reallly true or if they are just trying to make a buck!

any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
12,727 Posts
"V" style tires has nothing to do with how wide the tire is. "V" is the speed rating of the tire (i.e. the max speed capability of the tire). Honda recommends "V" speed tires, that's why they told you that.

Can you run lower speed tires? Sure, if you only drive around town or go not much faster than the speed limit.

$600+? What brand of tire, model, and size? $600+ is on the high side. I'd go somewhere else or order them online at places like: Tire Rack, Discount Tire/America's Tire, Discount Tires 2 Go, Onlinetires.com, etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i went to one more store on the way home they can me out the door for $500 even. they are stock size tires... they are Kuhmos not sure what kind though

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's high specially for Khumo tires. Tiresdirect.net has Toyo TPT tires at around $300 shipped, for a set of 4 205/50/16 tires. That includes shipping to Houston, TX. I will take them to a place like Pep Boys to get them mounted and balanced. They done this for me before at around $45. Is your coupe a V6 or an I4? The V6 with the manual 6 speed transmission uses 215/50/17 tires and the I4s and V6 auto appear to use a 205/50/16.

·
Greg
1,381 Posts
I agree with Elpibe, try checking online for tire prices as well. www.tiresdirect.net has some really good deals on Toyo tires as well as 3 other brands. Chances are the shop you went to who quoted you $500 for the tires is just trying to sell normal all-season Kumho tires to you. If you could save about $200 buying them online and getting a better brand (in my opinion), wouldn't you do that? :yes:

·
Registered
40 Posts
cpeterson7 --------

Read and learn:

http://www.handymanusa.com/articles/tire.html

If you have a four cylinder many places will sell & install and "H" speed rated tire, some will not.
RTexasF is right. You can install H rated tires to replace tires V rating. Most of the time going down one speed rating is ok. The only issue is the tire with the lower speed rating may have a softer sidewall. This may affect the steering feel and response for your car. If you don't drive aggressively, I am pretty sure H rated tires will be OK for you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree with Elpibe, try checking online for tire prices as well. www.tiresdirect.net has some really good deals on Toyo tires as well as 3 other brands. Chances are the shop you went to who quoted you $500 for the tires is just trying to sell normal all-season Kumho tires to you. If you could save about $200 buying them online and getting a better brand (in my opinion), wouldn't you do that? :yes:
Sup G Stone? How are you enjoying them new TOYO TPT? :thmsup: I am working overtime to get mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts