Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I had to buy tires for winter season and I found this website called Discount Tire Direct. I put in my model information (2009 Honda Accord EX-L I4 Sedan). And they showed me a bunch of different tire sizes (the recommended one being 225/50R17). However, they also showed optional sizes that would fit one of them being 225/60-16 which were Yokohoma IG20 Iceguard tires. I called up a mechanic and asked him to fit it and he said that I bought the wrong tires :thumbsdow

Is this true?

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
If your buying a set of 16" steelies you fine.

·
Registered
454 Posts
You can return the 16"s and get 17" winter tires or get 16" steel wheels to go with the winter tires you just bought. If you use the 16" wheels and not swap the TPMS sensors from your 17", you'll get a TPMS light on your dash.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,608 Posts
Yeah I just use my OEM wheels and 215/55R17 General Altimax winter wheels on my Accord. According to my GPS my speedo is still bang on accurate. THis way I don't get a TPMS light AND I can turn traction control off if I ever need to to get unstuck.

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
Get another mechanic!!

Of course that tire size will fit, I'm using 225/55-16 winter tires on my car and there is tonnes of room.

FWIW, you can see from my signatures my summer tires are 245/45-17 and they still fit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you guys!
I decided do go with the Hankook i-pike 17" winter tires. I can use my previous set of wheels no problem right?

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
This is good info. I have been thinking of adding larger tires (18), raising the car a smidge, or both.

Scott C.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Pro Tip: get a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires. They are all-season, but outperform almost every dedicated winter tire in snow (really), wear like iron, are great in the wet, ride well, and have solid dry traction.

I'm an old fart, and have used _many_ tires on many cars, and these are by a long way the best tires I've ever had on any vehicle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts