Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
A 225/55-17 tire is about 1.3 inches taller than your stock 215/50-17 tire. They’ll fit, but know they'll will throw off your speedometer by about 5%. When the speedo reads 60 mph, you’ll actually be going 63 mph.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Fitment/clearance issue question:

My buddy got his V6 6 speed in September and needs to change his wheels. He has a question about fitment/clearance, of which I am "the most ignorant man in the world".

Replacing non-OEM (Momo wheels) that are on his newly bought 06 Accord EX V6 6-speed....

He just bought 06 TL 5 spokes (8" wide) vs 7" wide for current Momo rims.

He is looking to up-size tires from recommended 235/45/17's to either
235/50/17, 235/55/17 or even down to 225/55/17's for this wheel.

Here is why he wants to do it:

1) to soften the stiff ride: currently on Michelin Primacy MXV4's on those Momo rims- only 2000 miles on the tires - replacing w/Continental Extreme Contact DWS

2) To add taller sidewall to protect extremely soft (as per two wheel shops) TL 5 spoke wheels on Chicago area pot-holed roads

I understand the revs per mile (rpm) will cause misreadings on speedometer and odometer, but that'll be taken into consideration.

The priority is whether there will be fitment issues, as far as clearances w/steering & suspension, or any other stresses on parts?

Not interested in other suspension changes (shocks, etc...), just tires.

Thoughts? Warnings?

·
Banned
694 Posts
If OP is really worried about ride, why stay with 17"s? May as well get 16"s or even 15" steelies.

·
White on Black AV6-6
100 Posts
This is answered mostly by using the search function. Just type in "rims" or "tire size"

I run 245/40r17 on 5 spoke TL rims.
Online tire store and local shops say these DO NOT fit but I'm like "I just drove here on that sized tire!" Some people have stuffed 255/40 on TL rims with minor fitment issues but ran just fine.
You are just looking for an answer but I can just tell you what I have on right now, which is a larger set up than most.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts