Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Rollin in FL
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really need some help here...

I got 2nd new set of tires from Discount Tires for free, and these happened to be GoodYear Assurance Maxlife, with tire size at 245/50R20. However, I am literally stuck in a situation, that's going literally nowhere. I had all wheel/tire balance done 3x, tire rotation 1x, and just this afternoon, front tire rebalance and rotation.

My steering wheel shakes whenever I am doing highway speeds (most roads in my part of Florida, including back roads, have posted limits with highway speeds). Local Acura stealership became a scumbag, and it shows. Its the first dealership that DOESN'T GIVE any type of documentation or paperwork, but just straightup closes the RO (repair order for those that doesn't know the shortcut). Even more fuming is that they hired an incompetent master tech and service advisor (who knows jack crap and literally does nothing other than playing on her phone, while others take in majority of the customers).

I got a friend of mine, who worked as a Service Advisor for Miami Acura for a while, before she quit, and she was furious with this entire situation. On top of this, Local Acura stealership (is there a better term that is coined for scummy stealerships?) and my particular Discount Tires chain are pointing fingers at each other, making this going nowhere. I did got a buddy of mine who owns a tire store, and he generously gave me his opinion and did the front tires (rebalanced them and rotated them), to find out the issue arose again. Now, this saturday, I am going to an AutoNation store, and they were really furious too about the original Acura dealership not working or helping out at all.

I also happened to drag Goodyear and Acura corporate into this mess too. Interestingly enough, Goodyear is willing to warranty the tires, as long as Acura has documentation of some sort that my MDX is mechanically sound and stable. Unfortunately, due to the original Acura dealership doing shady things, I am unable to get any sort of documentation from them, which added additional fuel to the already painstaking gigantic fire.

What is causing the tires to be out of balance? I am driving in the same route as I have been for the past 4 years without any issues. And I am still within the new car warranty, and I do have warped rotors (which apparently everyone is saying is totally irrelevant to this).

·
Turbo lag
1,050 Posts
Are the wheel weights falling off? Have you been keeping track of the wheel weights? It could be that they keep on just sticking wheel weights on wheels without cleaning them.

·
Rollin in FL
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the wheel weights falling off? Have you been keeping track of the wheel weights? It could be that they keep on just sticking wheel weights on wheels without cleaning them.
The wheel weights are there, not falling off.

Reactions: Hudouc

·
Turbo lag
1,050 Posts
What about the tire slipping in relative to the wheel? It's not common but also not unheard of. I'd mark the wheel and tire position with a piece of duck tape on all four wheels and see what happens. Apparently poor tire mounting can cause this.

I knew this was possible in cycling, but I didn't know this was possible on cars too. (had to look it up)

·
Rollin in FL
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about the tire slipping in relative to the wheel? It's not common but also not unheard of. I'd mark the wheel and tire position with a piece of duck tape on all four wheels and see what happens. Apparently poor tire mounting can cause this.

I knew this was possible in cycling, but I didn't know this was possible on cars too. (had to look it up)
I didn't saw anything resemble to it, but I am currently asking my tire guy if he saw it. I'm also pretty sure he didn't see it either.

·
Registered
2017 Accord LX 6MT Modern Steel Metallic
16 Posts
Look for somewhere by you that has a Hunter 9700 Road Force balancer. It forces a roller against the tire to look for spots that don't flex the same causing vibration. It also checks the wheels for any out of round and can help match those "hard" spots to a different point on rim. Some tires may get labelled as defective due to that point that doesn't flex.

Are the wheels original? Some after market wheels don't have the correct hub bore, or adapter rings and the wheel can move if it doesn't have the tapered lugs. Look up Hubcentric vs. Lugcentric.

After next balance just use a tire crayon to draw a line on tire and rim in case it does move. Too much or wrong type of bead seal/lubrication may let it spin as suggested. Harder to picture but tire shine products might seep in to that and cause it. As suggested after next balance take a picture of each wheel with the weights. maybe you lost part of one but not all.

·
Rollin in FL
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look for somewhere by you that has a Hunter 9700 Road Force balancer. It forces a roller against the tire to look for spots that don't flex the same causing vibration. It also checks the wheels for any out of round and can help match those "hard" spots to a different point on rim. Some tires may get labelled as defective due to that point that doesn't flex.

Are the wheels original? Some after market wheels don't have the correct hub bore, or adapter rings and the wheel can move if it doesn't have the tapered lugs. Look up Hubcentric vs. Lugcentric.

After next balance just use a tire crayon to draw a line on tire and rim in case it does move. Too much or wrong type of bead seal/lubrication may let it spin as suggested. Harder to picture but tire shine products might seep in to that and cause it. As suggested after next balance take a picture of each wheel with the weights. maybe you lost part of one but not all.
Yes wheels are original Acura 20" tech wheels. The Discount Tire store that I go to has the Hunter Road Force Balancer and they have balanced it 2-3 times already with that machine, and it still goes out of balance. I will see if AutoNation Acura will take pictures of each tires with the weights and use a tire crayon to draw the line before they take it out from the service bay. They did promise me to give the data of the balancing alongside with the multipoint inspection report. I do know Discount Tire has a habit of putting tire shine on after each service.

·
NOT your average Joe
2006 Accord EX Sedan, 2.4ℓ & 5-spd Auto
225 Posts
I'm not sure about others' experiences, but I had a similar problem w/ a set of Uniroyals. It seemed as though I was having the things balanced every week. A couple of coworkers mentioned they'd has similar problems w/ that brand and swore off them. I bought new rubber and didn't have to have them rebalanced throughout their life. I've never had that issue before and haven't had it since with different cars and different tires. Just FYI and good luck...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts