Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I found these on ebay. Anybody has any experience with them before? I guess they are made in China as seen on pictures from other sellers on ebay. I wanted to go for 18 inch OEM wheels (see my signature). But am now worried about the added weight of 18 inch wheels. Saw Jimijam's 17 inch TLs and loved them. Came across these non-OEMs while searching for 17 inch TL wheels. Advises are most welcomed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360755839090

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
See if you can find a pair of OEM Acura rims on Craigslist. You'd be much happier knowing they are OEM and not a knockoff.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
Stick with OEM.

Thanks to my best friend Rob over there for supplying me w/ this pic ;)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A picture is worth a thousand words :thmsup:. Got it loud and clear. Should start saving some money from now. Ok, how about used vs new?

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,161 Posts
Yes, try to find a set of real OEM Acura wheels because OEM wheels don't break.

FYI: Rota make/provide OEM wheels for many car manufacturers such as: Mitsubishi, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, and Mazda

Attachments

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am now confused and back to square one :dunno:. @namegoeshere, so the oem wheels also break :paranoid:?

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,161 Posts
@namegoeshere, so the oem wheels also break :paranoid:?
All wheels can break/crack, though some (i.e. cast) can break/crack easier than others (i.e. forged).

Most OEM wheels are cast. Those broken Rota wheels DreaminAccord posted are cast. In short, forged > rotary forged > low pressure cast > gravity cast.

Yes, "a picture is worth a thousand words," but what words are the pictures telling you? I can tell you with certainty that the pictures DreaminAccord posted aren't telling you under what conditions those wheels broke.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot for that info. So what do I do now?

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Yeah, search Craigslist and try to "size up" the seller. I have bought/sold dozens of sets of Honda/Acura/Enkei (OEM) wheel sets and can tell you that some are bent wheels.

My advice to you is when you find a set from a reputable seller (not a guy who steals wheels and then sells them on CL), have a tire installer ready to go to conclude the deal at that location. They can put the wheels on their balance machine and tell you in 1 minute if the wheels are good, or if they are "out of round". If out of round, it can cost $75-$100 to "re-heat and re-shape" the wheel. If the seller won't meet you at the tire shop, then try to work out a deal where if they are bent, you can return the wheels to the seller for a full refund.

Note: If you go to Walmart for tire install, their tire shop employees will pretty much mount any tire to any wheel- regardless if it is bent. You want to go to a highly-rated shop. In Chicago, I use KO Tire- all they do is install tires. For like 30 years, that is all they do. They actually ask you to NOT leave them a good review on Yelp! because there are already so many, some people think it is fake.

Lots of flood wheels, wheels from smashed up cars, 3 legitimate Enkei wheels + 1 made-in-China aftermarket wheel which looks close, but is not the same.

Having scared you, let me say that the majority of times, you can't go wrong buying wheels on CL. Lots of guys want to try different wheels each year, or size up or size down- always plenty of wheels for sale.

One last point: If you see a wheel with a whole lot of balance weight attached- I mean a lot, skip that wheel, it is not good.

EDIT: If buying a tire/wheel combo....be very careful, some tires are several years old. Look for the 4 digit date code on the sidewall. First two digits are the week (out of 52) they were made, and the last two are the calendar year they were made.

Also, if the seller lives in a nice neighborhood, has a well-kept garage and a wife who wants him to make room and sell his extra wheels, that is probably a good seller. If, however, the seller answers his cell phone with "Wha you want?", or asks you what kind of wheels you are looking for then tells you he will get them for you later that night- then you probably do not want to do business with him.

Reactions: beardohio

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
This is why Rick is amazing. This is good information right here. Thanks!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Rick. So you don't advise new OEM wheels then?

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
(crkdslider- Thank you! I learn from all and happy to contribute. :D)

You can't go wrong with new Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) wheels. But since they are new- they are MONEY! Used OEM wheels are a little less expensive.

Lots of 9th Gen Accord owners dumping their 17s for 18s, and 18s for 19s. Avoid the "sport model" wheels as they are the most stolen wheel in the northeast right now. Slightly used sets sell for $1,800!!! Some new owners tell their dealer that before they take delivery of their new 2014 Accord, they want to upgrade to 18" wheels. Well, the dealer charges them an extra $1,000 and then re-sells the 17" stock wheels- and they pocket the profit.

As for Acura wheels, lots of guys dump their 17s for 18s.

I love the TL wheels....if you are patient and diligent, you will find a nice used set of OEM Acura TL wheels in 17" size for anywhere from $250-$400.

You can set up alert notifications for certain ads on Craigslist. It will take time but you will get what you want.

I put Acura RSX 16" wheels on my Accord....You will never go wrong with genuine Enkei wheels- they make them for Honda and Acura.

Here is a pic of my buddy's silver 6-6 speed with Acura TL wheels and my graphite pearl with Acura RSX wheels.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

You can't go wrong with new Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) wheels. But since they are new- they are MONEY! Used OEM wheels are a little less expensive.

Lots of 9th Gen Accord owners dumping their 17s for 18s, and 18s for 19s. Avoid the "sport model" wheels as they are the most stolen wheel in the northeast right now. Slightly used sets sell for $1,800!!! Some new owners tell their dealer that before they take delivery of their new 2014 Accord, they want to upgrade to 18" wheels. Well, the dealer charges them an extra $1,000 and then re-sells the 17" stock wheels- and they pocket the profit.

I love the TL wheels....if you are patient and diligent, you will find a nice used set of OEM Acura TL wheels in 17" size for anywhere from $250-$400.

You can set up alert notifications for certain ads on Craigslist. It will take time but you will get what you want.

I put Acura RSX 16" wheels on my Accord....You will never go wrong with genuine Enkei wheels- they make them for Honda and Acura.

Here is a pic of my buddy's silver 6-6 speed with Acura wheels and my graphite pearl with Acura RSX wheels.

I've debated how those wheels would look on my car. I think I would want to move up to 18" though.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
I've debated how those wheels would look on my car. I think I would want to move up to 18" though.
If you are after looks, then I assume you mean to minimize the fender gap by going larger rims to achieve overall a larger diameter tire/rim combination.

Keep in mind that will cause you loss of acceleration performance since your drivetrain will now have to overcome a larger "moment arm" at any RPM, and the larger diameter rims will likely be heavier unless you purchase light weight forged rims.

As well your "unsprung weight" will increase too, making more work for the shocks and springs.

As long as you know this going in.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
Yes, "a picture is worth a thousand words," but what words are the pictures telling you? I can tell you with certainty that the pictures DreaminAccord posted aren't telling you under what conditions those wheels broke.
Accord_Rules: Sorry if my OP w/ the pics wasn't clear - those wheels pictured are Rota REPLICAS not actual wheels made by Rota. Yes, as NGH pointed out in his pics, any (A/M or OEM) wheel can crack/break depending on the circumstances. I personally feel more safe going with OEM quality as you have no idea what Chinese plant those replicas are casted in...but in most cases, replica wheels are made from the same cast as OEM and with the same materials, following the same strict OEM specs and not being a problem; especially if they're being used as a DD and not tracked. It basically just comes down to buyer's choice.

The reason why I advised to stick with OEM is because CL is flooded all the time with OEM Enkei Honda / Acura 15's - 18's and unless they are wrapped in brand new tires (which is the cost the seller is trying to get back the most) - you can find a good conditioned set for $250-500 like Rick said :thmsup:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If you are after looks, then I assume you mean to minimize the fender gap by going larger rims to achieve overall a larger diameter tire/rim combination.

Keep in mind that will cause you loss of acceleration performance since your drivetrain will now have to overcome a larger "moment arm" at any RPM, and the larger diameter rims will likely be heavier unless you purchase light weight forged rims.

As well your "unsprung weight" will increase too, making more work for the shocks and springs.

As long as you know this going in.
Although what you said may not be what I had thought of, this is good to know. I hadn't of thought if that at all. I am still planning on going lower soon. Perhaps I will just stick with my 17's.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Accord_Rules: Sorry if my OP w/ the pics wasn't clear - those wheels pictured are Rota REPLICAS not actual wheels made by Rota. Yes, as NGH pointed out in his pics, any (A/M or OEM) wheel can crack/break depending on the circumstances. I personally feel more safe going with OEM quality as you have no idea what Chinese plant those replicas are casted in...but in most cases, replica wheels are made from the same cast as OEM and with the same materials, following the same strict OEM specs and not being a problem; especially if they're being used as a DD and not tracked. It basically just comes down to buyer's choice.

The reason why I advised to stick with OEM is because CL is flooded all the time with OEM Enkei Honda / Acura 15's - 18's and unless they are wrapped in brand new tires (which is the cost the seller is trying to get back the most) - you can find a good conditioned set for $250-500 like Rick said :thmsup:
Thank you Ben. I'll be on the look-out for OEM used wheels. But will start saving money just in case if I feel like buying new OEM wheels :thmsup:! I think I'm in love with those Acura 5-spoke OEM 17 inch wheels. Thought of going for 18, but the weight increase and the consequent decrease in acceleration is not what I would want after spending nearly 1000 dollars.

I always feel comfortable with OEM stuff for everything. But I just let the miser in me dominate for a while when I thought of buying those replicas. They may be good ones. I wouldn't know. So, I don't want to be a guinea pig at 70 MPH Freeway speeds :yes:!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Here is a pic of my buddy's silver 6-6 speed with Acura TL wheels and my graphite pearl with Acura RSX wheels................
Thanks a lot Rick. I'll wait for OEM used wheels. Those RSX wheels look nice on your car :yes:. And those TLs, well I think I'm in love with them. Can't wait to have them on my car.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
Thank you Ben. I'll be on the look-out for OEM used wheels. But will start saving money just in case if I feel like buying new OEM wheels :thmsup:! I think I'm in love with those Acura 5-spoke OEM 17 inch wheels. Thought of going for 18, but the weight increase and the consequent decrease in acceleration is not what I would want after spending nearly 1000 dollars.

I always feel comfortable with OEM stuff for everything. But I just let the miser in me dominate for a while when I thought of buying those replicas. They may be good ones. I wouldn't know. So, I don't want to be a guinea pig at 70 MPH Freeway speeds :yes:!
Sounds like a good plan :) I sold my OEM 17's and went with the 18" 10-spokes off of a 2009 EX-L V6 Coupe w/ 235/45R18 Continental DWS tires. The wheels weigh 27lb each (w/o tires), which yea, they are a little heavier than my 17's but honestly I have not realized any real difference (decrease) in acceleration performance and do not regret the "upgrade" at all as I love the wheels - so like with anything... it comes down to weighing PROS vs CONS ;)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts