Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm a first year uni student and I am looking for a new car. I checked off the is250 which I fell in love with due to the carbon buildup issue, and the 350 for gas, and I like the 1st Gen tsx but I really like the 8th gen accord coupe. It has a nice design and when modified can look exceptionally well done. I'm looking to buy within the 2008-9 range but I read many more negative reviews that I'd like on edmunds saying how the car goes through brakes like nothing, has tons of road noise, burns oil, and has lots of rattling to be heard. I love the car, but these reviews deter me. My family has a 2014 crv and that's smooth and runs well so that's what I'd expect from another Honda vehicle. The funny thing is, I believe the tsx has the same k24z3 engine so idk how this car can have so many "defects". To any owners of the 8g accord, I'd love your input on your experience with the car. is it a smart buy?

Unfortunately that is the year of vehicle I can afford. I test drove a 2011 inline 4 5 spd and I love it. So, thanks and sorry this is so long. Kinda new.

·
Registered
254 Posts
ive had my 2011 4cy EXL for 2 months now (as of yesterday) and couldnt love it anymore than Im loving it right now. The car is just so smooth to drive. I have it on summer tires right now, as well as a strut bar on the front chasis.

The only thing is that (people who warned me are right), it lacks power with only 190hp (taking it youre considering the 4cy) which I have. Kinda brings back flashbacks of my civic where I have to gun it to pass someone lol. But 190hp is still good enough for me, the gas savings every year is the more important factor for me. Im blown away by the milage Ive been getting on this (mind you most of my driving is highway/freeway), and I dont drive like a maniac, for the most part I drive like a grandma...but still....700+km per tank is impressive for such a big coupe.

Im just in love with the interior, not just in terms of space but comfort and all the compartments. First car Ive owned with leather and I couldnt see myself going back to fabric interiors. Leather is just so nice to have and really makes the interior look luxurious.

I couldnt see myself going back to a smaller coupe again. Its a long car and it took me a good week to get adjusted driving it in terms of parking it and manuevering in tight spots (coming from a small civic), but I wouldnt go back to a civic.

Ive already put a lot of money (too much IMO, but its stopping now) into the car on upgrades and mods. But considering I plan on keeping the car for 7+ years, its worth it forsure...it pays off in the long run.

In exact order of what Ive done to the car.

2 way Compustar remote starter - $550 installed
Kumo Summer Tires - $1100 installed
18" package - Film on headlights, hood, fenders, mirrors - $300 installed
Windshield, wiper blades and rain deflecting coating - $260 installed
18% Scorpion tint - $160 installed
6000K Leds bulbs for all interior, trunk and plate - $32 installed
6000K HID 35W - $150 installed
Ebay fog lamps with 6000K LED fog kit - $480 installed
Pioneer double din with Metra dash kit - $620 installed
Backup cam - $245 installed
Alpine Type R speakers - $360 installed
Lukas 7950WD, 2 channel - front and rear dashcams with Sony EXMOR lens - $540 installed

If there is one that I could do without, it would be the backup cam. I like it, its really nice to have but Ive found that I almost never look at it when backing up lol. Maybe Im just too use to turning my body around and looking physically through the back glass. If I could re-do it, I probably would rather have the $245 cash in my pocket right now. The rear dashcam is much more important and useful to me.
Who knows, maybe later on I will start to use the backup cam more as I get used to it.

·
Yes, I'm a girl.
1,649 Posts
I've had mine since the first week of 2015 and like it a lot so far. Had it checked over my 2 mechanics and had zero issues. Issues with the brakes were fixed long ago with a redesign of the pads.

·
Day Walker
39 Posts
The car does have it's faults, but out of all the issues it has (none of which are serious), overall it's a good car. Great fuel economy, comfortable and roomy, decent sound system. Burning oil is no biggie for me. I own an RX8 so frequently checking oil is second nature. Brakes are easy to change and they are not expensive. I don't help matters as I use the E-brake constantly while driving so I kind of exasperate the problem. Everything for this car is cheap, that's why I love it! Rattles...I have one, but nothing turning the radio up just a wee bit can' fix. I would really like to pin it down one day though lol. More important it is dependable and will last you if you take care of it. Get the inline 4 unless you have the skills or money to pay for periodic timing belt replacements. I would have gotten a V6, but I hate engines that use timing belts. Just an unnecessary piece of maintenance IMO.

·
Registered
254 Posts
^ Ya timing belt! A big reason why i was turned off by the v6! These are very expensive jobs as i had to get two done on my old car and paid through the rear end.

Would never buy a car with a timing belt again. If i can avoid it i will.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the responses so far. I'm pretty much gonna buy one anyways, because my faith in honda is high LOL. Those are some expensive mods you made, Tyson. You must love you car. And man, 700 km a tank? thats sick! My brother's subbie with a 2.5 gets around 500. My previous car was a 2002 Celica with no mechanical issues and amazing on gas so I'm glad to know i'm not really sacrificing anything.

I'm not too concerned with the mechanics of the car unless there were major issues, so thank you for clarifying that there aren't. Plus my dad is a mechanic so worst comes worst it won't cost anything for labour and such.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The replacement of the timing belt and water pump isn't that bad. You can search for dealers that will do the work for $600. Maintenance is cheap on these. 4 bangers can have vtc actuator and timing chain issues. Both the 4 and the 6 have a history of significant oil burning. But the v6 manual is known to be the most solid of the 8th gen accords.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Those are some expensive mods you made, Tyson. You must love you car
Yes I love it but most imporantly I always keep my cars for as long as I can. I would have still kept my old civic if it wasnt for me wanting a bigger car with more interior space. The thing ran so well, and aside from a couple rattles here and there the thing was so reliable.

Yes these are expensive mods (some were great deals, tint, HIDs [considering the quality of this set], windshield) and some were a lot more than I was wanting to spend but in the long run I feel I was better off going with the more expensive options for some of them (dashcam, remote starter, LED fog kit) than going with the cheaper option and potentially regretting it, then only to pay more down the road to get it upgraded.

I could never go back to a 1 way remote starter, I was really hesistant on whether the extra $100 was worth it for the 2 way remote and it sure was! Its not so much the screen on the remote but the fact it beeps from the remote itself when I lock, unlock, and start my car. I cant tell you how convenient it is! Just the fact that I can start my car, lock or unlock my car without even having my car in my sight and know 100% forsure whether it was done is what makes a 2 way remote starter worth its full value IMO. Could I live without the screen? Of course, but not the beep confirmation you receive back from the car after you press a button. I also find that because I dont wear a watch ever, I use the remote at times to check the time whenever I dont have my phone with me. Also the range on it is crazy. Im a 2 way user for the rest of my life.

I learned my lesson on my old civic when I got some guy off Kijijii to install a cheapo black widow alarm/remote starter for $250 installed and the thing struggled to work after a year. At the time I thought I was getting a steal for only $250. Well you get what you pay for. I didnt see this at the time but I do truly believe it now. There was no warranty support from him (he pretty much told me I had to pay him for a new kit) and I practically hated using this POS for the remaining 4 years of owning the car. It got real old fast of having to stand literally outside my driver door each time to remote start my car because the range was completely shot and in the -30 winters, ya not very pleasant as you can imagine. I knew I would just wait until I got a new car before putting in a real competant system in. Well the new remote starter was done at a reputatable professional shop with a lifetime warranty. Prior to the install I did my fair share of research on where to go.

Lesson learned: Pay more for better and cleaner install with lifetime warranty from a legit installer.

Same with the dashcam, was only planning on spending $100, maybe $150 on a cheapo front only cam. But the more I looked into it, researched and shopped, the more I saw the worth in having a 2 channel, paying more for parking mode, hardwiring it, a better quality lens, features like g-shock, GPS, and a larger memory card capacity. It was expensive, and I was really hesistant on pulling the trigger but I couldnt go back. Dashcam to me, I dont see it as a mod or upgrade but rather cheap insurance. Factor that in to how long Im keeping the car for and I saw the value. It just gives you incredible piece of mind for if something ever happens. Ive wanted one for about 3 years now but like the remote starter, felt it was better to hold off til I got a new car. I truly do believe that you get what you pay for when it comes to dashcams just because the market is so flooded today with no name brands and rebranded devices.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,951 Posts
NOT Bad!

I have a V6 sedan per below, with 96k miles. Road noise, yeah. Rattles, no. Oil consumption, no. Brake issues, no. Killer front end & steering. Great car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And man, 700 km a tank? thats sick!
700 km is 435 miles. And ~400 miles/tank is fairly normal across a wide variety of cars and light trucks.
It's good gas mileage to the tank but a lot of vehicles I know of don't perform as well as they say they do. Such as the IS250. lots of owners average 550km to the tank. Plus here in Canada the winter reduces the mileage. Anyways I'm just happy with that number LOL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts