Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm new here to the Drive Accord forums. I'm currently in the market for a 7th gen Accord. I recently came across an '06 EX-L V6 w/ Nav and 144K miles on the engine/tranny and body.
Before going all out and making the purchase, I came here to see what I should be prepared for and I'm kind of hesitant on buying it now. Granted, every vehicle (especially used) will come with its own problems down the road. No car is perfect, but the big deal breaker currently is this #5 spark plug issue I've been reading in the stickied thread.

I saw the car in person yesterday and did the basic used car check up to the best of my knowledge, but I'm no mechanic. No CELs of any kind, tranny and oil fluids looked okay. Owner mentioned doing just basic maintenance (i.e. oil changes). This means I'll probably need to come out of pocket and do a basic tune-up since that's all my budget allows at the moment if I jump the gun on it. A/C system was replaced last year, too, I saw the paperwork for it.

Other than the typical light scratches for a 10+ year car the title is clean and clear and Carfax shows no accidents. The only servicing Carfax shows is oil changes and A/C work. Should I knock the price for a basic tune up and see if the owner will come down on price a bit? It's only $4.7K which is a good bargain, but I think I can get her to come down a few hundred so I can pocket some money for a tune-up. My budget is $5K.

What would be the best place to start @ 145Kish in terms of tuning the J-series up? Aside from spark plugs, cap / rotor, etc.? I was thinking the basics + an immediate tranny flush. Anyone recommend particular spark plugs which will last? I will be double-checking this #5 spark plug issue before purchase and make sure it's neither loose or anything.

·
7th Gear
1,444 Posts
Budget in a timing belt service, as if it was done at 80k miles, it will be due very soon.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
That's timing belt kit - water pump included, (Aisin on Amazon $188) call around for cost to do the job, find someplace that will let you bring your own parts if you are not going to DIY. NGK iridium or Denso iridium spark plugs.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Not to buy (only because I'm biased toward 4 cylinders)

·
Don't drink and drive
4,571 Posts
Don't buy into the "5th spark plug issue" fear. After 13 years, my 5th spark plug is still nice and tight. Never an issue. Only a very small percentage is affected. If the car is still running, then the spark plug issue must be ok. What you can do now is get a long 5/8" socked, and check the 5th spark plug if you're worried. It's the middle front plug. A timing belt job can cost around 500-1000. If you buy the kit and have a mechanic install it, it'll be cheaper. It cost me $532 doing it that way. Tell the seller about the timing belt and bring down the price a bit.

The J engines were some of the best Honda ever made. No car is perfect, and you will always find flaws, but the J engines rarely consume oil. i4s on the other hand, seem to be a little more thirsty. I can go 10k miles on an oil change without adding any oil. NKG spark plugs are some of the best and they easily go over 100k miles.

The 06-07 V6 Accords are very very good. Very little issues with them, and maintenance is minimal. If a 4 cylinder was abused, problems can be a nightmare.

·
Roll Tide!
6,794 Posts
1) Don't buy into the "5th spark plug issue" fear. After 13 years, my 5th spark plug is still nice and tight. Never an issue. 2) If a 4 cylinder was abused, problems can be a nightmare.
1) Ditto.
2) Unless you are @chris918 and have to do repairs every weekend. Since he doesn't abuse his car because it is allegedly "meticulously maintained", he just has a POS i4.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't buy into the "5th spark plug issue" fear. After 13 years, my 5th spark plug is still nice and tight. Never an issue. Only a very small percentage is affected. If the car is still running, then the spark plug issue must be ok. What you can do now is get a long 5/8" socked, and check the 5th spark plug if you're worried. It's the middle front plug. A timing belt job can cost around 500-1000. If you buy the kit and have a mechanic install it, it'll be cheaper. It cost me $532 doing it that way. Tell the seller about the timing belt and bring down the price a bit.

The J engines were some of the best Honda ever made. No car is perfect, and you will always find flaws, but the J engines rarely consume oil. i4s on the other hand, seem to be a little more thirsty. I can go 10k miles on an oil change without adding any oil. NKG spark plugs are some of the best and they easily go over 100k miles.

The 06-07 V6 Accords are very very good. Very little issues with them, and maintenance is minimal. If a 4 cylinder was abused, problems can be a nightmare.
$532 w/ the timing belt kit you bought yourself or just labor alone? I don't mind shelling out that much w/ the kit knowing it's for the long haul. I'll be sure to double-check that spark plug in the middle front you're talking about. If it checks out I'm looking to buy this as soon as tomorrow. Found the Aisin TKH-002 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump. I'll be sure to order this after purchase.

·
Don't drink and drive
4,571 Posts
$532 w/ the timing belt kit you bought yourself or just labor alone? I don't mind shelling out that much w/ the kit knowing it's for the long haul. I'll be sure to double-check that spark plug in the middle front you're talking about. If it checks out I'm looking to buy this as soon as tomorrow. Found the Aisin TKH-002 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump. I'll be sure to order this after purchase.
I paid $200 for the timing belt kit and $312 for the labor. I got a great Honda mechanic that charges half the price on most jobs. Where do you live? If you're close, you could drive it here and get the job done. A timing belt job every 100k miles is worthwhile the fun you're getting from a V6.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
If you have an older car like this, you just have to figure in a $100 or $500 maintenance or repair now and then is your car payment.
Or a set of 4 tires, which is what I am looking at for north of $500. Hopefully you do not also have a debt payment on the car. :dunno:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts