Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning to change the engine air filter in my '13 Accord 4cyl and was unable to locate a tool that fits the small bolt holding the metal band around the top air tube. Not sure I can lift the filter cover high enough without loosening that band so the tube can be pulled off - or at least be able to turn it.

Has anyone changed the air filter and encountered this issue? Anyone know what tool is needed?

Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
Flat head screwdriver is ur friend. Use it to pop off the metal bands holding the top section of the air filter case.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flat head screwdriver is ur friend. Use it to pop off the metal bands holding the top section of the air filter case.
Thank you for the response. Popping off the spring clips are no problem - what I want to do is loosen the round metal band that holds the upper air tube - just above the air filter case. The band screw (or small bolt) is some odd OEM part that defies common tools.

Can you tell me what kind of tool that is?

Thanks

·
Registered
884 Posts
You don't need to remove the clamp though.

·
Banned
784 Posts
I was planning to change the engine air filter in my '13 Accord 4cyl and was unable to locate a tool that fits the small bolt holding the metal band around the top air tube. Not sure I can lift the filter cover high enough without loosening that band so the tube can be pulled off - or at least be able to turn it.

Has anyone changed the air filter and encountered this issue? Anyone know what tool is needed?

Thanks
No tool needed but it is a bit tight so you will have to wiggle it around to separate the filter housing. If your engine filter is dirty, your cabin filter is also very dirty so change them at the same time or maybe change the cabin filter more frequently. The cabin filter change requires no tool. They are very easy.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Don't know why your question isn't being answered. On my '13 sedan, there is a hose-clamp-esque band that is what I assume you are talking about loosening. It seems like a regular phillip's head screwdriver will do the trick. Last time I changed an air filter (on a different car) it also required loosening that band.

Here is a pic.

·
Banned
251 Posts
Don't know why your question isn't being answered. On my '13 sedan, there is a hose-clamp-esque band that is what I assume you are talking about loosening. It seems like a regular phillip's head screwdriver will do the trick. Last time I changed an air filter (on a different car) it also required loosening that band.

Here is a pic.
Dont know why people have such a low intelligence level. That thing is replaceable in 5 darn minutes. NO SCREWDRIVERS, NO NOTHING.
I answered the question in the first post. You can either do it the hard way or easy way, you chose the hard way.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hahahahaha!

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,067 Posts
My intake really sucks some air.

Halleleuja no more ****

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts
Finally, I can say suck on this forum lol

Maybe "suck" was too often used inappropriately. I always wondered why "suck" was censored and not "****" lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all who responded to the original question. It's true, as one pointed out, the metal band does not (have to be removed) in order to change out the engine air filter, however there are those of us who may like to completely remove the air cleaner cover, and check for damage and as well as vacuuming out the lower section.

Is it necessary? I like to think property worth owning is property worth caring for - so for the one who may think only people with (lower intelligence) would be concerned - hopefully I'll never have to own anything they may have serviced.

Thanks again!

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,338 Posts

Thanks
Thanks to all who responded to the original question. It's true, as one pointed out, the metal band does not (have to be removed) in order to change out the engine air filter, however there are those of us who may like to completely remove the air cleaner cover, and check for damage and as well as vacuuming out the lower section.

Is it necessary? I like to think property worth owning is property worth caring for - so for the one who may think only people with (lower intelligence) would be concerned - hopefully I'll never have to own anything they may have serviced.

Thanks again!
I'll help ya out here. I went out to the garage and played with this. Here is what I found you can use to loosen that clamp:

* Standard Phillips screw driver. It fits but there is not much meat around it.
* 5.5mm socket on a 1/4" drive ratchet. A 5mm is too small, 6mm too big.

Cheers!

Jay

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll help ya out here. I went out to the garage and played with this. Here is what I found you can use to loosen that clamp:

* Standard Phillips screw driver. It fits but there is not much meat around it.
* 5.5mm socket on a 1/4" drive ratchet. A 5mm is too small, 6mm too big.

Cheers!

Jay
Hi, Jay,
Well thank you. I'll see if I can locate a 5.5mm socket - didn't know that size existed. I tried everything in my garage (quite a bit of stuff) and not one thing fit that bolt head. Even the Phillips, as you, said didn't have much to bite and I didn't want to strip out the thing.
Lee

1 - 20 of 27 Posts