Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2017, Accord, 2.4 Ex-L
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, hope everyone is safe and well.
Since my car takes 4.4 ltr of oil and most of the commercial oils (including Honda) comes in 4 ltr package. I was wondering if it's possible to top the remaining 0.4 ltr with a different brand.
I switched to 5w30 since the temperature here doesn't go below 15c (60F) during the year and it reaches 48c (118.4F) during the summer. + I have 60,000km (38000 miles) on the odometer.

So can I add another brand of Full Synthetic 5w30 to my OEM oil?

Edit: So I wanted to place your answers here.

- According to your answers, Mixing two brands is okay.
  • Some of you said I should stick with the suggested 0w20 to maintain fuel efficiency and low emissions.
  • Few said I can use the 5w30 since I live in a place with 3 summer seasons (United Arab Emirates).
Thanks, everyone :)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Go by what's recommended in your owners manual.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it supposed to be 0w20 ??

·
Registered
2017, Accord, 2.4 Ex-L
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go by what's recommended in your owners manual.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it supposed to be 0w20 ??
Thats correct, 0w20 is what recommended, but I cant find Honda 0w20. all I can find is 5w30

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
It doesn't have to be Honda branded oil, any respective brand should do. Mobile1 for example, there are many other brands to choose from. I ran Schaeffer's oil at one point.

·
Registered
2017, Accord, 2.4 Ex-L
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't have to be Honda branded oil, any respective brand should do. Mobile1 for example, there are many other brands to choose from. I ran Schaeffer's oil at one point.
I can get Castrol oil, but can I go back into using 0w20 after having 5w30 for 2 months? I drive 3500 km / 2180 miles per month and the car needs an oil change

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
325 Posts
I switched to 5w30 since the temperature here doesn't go below 15c (60F) during the year and it reaches 48c (118.4F) during the summer. + I have 60,000km (38000 miles) on the odometer.
These two factors shouldn’t be the reason of switching oil viscosity to 5W30. It will make your engine feel worse throughout the time it stays in your oil pan.

I strongly recommend you do another oil change with any big brand 0W20 full synthetic as soon as possible...No need to go for Honda brand at all, but viscosity matters

·
Registered
2017, Accord, 2.4 Ex-L
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These two factors shouldn’t be the reason of switching oil viscosity to 5W30. It will make your engine feel worse throughout the time it stays in your oil pan.

I strongly recommend you do another oil change with any big brand 0W20 full synthetic as soon as possible...No need to go for Honda brand at all, but viscosity matters
what about mixing two brands, incase I couldn't find 1 ltr bottle?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Uh...what??
Can you explain to me this theory of yours about a machine having feelings??

Reactions: Rygrego

·
MT or death
404 Posts
what about mixing two brands, incase I couldn't find 1 ltr bottle?
Yes, you can mix two brands. There's no evidence anywhere that mixing brands has ever harmed an engine.

·
07 Sdn
339 Posts
Uh...what??
LOL ditto :D
I believe 5w30 is designated as severe duty oil for these cars. Its fine.
In fact Australia designates 5w40 for this engine. All markets outside the US and Canada use 5w-30 believe it or not.
The US designations are to meet CAFE standards and thats it. At a risk of starting another oil thread (I know, too late) its been beaten to death.

Mix away OP and go with 5w30 if it makes you feel better, it wont harm anything.

Excuse me while I put my flame suit on. I know how bad this gets, I will not be responding beyond this lol :D

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
325 Posts
Uh...what??

In terms of fuel economy I think. Higher viscosity means lower mpg number, isn’t it?

Though, I admit that a lot people just like to go against what’s recommended by the manufacturer. It’s their car anyway so I probably shouldn’t comment on it.

A quick question: should the OP’s car engine ever failed during this period with his 5W30 (although the reason of failure isn’t necessarily the oil), will Honda refuse to honor engine warranty because they test out the oil viscosity?

·
MT or death
404 Posts
In terms of fuel economy I think. Higher viscosity means lower mpg number, isn’t it?

Though, I admit that a lot people just like to go against what’s recommended by the manufacturer. It’s their car anyway so I probably shouldn’t comment on it.

A quick question: should the OP’s car engine ever failed during this period with his 5W30 (although the reason of failure isn’t necessarily the oil), will Honda refuse to honor engine warranty because they test out the oil viscosity?
If Honda really wanted to play hardball, they certainly could pull an oil sample and deny the warranty claim based on it. Right or wrong, or realistic or not, they have a much larger legal fund than any of us.

For what it's worth, I can't imagine 5w30 would have any negative effect other than a fraction of an mpg, but for the warranty period it's silly not to play by the book. Cars are expensive.

·
Registered
2017, Accord, 2.4 Ex-L
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

As I said, my car has been running on 5w30 for 2 months. No sounds, vibrations, or issues.

For what it's worth, I can't imagine 5w30 would have any negative effect other than a fraction of an mpg, but for the warranty period it's silly not to play by the book. Cars are expensive.
That is true, my MPG went from 7.5~8 l/100km to 9~10 l/100km

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, hope everyone is safe and well.
Since my car takes 4.4 ltr of oil and most of the commercial oils (including Honda) comes in 4 ltr package. I was wondering if it's possible to top the remaining 0.4 ltr with a different brand.

So can I add another brand of Full Synthetic 5w30 to my OEM oil?
No problem.

Thats correct, 0w20 is what recommended, but I cant find Honda 0w20. all I can find is 5w30
It's fine.

Engines have no feelings. 0W20 is for CAFE standards. There is no harm using 5W30.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts

None of what you've hypothesised is a concern.
Oh, and you never answered my question.

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
325 Posts
As I said, my car has been running on 5w30 for 2 months. No sounds, vibrations, or issues.

That is true, my MPG went from 7.5~8 l/100km to 9~10 l/100km
It's good to learn your experience.

My whole point is, As @AccorDokken said, it might be wiser to go back as written in the Owner's Manual within your Accord warranty period.

Your 2017 Honda Accord has 5yr/60k miles powertrain warranty, so it should still be in the warranty period now. For this solo factor alone, it's better to stay with 0W20.

·
Don't drink and drive
4,571 Posts
Mixing same weight oil is not a problem. The thing that will change is the additive package, which is ok too. Plenty of people do it on BITOG when they have leftovers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is a federal warning...never mixup oil brands. If you cant find a 1 ltr can then buy another 4 ltr and top up with it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts