Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I have a 2019 Hybrid touring which has 54,000 miles on it.

I found the drain plug torque specs on the owner’s manual, but no oil filter.

Does anyone knows the torque specs for the Honda genuine oil filter?
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Automotive design

Thanks,

Ryan.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Almost every filter I've seen has instructions on the filter body to tighten until gasket makes good contact, then 3/4 turn more. It's sometimes real effort to get that last 3/4 turn.

I've been doing that for decades and decades on easily over a dozen personally owned vehicles in my lifetime of all different makes and models ... with no leaks.

OF

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have never ever known the torque specs on an engine filter for all my personal cars I have done an oil change on myself. I have done an oil change over 20 times now in total for all the cars I have owned. None has ever leaked oil because of not tightening the oil filter well.

So, you do not necessarily need to know to tighten it well enough to form a good seal. Just tighten it reasonably enough. Good to go.

I have done the oil change on my Accord over 5 times now. Never a leak. Even when I went to over 13,000 miles before doing an oil change.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I never knew there even were torque specs, but for just about everything, hand-tighten has been sufficient. I'm probably more gentle with oil filters only because they're a bear to remove. The only part that I'll torque to spec is a lug nut because the consequences of a loose oil filter cost me money, the consequences of loose lug nuts are a bit more severe

·
Elvira
3,965 Posts
So if you have the OEM Honda filter the directions specifically state right on the filter housing...

1 oil gasket
2 clean seating area (guessing the engine not our seating area, that would be silly ! )
3 screw until gasket contact (I'm leaving THAT to your imagination)
4 torque to 10-14 Nm OR 3/4 turn with tool
5 start engine and look for leaks.

There are little triangles at the 0°, 90°, 180° and 270° around the circumference of the oil filter can so you line up the single triangle with something and twist on till you see the three triangles in that same spot and you have it at 3/4 turn.

Easy, peasy !

And now you know !

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
133 Posts
...There are little triangles at the 0°, 90°, 180° and 270° around the circumference of the oil filter can so you line up the single triangle with something and twist on till you see the three triangles in that same spot and you have it at 3/4 turn....
... and the manufacturers who print successive 90° index marks on their oil filters get a big thumbs up from me for that major convenience.

OF

·
Elvira
3,965 Posts
Well just realized the OP had the answer all along. What's with that anyway ?

Anywho, the 30 lbf-ft (40 Nm) torque appears to be what is required for your MY.

Seems rather higher than I would expect, to tell you the truth, (as opposed to what is printed on the Honda filter) but that's that. My torque value is for the 15400-PLM-A02 filter

But that's determined by the screw thread and diameter of the oil inlet hole on the filter.

Anyone care to measure the diameter of a 10th gen hybrid oil filter ? TIA

·
DA since 1st car
07V6 EX-L Auto
1,775 Posts
Well just realized the OP had the answer all along. What's with that anyway ?
Anywho, the 30 lbf-ft (40 Nm) torque appears to be what is required for your MY....
The 30ft-lb is for the drain plug.
You were right. 12Nm or 3/4 turn for oil filter. I always tighten with bare hand, until I couldn't turn it anymore. Based on the torque needed to take if off, that's already over-tightened.

I doulbt any filter could survive 30ft-lb without deforming.

·
Elvira
3,965 Posts
The 30ft-lb is for the drain plug.
You were right. 12Nm or 3/4 turn for oil filter. I always tighten with bare hand, until I couldn't turn it anymore. Based on the torque needed to take if off, that's already over-tightened.

I doulbt any filter could survive 30ft-lb without deforming.
That makes total sense.

·
Super Moderator
3,617 Posts
Honda's oil filters (oem) are designed to positive stop when tightened properly. 16 ft-lb with a cap style "wrench" on it. If you put it on by hand, then use a small strap style oil filter wrench you'll feel it stop. Most aftermarket filters do not do this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts