Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I was rear ended in my 2014 LX. Based on my photos from the scene, the insurance company is already assuming a total loss. Since I financed it until forever, I still have about $2500 left on my car loan. I'm a little concerned about what I'll even have left after the payout to use toward a replacement, and it sucks because I'm thinking all I will be able to afford is a significantly older vehicle unless I decide to finance AGAIN, and I was so excited to finally be finished with payments. I JUST rolled over 150,000 miles, so that doesn't help much. Anyway, moving forward, I'm not sure what my best options are. I can continue to make payments no problem, so a new car wouldn't be the worst decision.

What I'm looking for is a 2016 or newer with a manual transmission and under 50k miles. If I'm going to be spending more money out of pocket, I need more longevity to show for it. I did come across a 2017 Sport with like 40k miles on it for about $16k, otherwise I've seen one or two 2019 Sports for about $25k. I'd like some input from anyone who upgraded from a 2016/17 to a 10th gen. Has anyone with an early 2018 encountered any issues with the turbo? What is the expected lifespan of something like this? I was spoiled from my 2014, having cost me about $2000 total for all wear items (brake pads, rotors, two sets of tires) and fluid changes in 5 years/150k miles. The 9th gen is more comforting in that the naturally aspirated motor is proven, so am I being a baby about being afraid of a turbo failure?

Any and all input is appreciated on some level

Also, this post is worthless without pics (AND VIDEO!)

Attachments

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,670 Posts
GOOD LORD, that video. Did you go to the hospital afterward? Make sure you see a doctor and report any pain you have, even if it's a little. That was a nasty hit.

As for the car, I don't think your worries are unfounded about the turbo. I wouldn't buy one lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
First off, sorry for your loss. It's a bummer, especially being so close to having it paid. I plan to pay mine off before years end and I have thought about what would happen if it were wrecked etc.

Like you, part of the reason I purchased a 9th gen was because the reliability of the k series was pretty well established and I plan to keep the car "forever" if I can.

I don't know much about the 10th gens, there may not be enough high mileage drivers to determine the overall reliability of the turbos. That said, you might want to post this in the 10th gen forum, you'll get more visibility from those owners.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Last week I was rear ended in my 2014 LX. Based on my photos from the scene, the insurance company is already assuming a total loss. Since I financed it until forever, I still have about $2500 left on my car loan. I'm a little concerned about what I'll even have left after the payout to use toward a replacement, and it sucks because I'm thinking all I will be able to afford is a significantly older vehicle unless I decide to finance AGAIN, and I was so excited to finally be finished with payments. I JUST rolled over 150,000 miles, so that doesn't help much. Anyway, moving forward, I'm not sure what my best options are. I can continue to make payments no problem, so a new car wouldn't be the worst decision.

What I'm looking for is a 2016 or newer with a manual transmission and under 50k miles. If I'm going to be spending more money out of pocket, I need more longevity to show for it. I did come across a 2017 Sport with like 40k miles on it for about $16k, otherwise I've seen one or two 2019 Sports for about $25k. I'd like some input from anyone who upgraded from a 2016/17 to a 10th gen. Has anyone with an early 2018 encountered any issues with the turbo? What is the expected lifespan of something like this? I was spoiled from my 2014, having cost me about $2000 total for all wear items (brake pads, rotors, two sets of tires) and fluid changes in 5 years/150k miles. The 9th gen is more comforting in that the naturally aspirated motor is proven, so am I being a baby about being afraid of a turbo failure?

Any and all input is appreciated on some level

Also, this post is worthless without pics (AND VIDEO!)

Man, that is really ugly. I'm not an insurance claim guy and don't know anything about that but I would assume it's a total. I hope you weren't hurt. I've been rear ended twice in mine to the tune of $500 each time, i.e. not very badly, but it still felt like quite a jolt. Can't imagine what yours felt like.

I kinda feel the same way you do about turbos. Nice toys but I regard them as not necessary on Accords. Also, given the record of oil consumption on many of the 9th gen Accords, the tendency of many owners to not pay attention to their oil level, and the lack of a long history on the 10th, I would be leery. Oil level is very critical on turbo cars, or so I have heard. Good luck.

Edit: Forgot to watch the video. Wow! You were waiting to turn left, correct? Hope the other driver gets what he deserves. (I'm pretty vindictive that way.)

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,670 Posts
I hope you weren't hurt. I've been rear ended twice in mine to the tune of $500 each time, i.e. not very badly, but it still felt like quite a jolt.
I was in the front passenger seat in my ex's 2007 Civic when we were rear-ended at a stop sign. Probably about a 10 MPH impact. IIRC, it was a green Pontiac Sunfire that hit us. It felt like someone in the back seat area kicking the back of my seat as hard as they possibly could with both feet. We all walked away, but holy crap did it scare us.

I kinda feel the same way you do about turbos. Nice toys but I regard them as not necessary on Accords. Also, given the record of oil consumption on many of the 9th gen Accords, the tendency of many owners to not pay attention to their oil level, and the lack of a long history on the 10th, I would be leery. Oil level is very critical on turbo cars, or so I have heard.
This is pretty much how I feel.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Sorry Easymike, the bad news is you will be making car payments soooner than you thought.

The good news and most importantly is you get to drive another day. Good job keeping the Accord going straight. Also, now is a good time to be car buying. I doubt you could buy anything today and spend just 2k after 150k miles. I just don't like the 1.5 turbo concept. Using a small motor and putting a turbo on it. It may not have any problems but I'd probably switch brands to Toyota. The good news is the Camry and Accord have been around a while now so hopefully they have it perfected. If possible, I'd pass on used. You could check out a Civic with a NA motor before you jump ship. Check the best financing deals and make a low ball offer at the end of the month if you can wait. It may all come down to dollars and which manufacturer is giving the best deals now. Good luck

·
Honda Enthusiast
1,738 Posts
I need more clarification on how this happened. The OP was attempting a left turn across traffic? The same location as the line of cars coming out of the shopping center?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It felt like someone in the back seat area kicking the back of my seat as hard as they possibly could with both feet. We all walked away, but holy crap did it scare us.
I get a little sick every time i imagine what it felt like, but it was like someone threw a couch at me. My 2 year old son was in a rear facing car seat and started crying as i came to a stop on the side of the road, I don't want to hear him cry like that again. He calmed down after about a minute when i took him out and let him sit on my lap in the front. then he started talking about the moon and the lights and I was finally OK.

Good job avoiding a head on with that -what is it a red Element?
I remembered it as a full size pickup, and was surprised it was just an average SUV. I thought maybe a Pilot in the footage, but could be an Element?

I need more clarification on how this happened. The OP was attempting a left turn across traffic? The same location as the line of cars coming out of the shopping center?
Yes, I hung back to let other cars pull out first before turning left into that lot across the street. Due to the angle of the camera, it looks a little further back than it really was, but I gave room for cars to go straight across since I hate when incoming cars block the exit on me. I also hung back a little to make it clear that I intended to allow them to exit.

The good news and most importantly is you get to drive another day. Good job keeping the Accord going straight. Also, now is a good time to be car buying. ... If possible, I'd pass on used.
It was definitely a close one. We missed by inches, and it only worked out like that because I was far enough from the inlet that I wouldn't have my wheels cut to the left while I waited. If my wheels were turned, I'd have been in that other car's grille for sure. Also, yes, I'm eagerly waiting the "Happy Honda Days!" ads to see what I can find. I'm leaning toward new, and i'll get better financing options with lower interest as well.

Everyone likes a good story right? Here goes:

I was waiting to turn and i see headlights in my rear-view waaaay down the street. Where i was waiting, the road is wide enough for a large vehicle to pass at 30mph without worry. I fully expected her to drive around me like any other car. I was waiting to turn, so my attention was in front. When I glanced in the mirror again, she was about 200-300ft back and still coming right at me. It took me a second or two to realize that no, this car was not passing or slowing down. I threw it in gear and floored it, which you can see in the video I BARELY started moving by the time she hit me, but my wheels were straight, free and rolling. The bad news is that with the car rolling, we took more of the impact in the seat, feeling the jolt. The good news is that also because I was rolling, she didn't come into my back seat AND I was already focused on driving the car instead of waiting my turn, so I was hard on the wheel to turn back out of oncoming traffic the second I saw headlights in my face and I was able to steer through it and get to safety.

If I sat on my brakes, she'd have crushed the rear even worse and and I don't know what would've happened to my son. If I didn't see her coming, I wouldn't have been able to maneuver at all. If the other oncoming car wasn't paying attention, I'd have caught him with at least half of the front end and who knows what could've happened. Everybody was looking at the road EXCEPT for the car behind me who didn't even slow down.

There's a lesson here. Stay off your phone, and DO check your rear-view in traffic, you can't trust everyone to do their part.

I went back yesterday to get into the trunk and saw that the spare tire was jammed up into the back of the seat. if she hit me much harder, that seat would've come into the cabin and flipped down on my son. needless to say I'm furious that someone could be so negligent, especially since you can see that I was sitting there in a well-lit area with lights and signal on for about 7 full seconds before the hit. that's 7 seconds that she didn't know I was just a few hundred feet ahead on a straight road.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I hope they throw the book at the other driver, OMG, your kid was in the car that changes everything. Feel for you guys. I think I can see the car seat in the pics, all too close for comfort. If you have any more young kids at home or plan on having more, IMO, a sedan will start feeling small in a hurry.

·
Doritos Spinner
3,841 Posts
Yeah, that looks like a total loss to me. Even if it isn't, I don't think it would be in your best interest to have it back.

So is the other driver distracted? Don't get how your phone is addicting to the point that you have to look at it while driving.

Sent from GM1917. Technology!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry to see this happened. It looks like you did what you could to mitigate the collision. Beyond that the car did its job and protected you.

Don’t forget, the child seat is toast. You need to cut the straps and discard it. Check with your insurance as sometimes they’ll cover replacement costs for a seat...... did for my brother in law recently when they hit a deer and trashed his car.

·
Honda Enthusiast
1,738 Posts
Yes, I hung back to let other cars pull out first before turning left into that lot across the street. Due to the angle of the camera, it looks a little further back than it really was, but I gave room for cars to go straight across since I hate when incoming cars block the exit on me. I also hung back a little to make it clear that I intended to allow them to exit.
There was your mistake. You are on the public right of way, making a left turn across an oncoming lane of said right of way; YOU HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY over anyone attempting a turn out of a private drive/parking lot. Why you would do that is beyond me. Follow the rules of the road and let other drivers figure out their own situations. Those exiting the parking lot could plan better by making a right turn and making a block or exiting the parking lot at a protected point (traffic light).

You NEVER yield to those on private drives or anyone in reverse for that matter.

You’re a bigger man than I...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Seems like
There was your mistake. You are on the public right of way, making a left turn across an oncoming lane of said right of way; YOU HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY over anyone attempting a turn out of a private drive/parking lot. Why you would do that is beyond me. Follow the rules of the road and let other drivers figure out their own situations. Those exiting the parking lot could plan better by making a right turn and making a block or exiting the parking lot at a protected point (traffic light).

You NEVER yield to those on private drives or anyone in reverse for that matter.
Seems like he was yielding to oncoming traffic and simply chose to not wait blocking the exit from the lot.

·
Honda Enthusiast
1,738 Posts
Seems like

Seems like he was yielding to oncoming traffic and simply chose to not wait blocking the exit from the lot.
Not following traffic code. Turning left in the situation above will involve blocking the path for those exiting the private drive. Those exiting the private drive have no claims to right of way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not following traffic code. Turning left in the situation above will involve blocking the path for those exiting the private drive. Those exiting the private drive have no claims to right of way.
So is your objection to him stopping, or him stopping 50’ from where he should have stopped?

·
Honda Enthusiast
1,738 Posts
The distance. In any event it wouldn’t have prevented the other driver from colliding, but perhaps OP could have turned into the lot sooner and have been out of the way for the distracted driver.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Although I agree with @DARKART that OP should've pulled up further, the traffic flow in the opposing direction makes the collision almost inevitable. Where OP stopped wouldn't have made a real difference here assuming the at fault driver was distracted up until the moment of collision.

·
Registered
581 Posts
There's a lesson here. Stay off your phone, and DO check your rear-view in traffic, you can't trust everyone to do their part.
ANOTHER "lesson" here is NEVER turn your wheels towards oncoming traffic when sitting still about to turn. If you would have done that, the consequences would have been much worse for you and the people in the oncoming car. Glad it wasn't worse!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts