Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Captain Slow
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to the Honda Dealership to purchase a touch up pen for my 2008 Honda Accord Coupe EX. I already know the paint code and everything. My car has both light and deep scratches. Any suggestions/advice on how I apply the touch up? Do I need anything else? I've never done this before.:dunno:

·
Registered
249 Posts
A little advice from my own experience, after I bought my car I also went and got a bottle of touch up paint and touched up my car. I went to Michael's Arts & Crafts (you can go to any local art store) and I purchased a few very fine tipped paint brushes. The one that the bottle comes with is to thick for scratches (a lesson learned with my last accord). Apply thin layers with the brushes and allow drying time in between, say 10 min between each coat. Sometimes some scratches are better left alone as you don't want to draw any more unwanted attention to the scratch with a bad touch up job. Especially if the scratch is in a noticeable place where it's easily visible (another lesson learned with my last accord lol). Good luck!

·
Registered
833 Posts
You basically need to apply it on the curve where it scratches.

Apply couple coats over time so it builds up to even out with the initial paint.

Wet sand with 2000 grits sand paper and buft it back will achieve the best result.

·
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV
3,260 Posts
A little advice from my own experience, after I bought my car I also went and got a bottle of touch up paint and touched up my car. I went to Michael's Arts & Crafts (you can go to any local art store) and I purchased a few very fine tipped paint brushes. The one that the bottle comes with is to thick for scratches (a lesson learned with my last accord). Apply thin layers with the brushes and allow drying time in between, say 10 min between each coat. Sometimes some scratches are better left alone as you don't want to draw any more unwanted attention to the scratch with a bad touch up job. Especially if the scratch is in a noticeable place where it's easily visible (another lesson learned with my last accord lol). Good luck!
You basically need to apply it on the curve where it scratches.

Apply couple coats over time so it builds up to even out with the initial paint.

Wet sand with 2000 grits sand paper and buft it back will achieve the best result.
Both excellent advices BUT:

If you don't know what you are doing (as is the case for most people including myself), DO NOT attempt to sand and buff. I tried the sanding part and let me tell you, I made the scratch much worse. Also, I noticed the PMM touch-up paint, even after applying few coats, turns out lighter than rest of the car.

In other words, don't do it if you aren't absolutely sure touch up can make it better. Most small shallow scratches should be left alone IMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts