Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I have removed bumpers, baked headlights, etc on multiple 2nd gen Eclipses and my last Scion Tc which usually turned out to be a day long event.

Removing the bumper of this Accord was really too simple. Took me less than 20 mins following the collegehillshonda youtube video directions for installing the sports grill. Around 20+ retainer clips, and 2 screws. I will admit that one portion of the bumpers tab was broken on the passenger side when I started pulling it away from the body. I know that I read before that this was not uncommon.

So for anyone thinking that swapping headlights, or pulling the bumper is difficult, it is not. I had no special tools, only a flat head screwdriver for the clips, a 10mm socket with extensions, philips head SD, and needle nose pliers for some wire harnesses.

Getting back to the lights. The LED DLR look good for what they are although I wish they were more like Audi and had reflectors built throughout the housing to pronounce the overall effect instead of each bulb being super bright. I was really surprised how blue/purple the LED headlights were when I ran them tonight.

I will be the first to admit that I have never owned OEM HID's, but have had a set of P&P HID's back about 5 years ago on my Scion and still have one on my Honda motorcycle. In my personal opinion, these LED lights have a slight blue/purple to them. This is not inherently bad, as I thought it gave the car a touch of European class, but for those wanting pure white, beware. The LED DRL however are closer to pure white.

As soon as I find a nice set of 19" or 20" wheels (looking for old fashioned silver, not this hyper silver stuff) that actually fit the car without it being slammed (read not +35 offset), I will be lowering the car either via springs or coilovers depending on what is available. Once that is done, and have tinted the windows I will likely be done.

Questions or comments are more than welcome.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I'm more interested in how the wiring went. I'd really prefer oem hids, but I'm curious how the swap went as far as ballasts and bulbs. My mother in law has a touring, but intend for the coupe and in Hondas infinite wisdom, they decided that hids were not an option on the coupes as far as I know. Looks good though.

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
So I'm more interested in how the wiring went. I'd really prefer oem hids, but I'm curious how the swap went as far as ballasts and bulbs. My mother in law has a touring, but intend for the coupe and in Hondas infinite wisdom, they decided that hids were not an option on the coupes as far as I know. Looks good though.
The Touring headlights use LED low beams. No ballasts or bulbs to worry about.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did u buy the harness from hardtop? Or u made it yourself? If so, can u show me how, im very interest...
purchased from hardtop. I'll admit its over priced but my time and frustration is worth that amount that he is charging. Overall, his harness works as advertised with no issues so far.

The Touring headlights use LED low beams. No ballasts or bulbs to worry about.
What he said. I purchased the headlight assembly in full, and with the HTG harness it was plug n plag.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Same here, I did this over a year ago and and got my lights and harness from HTG. Love the lights. I have HID on both MDX and the LED is better and a bit bluer.

Here is my night pic thread with different lights. Note, my '04 MDX had halogen projectors in this comparo which has been replaced by an 07 MDX with HID.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update

UPDATE: So in short, I found out that HTG harness has some short falls. I thought I researched this whole endeavor quite extensively and never saw some of these issues until today.

In short, build your own harness.

See this thread for all the details.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175834

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
UPDATE: So in short, I found out that HTG harness has some short falls. I thought I researched this whole endeavor quite extensively and never saw some of these issues until today.

In short, build your own harness.

See this thread for all the details.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175834
I have not found any issues with the HTG harness in a year. Am I missing something? Many cars have different powered LED DRLs under different lighting circumstances which is how the HGT works-like stock.

As a side bar, some cars have the DRL turn off when a signal is placed on to prevent the LED DRL from masking the signal light up front. I have heard some complain about this with other models but it is a good thing for cars with the LED DRL near the front signal. I saw a Cayenne that did not shut down the DRL and you can barely see that the signal is on as it is buried in the brightness of the DRL. Chrusler, GM, Audi, have the DRL shut off on the signal side and it may look "silly" but there is a good reason for it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have not found any issues with the HTG harness in a year. Am I missing something? Many cars have different powered LED DRLs under different lighting circumstances which is how the HGT works-like stock.

As a side bar, some cars have the DRL turn off when a signal is placed on to prevent the LED DRL from masking the signal light up front. I have heard some complain about this with other models but it is a good thing for cars with the LED DRL near the front signal. I saw a Cayenne that did not shut down the DRL and you can barely see that the signal is on as it is buried in the brightness of the DRL. Chrusler, GM, Audi, have the DRL shut off on the signal side and it may look "silly" but there is a good reason for it.
If you refer to the link it states what some might consider minor deficiencies. Such as you cannot flash your high beams with the harness, instead the LED DRL get brighter, at what looks like should be their full brightness. This is what made me determine that the LEDs are not as bright as they should. Instead I wired the LED DRL with an additional relay that would give them their full 12v.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts