Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first bought my car I didn't like the idea of the Tpms. I frequently check my tire pressures. (every two weeks) I didn't like the idea of the extra expense when a sensor goes bad or needs reset.

My wife and I was driving on a 4 lane highway when I noticed the Tpms light come on. No noise, no difference in steering, everything seemed normal. I continued to drive 3 to 4 miles until I could find a safe place to pull over and check things out.

It was a screw in the passenger side rear tire and there was plenty of air left in it. I plugged and aired the tire up and we were on our way again. I am thankful I didn't have to fix on the side of the road.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Just last week I was on the highway. The SUV in front of me had a "nearly" flat rear tire. All that excess tire flexing at 70 mph must have caused it to overheat because it exploded. BOOM! Fortunately the driver had skills and safely pulled the car off the road. (Why the driver could not tell his tire was almost flat, I do not know.) But had his car had a TPMS, I'm sure he would have had a better day. For a tire that unexpectedly and rapidly loses air, a TPMS is a nice safety feature.

·
Registered
682 Posts
We had a few days at a 100 degrees here followed by a morning at 48 and as I was pulling out my driveway the light came on. The dealer must have filled the tires hot. :headbash:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was under the impression that the TPMS system works closely with the TCS. If there is a flat tire it would cause a disruption the rotational speed of that tire causing the TCS to kick in? It could cause an accident no? That's the main reason why they included the TPMS?

·
Registered
570 Posts
That's the main reason why they included the TPMS?
Actually, TPMS is mandatory on all cars and suv's sold in the U.S. now, thanks to that little fiasco a few years ago with the flipping & flying Fords and their underinflated Bridgestone/Firestone tires.

·
Registered
851 Posts
yea, it saved me too, i prob would have had to change my tire about now if tpms werent standard in cars now a days, i had a self drive in screw really close to my sidewall, so i got a pull throw patch put on which is holding and im happy that i dont have to cough up 200 bucks for a tire that doesn't keep road noise to a minimal amount

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi OP. I know exactly what you mean. I never had TPMS on any of my cars prior to my Accord and it came in really handy last year. Last year around January, the temperature in Toronto was about -13 Farenheit (-25 celcius) and it was FREEZING COLD. I started my car, let the engine warmup and drove off. TPMS light came on after a few minutes and it really got me worried especially with the weather outside - I couldn't even stand outside for a few seconds let alone bending down and checking the tire pressure and what not. I called Honda Roadside assistance only to find out ALL of my tires lost 5 psi of pressure. I drove to the nearest gas station, filled up air in my tires and haven't seen that light since!

Had it not been for the light, I would have just continued driving like an idiot.

·
2019 Sport
21 Posts
Anybody find the TPMS a little to sensitive (is that possible) I w as on vacation for about 10 days, when I came back home and hoped in the car TPMS light was on Ok fine. Got out looked at the tires they appeared ok but still broke out the gauge and checked, all of the tires were between 26 and 29 psi, recommended psi is 31, I promptly got in the car and drove home.

When I got home I filled it with my air compressor and all is well but isn't that a bit to sensitive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Anybody find the TPMS a little to sensitive (is that possible) I w as on vacation for about 10 days, when I came back home and hoped in the car TPMS light was on Ok fine. Got out looked at the tires they appeared ok but still broke out the gauge and checked, all of the tires were between 26 and 29 psi, recommended psi is 31, I promptly got in the car and drove home.

When I got home I filled it with my air compressor and all is well but isn't that a bit to sensitive.
maybe but better to be safe than sorry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts