Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally use an ATEQ Quickset Tool to switch the ECU between my summer and winter wheels, both sets using their own 4 OEM Honda TPMS sensors. With my new lower profile setup I was running more pressure - around 38 PSI. This approach was fine until I put on some interstate miles and the "TPMS" light illuminated and stayed lit. In the past this had happened when pressure exceeded spec so I thought it may self correct with some deflation to 32 PSI cold and some driving. Not so much; so I took the car to the wheel shop that did my install. Unfortunately I fear they did more harm than good with their reset tools because the "TPMS" is gone but now I get a flashing low pressure (_?_) indicator. I've checked and rechecked and the tires are at 32 PSI.

I've read about techniques to reset the sensors via deflation so I boosted each tire to 44 PSI, dropped to 18 PSI, then restored to 32 and drove above 28 MPH for some time. No luck - the low pressure indicator stays blinking.

When I returned home I used the ATEQ to shuffle between winter and summer sets and when winter is sent to the ECU both "TPMS" and "(_?_)" illuminate as expected since the corresponding sensors are in my basement. Summer set (on the car) return the flashing "(_?_)" and no "TPMS."

I have a dealer appointment on Monday but I know that they will give me grief working with OEM sensors in very aftermarket wheels. Likewise my set is road force balanced so I'd prefer not to have to unmount the tires to play with the sensors directly. They helped break in my last wheels the wrong way :\

Thoughts? I'll try another tire shop but would like to understand the problem.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Did you try 36 PSI? This is the amount I ran when I had on the stock 17" and it's the same amount I'm running now with the HFP 19" with no issue whatsoever. Maybe you have a defective TPMS.

·
Streets Nightmare
75 Posts
doom did you have any luck, what was the end result. My car had tpms light on and I had tire shop tried to reset it. the end results was the blinking low pressure light (!). I did my search here and found out it was learning but no luck, I just hit 30 miles and its still on. im going to keep drive hoping its just the speed.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It literally came down to the electronics used by the shops. Discount Tire branches haven't given me any grief at all.

·
Streets Nightmare
75 Posts
thanks doom for the reply, im going to the dealership to get rid of the problem

·
Registered
327 Posts
After finding out that the dealer was going to charge me over $100 to sync my new TPMS sensors, I just live with the warning light.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You shouldn't give up so easily. Most non-dealer shops will do it for free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts