Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, after months of lurking these forums, I've decided to post a quick tip. I drive a 2013 accord coupe ex 6MT 4cyl. I've recently had snow tires installed on the vehicle at a Honda dealer. The receipt I got shows the details of what they did. "32 psi each tire checked". Well that was wrong they are supposed to have 33psi in each tire. So I went ahead checking the tire pressure after the dealer installed and supposingly adjusted the air pressure and each tire had less than 30 psi... clearly the dealer lies about their work on the receipt you get from the service. Anyways enough of that rant.

After changing the tires or even changing the air pressure I learned the TPMS has to be reset. That can be done one of two ways. The easiest way is to press the tpms button underneath the eco button , hold it in until the tpms indicator on the dash blinks twice. So from there I thought I was done. However , I noticed every time I turned the car on the tpms symbol would stay lit up for a few seconds. I thought this was odd and read the manual for details. Apparently to completely reset the tpms it requires 30minutes of constant driving at a certain speed. So once you've done that the light won't come on anymore briefly after startup. (You don't have to drive for 30 minutes straight, the reset will still resume even if you turn off the car for a period of time)

·
Crosseyed and Gearless
298 Posts
i guess that makes sense because TPMS isn't measuring pressure directly but calculating it from wheel rotation, so if you press the button while parked the wheel ain't rotating and nothing happens till you drive the car. it must take samples while you are driving, maybe at certain speeds, average them and use that to determine when something has changed.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Hello there, after months of lurking these forums, I've decided to post a quick tip. I drive a 2013 accord coupe ex 6MT 4cyl. I've recently had snow tires installed on the vehicle at a Honda dealer. The receipt I got shows the details of what they did. "32 psi each tire checked". Well that was wrong they are supposed to have 33psi in each tire. So I went ahead checking the tire pressure after the dealer installed and supposingly adjusted the air pressure and each tire had less than 30 psi... clearly the dealer lies about their work on the receipt you get from the service. Anyways enough of that rant.
The dealer (any tire change place) is not lying to you - the pressure will be high when checked at higher indoor temperature and will go down if the ambient temperature is much lower (in your case). Best time to check air pressure is in the morning before moving your car. When I had the snow tires mounted, I asked for 40 psi since it was much warmer in the garage. When I checked in the morning, the pressure was 36 psi which is what I wanted. Just remember PV=nRT. If the temperature goes down, your pressure will go down as well as explained by this ideal gas law.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The receipt I got shows the details of what they did. "32 psi each tire checked". Well that was wrong they are supposed to have 33psi in each tire. So I went ahead checking the tire pressure after the dealer installed and supposingly adjusted the air pressure and each tire had less than 30 psi... clearly the dealer lies about their work on the receipt you get from the service. Anyways enough of that rant.
And you can prove that your tire pressure gauge is 100% accurate, can't you?

·
Registered
101 Posts
The dealer (any tire change place) is not lying to you - the pressure will be high when checked at higher indoor temperature and will go down if the ambient temperature is much lower (in your case). Best time to check air pressure is in the morning before moving your car. When I had the snow tires mounted, I asked for 40 psi since it was much warmer in the garage. When I checked in the morning, the pressure was 36 psi which is what I wanted. Just remember PV=nRT. If the temperature goes down, your pressure will go down as well as explained by this ideal gas law.
That is correct. Also, after driving tire pressures will also be higher because of all the air moving around in the tire heats up. Thats more of a cause of inaccurate tire temps down here in South Florida.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts