Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from the Honda dealership where I had sensors installed and programmed and I was told that the sensors are not compatible with my 2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4Dr. The system generates a TPMS light and throws 5 error codes:

DTC 32 Tire1 Pressure Sensor Signal Failure
DTC 34 Tire2 Pressure Sensor Signal Failure
DTC 36 Tire3 Pressure Sensor Signal Failure
DTC 38 Tire4 Pressure Sensor Signal Failure
DTC 41 Abnormal Signal Reception Error

They told me to buy 4 new sensors from them with the part code 42753-SWA-316 which is the proper sensor for my car. The ebay ad I bought these from said that the 42753-SWA-A53 was compatible, but apparently not with Canadian Accords?

Has anyone ever came across this problem? I'm using them with 2002 Acura RSX-S 16" alloys.. they fit fine... seem to link up fine but after driving around the TPMS light keeps coming on with those codes.

Honda wants me to pay for new sensors, mounting and balancing and re-programming... lots of additional cost for getting the wrong sensors for cheap on ebay. :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would suggest getting another opinion. While it is very possible that the sensors you bought are not compatible with your car, it could also be possible that the dealer wants to sell you 4 new sensors, mounting, balancing and re-programming.

Maybe try a tire shop and see what they can do?

Also, if the tires are already balanced with the sensors installed, re-balancing really shouldn't be needed. All the shop has to do to replace the sensor is break the bead in the area around the sensor. Assuming the new sensor weighs the same as the old one, the position of the tire on the wheel isn't going to change.

The dealer probably wants a huge amount of money, right? I needed to buy 1 sensor from a dealer in Germany (for a U.S. spec car) and it was $130! Got 4 from Tire Rack for the same price.

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
So let me get this straight... you're taking eBay's word over the dealership's word? The basic fact is that the part numbers aren't the same. Buy the correct TPMS sensors and take it back to the dealer. It's unlikely that an independent tire shop has better programming tools for a Honda than the dealership that is meant to work on dozens of them each day. Not every dealership is out to make ridiculous claims in the hope of ripping off an unsuspecting customer. Again, eBay's word over a dealer's word? Really?

And as for buying a TPMS sensor in Germany, WTH did you expect? It's a different continent!! Ever go to a dealer in the US and order German-spec parts??

Sorry for the condescending tone but I just cannot comprehend the logic that has been used here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
CM6,
Wow, what a horse's butt. All the OP did was ask for some help. The sensors he bought might be the wrong ones or just maybe the dealer isn't interested in helping. The fact that the dealer wants to balance tires for a sensor change sends up a red flag.

Suggesting a second opinion to try and salvage an ebay buy isn't a bad idea.

You know what one of the big problems is with the internet? Jerks like you get to post.

GX FXXX YXXXXXF. See if you are smart enough to decode that one.

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
Apparently my last post was quite offensive so I will try to keep my rebuttal short and sweet. When I worked at a Honda dealership, in service, we always broke down tires completely to change a TPMS sensor. Not because we were out to punish the customer because theirs had failed, but because breaking the bead just enough to reinstall a sensor is too risky, and if you're breaking the first bead, you might as well break the second and make it easier. Maybe the tire would be off balance, causing an inconvenience to the customer. I was, rather bluntly, stating that I would guess that if the dealer says it won't work and the part isn't correct, maybe OP should cut his losses and buy the correct part. If the sensors were compatible, they wouldn't be any harder to program than the vehicle-specific sensor.

And yes, I decoded your message. :thumbup: I'm feeling quite intelligent for figuring that one out.

Forgive me for the last post. It is what I believe. I'm sorry if we don't think alike. :)

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I did some digging and the sensor part number according to the college hills honda site is the wrong one... the 316 replaced the A54 not A53.. I'm not even sure what car the A53 was for??

http://www.collegehillshondaparts.c...-18-sbc/sensor-assy-tpms-wol-20/42753-swa-316

Our canadian parts site also lists A54 not A53 also.

http://torontohondaparts.com/Honda/...)/42753-SWA-306?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

At least the Ebay seller is willing to give me a full refund, knowing that I would have to actually unmount the tires to return the product to him.

The main reason of the post was to fish for anyone who had a problem with this particular sensor (A53) which is recommended by (Amazon/Ebay/TPMS.com) for 8th gen accords but may not actually be compatible. So buyer be warned.

I spoke directly to the tech and he said the TPMS control unit links up or learns the TPMS sensor fine.. he resets the TPMS error code and then it re-appears after driving around. I would assume if the frequency was off (315mhz is what Honda uses), the control unit wouldn't even be able to learn the new sensor... so its something else about the sensor or maybe my wheels.

Id be curious if I opened up my summer alloys which are stock what part number reads on those sensors since they are from 2008... likely A54

Edit - Just found this thread looks like this guy has the same 5 error codes I do, but he has yet to resolve it.

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-present/68447-tpms-light-dash.html

Another that seems to imply the sensors may not have been activated properly.

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...nt/32904-making-tpms-sensors-operational.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have nothing to add, except I'm surprised a Honda dealership let you supply the sensors that he installed. No dealer around here would consider that option for even a second. It's Hodna's part or nothing.

If I misunderstood what you said, just ignore this psot.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have nothing to add, except I'm surprised a Honda dealership let you supply the sensors that he installed. No dealer around here would consider that option for even a second. It's Hodna's part or nothing.

If I misunderstood what you said, just ignore this psot.
Well they are Honda sensors.... just not compatible with my car. College Hills Honda suspects they are grey market sensors.. if you google the part number there are pages of overstock sites trying to unload these sensors to companies.. and they are all over ebay. Maybe they are knock offs? I don't know.

Why the honda part number history runs from A51 A52 skips A53 then goes to A54 is beyond me.. still trying to figure it out for curiosity sake.

With that said.. my honda dealer will install anything I ask them too.. with the expressed knowledge that it won't be warrantied. I supply my own old/filter... even brake pads and rotors if need be.. lol.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would suggest getting another opinion. While it is very possible that the sensors you bought are not compatible with your car, it could also be possible that the dealer wants to sell you 4 new sensors, mounting, balancing and re-programming.

Maybe try a tire shop and see what they can do?

Also, if the tires are already balanced with the sensors installed, re-balancing really shouldn't be needed. All the shop has to do to replace the sensor is break the bead in the area around the sensor. Assuming the new sensor weighs the same as the old one, the position of the tire on the wheel isn't going to change.

The dealer probably wants a huge amount of money, right? I needed to buy 1 sensor from a dealer in Germany (for a U.S. spec car) and it was $130! Got 4 from Tire Rack for the same price.

You were right all along. After seeing this thread, where a guy with the same gen accord and the same TPMS sensors (from ebay) got them to work.. i went to a tire shop and they programmed my ebay sensors... they have been working for almost a week now with no light!!! :thmsup::thmsup::thmsup::thmsup:

I'm going to ream Honda for wasting my time and money on a tech that obviously didn't know how to program new sensors properly.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2166370&posted=1#post2166370

1 - 9 of 9 Posts