Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I got to spend the day at our local race track (Castrol Raceway Edmonton) to try the Accord at speed. It's more of a high speed chase as opposed to a full open track, but it was a lot of fun. I put together a highlight reel of my day for my own entertainment, but I thought you guys would also enjoy seeing what an Accord on a track is like.

Check it out:

I'm obviously a total amateur, and it was my first go around this track, so my lines, braking, and shifts weren't the best, but it was neat seeing improvement throughout the day. Actually being able to heel/toe properly was great and when you nail it, it's a fantastic feeling.

The Accord held up really well for the most part, it's obviously not a track car, and I did very little prep to set it up. The only notable mods so far are intake, and front/rear sway bars (V6 F & Progress R). Overall the suspension and sway bars held up really well, the car is very controlled around the corners and the understeer (and body roll) while present is very much dialed in tremendously thanks to the sway bar setup.

The obvious major cons with the Accord however are the brakes. Since it was a very technical course (very few straights) they were totally inadequate for an event like this, and were overheated in 5-7 laps. It felt like mush after and I realized I needed to take a big rest for it to cool down. One other thing, the EPS steering in the Accord could use more feedback, as it's pretty vague around the bends.

Anyway, with some decent track tires, and a better brake setup the Accord would be not bad... Not even close to a Miata or FRS, but it would still be pretty fun. Overall I had a blast, I'd recommend everyone try their car on the track if they get a chance, you get to really see the limits of your car, and I feel like I'm a better driver because of it.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
I was hoping to hear the engine sound on the track but it was replaced with music :(

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was hoping to hear the engine sound on the track but it was replaced with music :(

Haha, like I said, it was a fun highlight reel for my own enjoyment. If you want I can upload a in car video of one of my laps without sound and you can hear the engine a lot better.

I'll work on it.

That helmet looks so out of place in the Accord.
It's true, wearing a helmet in the car felt so out of place. That's my motorcycle helmet for when I ride my motorcycle.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I thought your video was professional grade quality. You must have given a fair amount of thought to how you wanted this recorded - lenses, camera placement, editing, etc. Great work.

·
The Shadow displaced Bug Magnet
2020 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T in Modern Steel Metallic
486 Posts
I actually like the music and thought it added appropriate tempo and mood to the suspense of starting on the track.

Well done.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Looks like fun! I could never master heel/toe in my G. The pedals seemed too far apart for my size 11 medium width shoe. Eventually gave up trying to master it.

What cameras were used for recording?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks like fun! I could never master heel/toe in my G. The pedals seemed too far apart for my size 11 medium width shoe. Eventually gave up trying to master it.

I also own a 6MT G35s sedan. I have to agree that the clutch travel and brake/gas pedal placement is always a little off.

Sometimes I still miss heel/toe because of the different shoes that I am wearing or where my foot hit the brake pedal.

I can do it more consistently on the track though because I will be wearing the shoes that I know works well and I would concentrate more I guess.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Yeah it was a blast! The Accord has decent pedal placement, and it took awhile to get use to it, but I found it way easier to do it on a track, as opposed to the streets.

The static window camera was my Dash Cam. DOD LS300W. All the other shots were with the GoPro Hero HD (original). The original GoPro has some pretty terrible white-balance and the low light performance is even worse, but it got the job done since it was a nice day with lots of lighting. The new ones are a lot better in this regards, but so utterly expensive....

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
^^Maybe it would be easier if the G pedal was hinged from the top rather than bottom. I usually drive in sneakers/gym shoes. Is there a particular shoe that makes pedal feel better?

Ordered a mobius camera, should be here by week's end. Just in time to record the upcoming road trip.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Is there a particular shoe that makes pedal feel better?
I just bought a pair of Fila memory foam running shoes. Before that I was driving with regular cross training Nikes. The difference in feel is like night and day. Felt like I had a much better feel for the car in running shoes. Probably because of the soft thin sole.

OP thanks for the video. Gives a good idea of what the car can do on the track. I enjoyed it a great deal.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For those asking, I've posted some raw footage of one of my runs without any background music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOlSjyjJpjY
It's no Best Motoring/Tsukuba battle, but it gives you some indication of how the car will perform, and some nice Honda engine sounds... :smile

Cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts