Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum World,

This is my first post on the forum (so don't hate I'm a noob). I have searched the forums and have come up unsuccessfully for the question that I had.

Background: I am new to tracking my 11 Accord v6 coupe, and have done it once with great success. Except my rotors did not last very long and now look more like vinyl records than disk brakes. I have another track day coming up and would like to upgrade to SS lines, drilled/slotted rotors, street/track pads, and DOT4 fluid.

Research: I have done some research and come across kits like the powerstop street warrior kits and EBC yellow stuff with 3GD rotors. I have not found many reviews on performance rotors that drivers used for tracking, nor many reviews for Accord drivers with these upgrades. Many people have said that yellow stuff is great which I'd like to stick with, but am open to any suggestions for performance rotors? This car is also my DD as I work my way up to purchasing a dedicated track car.

Conclusion: I am open to all suggestions and understand I have a lot to learn, but you have to start somewhere right? If there is another post about this please let me know and I will happily move onto that thread to review that information. Thanks all for the help!

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
There are a few other guys up here that have taken their Accords to the track using upgraded brake parts! I can't recall them off-hand though. R1 Concepts has a pretty well-developing and well-accepted presence here on DriveAccord, so check their site out for their parts. I'm a noob when it comes to performance brakes so I can't help much as I stick to basic solid rotors and whatnot.
ThrowDown Performance is also a well-known entity here on DriveAccord. Check them out for their deals. They have Techna-Fit SS lines, which are allegedly really good. XLR8 also makes reportedly good SS lines.

My suggestion: take some time and search the forum for different people's reports on brake upgrades (RL BBK, SS lines, etc). There's a wealth of information lying around.. just gotta go through a bunch of crap to find it lol :cool:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
For brake pads, I recommend Carbotech XP8 or XP10 brake pads. For rotors, just go with any blank rotor. There is no need for spending extra on drilled/slotted rotors in my opinion. Run a brake fluid with a high boiling point such as Motul, ATE, Stoptech, etc. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! great help. I will search and take a look at the suggest pads and rotors. Didn't want to be running with vinyl records again :smile

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just put the yellowstuff pads in my Tacoma prerunner and I am very very impressed with the stopping power from just the pads. I went with the yellowstuff because i will be towing a lot more with my truck and the stocks pads sucked and really lacked the bite i was looking for.Hope this helps.

·
RacerRik
172 Posts
For brake pads, I recommend Carbotech XP8 or XP10 brake pads. For rotors, just go with any blank rotor. There is no need for spending extra on drilled/slotted rotors in my opinion. Run a brake fluid with a high boiling point such as Motul, ATE, Stoptech, etc. Hope this helps!
This guy knows what he is talking about!! Carbotech pads and blank rotors is all you need for track day events. The pads are very abrasive and will grind down the rotors pretty quickly, but you will be amazed at how well the pads work and do not get overheated on the track.

Your rotors will also look very nice as they are wearing down - they will not look chewed up at all. When I say they will wear fast, I mean plan on buying a new set of rotors when the pads are worn down - the rotors will be finished by then.

The pads will last quite a few track events because they don't melt and come apart like other pads. They will also work on the street if you need that capability. Some folks will swap out the carbotech pads after their track event and then put them back in for the next track day but if that is too much hassle for you, the carbotech pads still have decent bite when cold so you will be Ok for street use - unlike some other high temp pads that have to get hot before they grip.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
My sig setup is as good as you're going to be able to do for track use short of upgrading to a BBK. Stoptech drilled rotors, Hawk HP+ pads, RBF600 fluid, stainless lines. The rears are regular blank rotors and Akebono performance pads. HP+ pads don't fade...even after the caliper is fire-hot.

Use Permatex extreme brake grease. Anything else you'll cook.

Plan on destroying the rotors and pads and the fluid.

·
RacerRik
172 Posts
Just a few more things:

Skip the SS brake lines. They will not make a noticeable difference and if you have required safety inspections for license renewal - SS lines are not approved for street use (the inspectors cannot see crack in them like rubber lines).

EBC yellow stuff pads will melt if you drive the car hard on the track - Carbotechs will not. Yellow Stuff pads are fine for autocross and enthusiast street use - just not track events.

Slotted / cross drilled rotors are for show - not go. These machining operations provide stress points for the rotors to crack and do nothing to help the brakes work.

When you run the car on the track with high temp pads, the calipers will get very hot. So when the pads are worn down and you put on new pads and rotors, you need to rebuild the calipers with new fluid seals and dust seals. The old ones will be burnt / brittle.

The fluid also gets punished so plan on flushing it out with new fluid frequently. Ideally after every track event.

Carbotech pads are generally selected by the weight of the car. I would suggest you need the XP10 pads - best to ask Carbotech what they recommend for your car. Sometimes they suggest a mixed combo like XP10 fronts and XP8 rears. I would suggest you do not do that. The friction characteristics are different and mixed pads will upset the brake balance of the car thus decreasing braking capability at the limit when ABS kicks in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts