Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Accord but I live in NYC so size and fuel economy are very important

I been driving more than anticipated so getting a more fuel efficient and smaller car to park on the street would be ideal. I will miss the V6 and heated seats.

Looking at some 2013 base ILX with under 10K miles, dealers asking from $19,000-$21,000

So I am wondering what you guys think or in your experience you have got for your Accords (similar to mine)

2010 Accord Coupe EX-L V6, Belize Blue, Black leather, 40K miles or so, outside in good condition has 1 or 2 thumb size dimple sized marks, one on passenger side door, other on roof.

Kelly Blue Book says $14,000-$15,000
Black book says $11,500-$14,150

In order to make this worth my time I would need $14,000 in trade in. Also, most of the ILX preowned I am looking at are located at Rallye Acura. Any experience with trading in with them?

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,003 Posts
Have you driven the base 2.0 ILX yet? It's slooow.

Your Accord coupe is about 12" longer. Not a huge difference, but it might be enough to make a difference in NYC. :dunno:

But have you figured out when the savings in gas will kick in and benefit you?

Your Accord is rated at 19 city / 28 highway / 22 combined. The ILX is rated at 24 city / 35 highway / 28 combined *and* requires premium gas vs regular for the Accord.

Assuming you get $14,000 for the Accord, how much will you have to pay for the ILX, $19,000? That's $5,000 more. You say you've been driving more than anticipated, but how much do you drive in a year?

Let's say you drive a ridiculous amount... 30K miles a year (twice the national average). Let's also say you're currently getting the advertised 22 combined MPG in the Accord and let's say you'll get the advertised 28 combied MPG for the ILX. Let's say regular fuel is $4.00 a gallon and let's say premium fuel is $4.20 a gallon (premium fuel is usually $0.20 more than regular where I'm at).

Accord: 30,000 miles a year at 22 MPG average at $4.00 a gallon = $5,454.55 in gas a year.

ILX: 30,000 miles a year at 28 MPG average at $4.20 a gallon = $4,500 in gas a year.

That's a difference of $954.55 a year in fuel. This means it will take you a little over 5 years before you start to realize any savings in gas.

If you drive less... like 20,000 miles a year, then the Accord will cost you $3,636.36 a year in fuel at $4.00 a gallon for regular while the ILX will cost you $3,000 a year in fuel at $4.20 a gallon for premium. That's a difference of $636.36 a year and it means it will take you nearly 8 years before you start to realize any savings in gas.

Insurance for the ILX might be more than the Accord too, so if you factor that into the equation it'll take even longer before you start to save $$$ with the ILX.

If you're really looking to save money and you want to stay within the Honda family, look into a Civic. That's what the ILX is anyways... a gussied up Civic with an Acura badge.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts