Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
We made the mistake of test driving a Tesla over the weekend and well, it's kind of amazing. I've loved the Touring 2.0 I have and has been incredibly reliable, but the driving experience of the Tesla and technology in it just is in a different league, price included lol.

I've done the online calculators and just wanted to get feedback on any other thoughts as the car is a late 2018 with about every bell and whistle including the wheels and is all blacked out from the dealer ($45,000) was the asking. I still owe 33 or so on it and any feedback from others who have traded theirs. Mileage on the car is only 8k too. I work from home so it's got next to no wear.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well we have another car too that is almost paid off. Kinda figured as much.

The gas powered cars are just dull to drive after having driven a Tesla. I figured this would be the last gas powered car I'd buy and we might just keep it longer till it gets paid down as a car is never worth being that upside down on. But the question might as well have been asked.

We were just really surprised by how behind all the other auto manufacturers were in comparison to Tesla with the tech, ease of use, and low maintenance. Very disappointing how old this "new" car feels already...

·
Registered
303 Posts
We were just really surprised by how behind all the other auto manufacturers were in comparison to Tesla with the tech, ease of use, and low maintenance. Very disappointing how old this "new" car feels already...
I can appreciate that the driving experience of an electric car surpasses a comparable IC car, but that's about where the benefits end in my opinion. No car is perfect, but it's my understanding that Tesla is still pretty far behind in overall quality, fit and finish and reliability which are things that are very important to me. From what I've read, after your warranty ends, you're SOL and repairing things yourself is difficult.

I, like most people I think, bought a Honda not because it was the flashiest, quickest and coolest. I spent a good chunk of change with the expectation that the car would be reliable, efficient, safe, inexpensive and comfortable for many years. Nearly 4 years in that has been the case, and I'm banking on at least another 10, hopefully more. Buying a manual was my way of injecting some fun into what is essentially a commuter car, but ultimately that is just an unnecessary bonus. My 2 cents.

·
^^vv<><>BA
12,228 Posts
my understanding that Tesla is still pretty far behind in overall quality, fit and finish and reliability.
Quality has improved a lot recently. But there's still room for improvements.

Tesla Model 3 and Model S Regain a Consumer Reports Recommendation

November 14, 2019

Two of Tesla’s three models—the Model 3 and the Model S sedans—have regained a Consumer Reports recommendation because of improved reliability based on the results of our annual survey of CR members.

“The Tesla Model 3 struggled last year as the company made frequent design changes and ramped up production to meet demand,” says Jake Fisher, senior director of auto testing at CR. “But as the production stabilized, we have seen improvements to the reliability.”

Their tech is years ahead of others though

Tesla teardown finds electronics 6 years ahead of Toyota and VW

February 17, 2020

Toyota Motor and Volkswagen each sell 10 million cars, give or take, every year. Tesla delivered about 367,500 in 2019. But when it comes to electronics technology, Elon Musk's scrappy company is far ahead of the industry giants.

This is the takeaway from Nikkei Business Publications' teardown of the Model 3, the most affordable car in the U.S. automaker's all-electric lineup, starting at about $33,000.

What stands out most is Tesla's integrated central control unit, or "full self-driving computer." Also known as Hardware 3, this little piece of tech is the company's biggest weapon in the burgeoning EV market. It could end the auto industry supply chain as we know it.

One stunned engineer from a major Japanese automaker examined the computer and declared, "We cannot do it."

The module -- released last spring and found in all new Model 3, Model S and Model X vehicles -- includes two custom, 260-sq.-millimeter AI chips. Tesla developed the chips on its own, along with special software designed to complement the hardware. The computer powers the cars' self-driving capabilities as well as their advanced in-car "infotainment" system.

This kind of electronic platform, with a powerful computer at its core, holds the key to handling heavy data loads in tomorrow's smarter, more autonomous cars. Industry insiders expect such technology to take hold around 2025 at the earliest.

That means Tesla beat its rivals by six years.

[ . . . . ]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can appreciate that the driving experience of an electric car surpasses a comparable IC car, but that's about where the benefits end in my opinion. No car is perfect, but it's my understanding that Tesla is still pretty far behind in overall quality, fit and finish and reliability which are things that are very important to me. From what I've read, after your warranty ends, you're SOL and repairing things yourself is difficult.

I, like most people I think, bought a Honda not because it was the flashiest, quickest and coolest. I spent a good chunk of change with the expectation that the car would be reliable, efficient, safe, inexpensive and comfortable for many years. Nearly 4 years in that has been the case, and I'm banking on at least another 10, hopefully more. Just my 2 cents.
I agree on the reason for buying in, completely. That said, the being able to repair things yourself, all auto manufacturers are cramming so much stuff in and making it so difficult to repair ourselves it's really no different in the repairability between a Tesla and any other from all the research I've done. Major issues will require a mechanic just like on this car.

I'm sure some people love "thinking" they can fix the car on their own but the reality is the past 2 decades engines have become more tightly packed and less service friendly. Hence having to remove the engine from the vehicle to get access to things or pull the dash completely out. And I'm aware of some of the fit and finish complaints. Some are worse than others, but the panel issues appear to have been resolved an no one goes out and cries how great something is. The internet is a maternity ward for crying.

The accord is a great car, and serves a different group of people. Ii think to adequately convey what it's like you just have to actually drive a Tesla as I was in the same camp as many others before driving. They just sell themselves and it's so refreshing to not have pushy sales staff. You leave without that gross greasy feeling car dealers typically have.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Honda is for safety, reliability and piece of mind in regards to maintainability and parts. I am skeptical about Tesla safety and parts.
My wife did the test drive and she loved it too but her commute to work is 5 miles and I work from home 4 days a week so we are staying with our V6’s. We have MDX too and long drives are very comfortable.

2016 EXL V6

·
^^vv<><>BA
12,228 Posts
Honda is for safety, reliability and piece of mind in regards to maintainability and parts. I am skeptical about Tesla safety and parts.
Model 3 is just as safe as an Accord

And because an electric vehicle has less moving parts, there's less things to break down/require replacing.

Maintenance (and operating) costs for an EV is much lower vs a vehicle with an ICE.

Plus, if there's a bug or something that can be improved upon, Tesla can issue an over-the-air software update to fix it.

·
HK Moderator
13,609 Posts
Honda is for safety, reliability and piece of mind in regards to maintainability and parts.
This is EXACTLY why I will never buy another Honda!

Any company that wants a body part- especially a part of your brain- in exchange for parts, is a sadistic and unscrupulous entity and must be stopped.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can’t afford the Tesla.
Thank you Darkart, any other insightful assumptions you'd like to make? And in what way am I not able to afford the Tesla? Just curious as you seem to know more about others than I do....

I got the Accord because it was inexpensive, comparatively, and having owned a Lexus GS 350 maxed out I was very underwhelmed at the "luxury" they claimed as many auto manufacturers often do. The Teslas have been given the highest crash ratings and the AI systems onboard have avoided many fatalities which is the point of technology isn't it?

Given how much cars (teslas especially included) depreciate in a short period of time I'm more than aware of the hit you take driving off the lot and hence why we may consider the other car we have which is 4 years old at this point. The only purpose of raising the inquiry was to see if anyone had any better experiences in re-sale beyond what you see in KBB or alternative options on the private side even.

The end result for our household isn't if we leave IC vehicles, but when. And as time goes by more and more drivers will have experienced vehicles like a Tesla and it will become more obvious the differences that exist. I'm glad I waited and got the Accord as I think the growing pains that existed 2 years ago would have been frustrating, but many issues most gripe about in the scheme of things are relatively minor. And all cars can have issues. We see many on this forum. And many have good experiences, myself included with the accord. This was never a rant or put down of what Honda has built, otherwise I wouldn't have bought one. And I still love taking care of it. But just as new phones come out and we want the latest, the competition has caught my interest and I really enjoyed it. It's the future whether we like it or not.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thank you Darkart, any other insightful assumptions you'd like to make? And in what way am I not able to afford the Tesla? Just curious as you seem to know more about others than I do....
Read it as "it's a poor financial decision to dump a new car for another one." Which it is, and I think you already know that.
The end result for our household isn't if we leave IC vehicles, but when.
This is the case for all of us because like it or not, I think electric cars are the future. Personally, I'm a "late adopter" so despite the major improvements that have occurred over the last 5 years even, it's still not enough to convince me that a Tesla is a safe bet. Range anxiety, long term maint. etc. are what scare me away, but that will change. I just have no idea when... But what I do know for sure is that every Honda that I've owned has been incredibly reliable.

And now we wait... for the E-Accord. Accord-E? Accord_e_on.

·
Registered
971 Posts
This is EXACTLY why I will never buy another Honda!

Any company that wants a body part- especially a part of your brain- in exchange for parts, is a sadistic and unscrupulous entity and must be stopped.
Fair enough, but at least this is tangible, whereas "peace of mind" has become a catch-all justification for bad financial decisions.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I absolutely get the desire to move to a Tesla. It was THE car I had planned on purchasing next, but then just as I started shopping this video series from TFL -
that made it an impractical option. The video goes over the long waits of fixing minor-ish (definitely not major) body work.

Looking forward to the electric makes in the next 3-5 years, when the Touring has a lot of equity and tax benefits are available.

Would be curious though how it ends up - please share if you don't mind.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,942 Posts
Build quality of Tesla is poor for the price you pay IMO.

Though strangely, in the past few months, their consumer ratings have gone up by a lot...
Defects reported by new owners fell 44% between the third quarter of last year and the third quarter of this year, with reported issues reaching their lowest point in the 21-month period analyzed by Bloomberg in September. Owners described 35 problems per 100 new vehicles in September, down 65% from February, the worst month included in the survey, when there were 101 problems per 100 new vehicles...

When asked how much they enjoyed driving the Model 3, respondents gave a score of 4.97 points out of 5, which Bloomberg described as an unusually high score for a consumer product.
Seems a bit fishy to me.

An Accord will also not retract the door handles so first responders can't get you out of it easily in a crash, before it inevitably catches on fire at least once.

I would never buy one of these cars. Granted, I'll never buy any brand new car, but shady practices and dumb design choices garner an extra no from me.

·
Past Doritos Spinner
4,057 Posts
I, like most people I think, bought a Honda not because it was the flashiest, quickest and coolest. I spent a good chunk of change with the expectation that the car would be reliable, efficient, safe, inexpensive and comfortable for many years. Nearly 4 years in that has been the case, and I'm banking on at least another 10, hopefully more. Buying a manual was my way of injecting some fun into what is essentially a commuter car, but ultimately that is just an unnecessary bonus. My 2 cents.
At least the new Accord still looks better than Model 3 IMO. Model S is a looker, but Model 3 just looks like a knockoff Porsche from the front. It's ugly.

And being a manual driver myself, I won't look at an EV right now because EVs don't have transmissions. For sure if I want a car that doesn't have a third pedal, a hybrid or an EV would be my pick, but as it stands now it's "no manual no care" for me.

Having sat in a Model S before, I also don't really like the giant screen. That's the thing, it feels way too techy, and I don't want a car that's basically a giant smartphone with wheels. I want a car I drive.

Lastly, Tesla owners tend to have this cult-like vibe to them where Elon is their Lord and Savior or something. Just my observation.

Build quality of Tesla is poor for the price you pay IMO.

Though strangely, in the past few months, their consumer ratings have gone up by a lot...

Seems a bit fishy to me.

An Accord will also not retract the door handles so first responders can't get you out of it easily in a crash, before it inevitably catches on fire at least once.

I would never buy one of these cars. Granted, I'll never buy any brand new car, but shady practices and dumb design choices garner an extra no from me.
Not the first time Tesla does something like this, and it won't be the last.

As for the door handle, if you live somewhere cold, the handles may not pop out, so good luck getting to work. I'd think there is a reason no other manufacturers use this design.

Sent from GM1917. Technology!

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,942 Posts
The door handles becoming frozen with ice or simply inoperable has been an issue since the very first generation of cars that they made.

If we're giving opinions, I share Jin's that the Model 3 is ugly as sin.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts